This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is adding Shaman tank spec a good or bad idea?

#41steveoSEKPosted 4/17/2013 11:37:03 AM
a fourth spec for dk's, hmm, a ranged spec? as in, uses bows ranged spec? that could be badass actually.
---
http://i.imgur.com/FKvo0sE.jpg http://gurn.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/eek-a-mouse.jpg http://i.imgur.com/mmsHVBv.jpg
#42piplupzeroPosted 4/17/2013 12:29:40 PM
EDarien posted...
But by all means, defend the billion dollar company that gave up and homogenized most of the classes a long time ago. Seriously, what does any tank, outside of Monk, do that the rest don't? Self-heal? Got it. Damage absorbing shields? Ok. 50% damage reduction on the same, standard CD as all the others? Check. Adding another spec that plays just like the others, but allows more freedom on the player end of choosing their class to be their tank does nothing to make it harder to balance.

Dks have no shield, their physical mitigation requires timing an ability that is also their main DPS ability to get the most out of it so have to consider when best to utilise their limited runes with long recharge timers on. What other tank does this?

Warriors build up rage over the course of a fight that they have to choose to spend on a damage absorb shield or extra block on the fly to keep themselves up. Again, Which class does this?

Paladin have an almost infinite mana pool but need to rely on building up a resource of holy power to 3 in order to either mitigate proactively or heal reactively, with the mitigation improving the heal so maybe delaying the heal till its bigger will give it more use? Which other tank does that?

Classes are far more than the few abilities they share.
---
Timesplitters is the best game series ever! C/C The choice is clear.
#43EDarienPosted 4/17/2013 12:45:34 PM
piplupzero posted...

Dks have no shield, their physical mitigation requires timing an ability that is also their main DPS ability to get the most out of it so have to consider when best to utilise their limited runes with long recharge timers on. What other tank does this?

Warriors build up rage over the course of a fight that they have to choose to spend on a damage absorb shield or extra block on the fly to keep themselves up. Again, Which class does this?

Paladin have an almost infinite mana pool but need to rely on building up a resource of holy power to 3 in order to either mitigate proactively or heal reactively, with the mitigation improving the heal so maybe delaying the heal till its bigger will give it more use? Which other tank does that?

Classes are far more than the few abilities they share.

So the fact that DKs, Bears and Paladins all self-heal, albeit slightly differently means they're all different? One equipment change on the no shield. Except Monks and Bears don't use shields, either. Also, when I said shields, I meant the damage absorbs. I haven't looked at Bear too much lately, but they used to build up a shield the same as DKs did. Paladins also had an absorb with their WoG on overheals, which used to mean something. Warriors and Bears both use rage to build it up to use on defensive CDs, so the "flavor" of the CD is really irrelevant since they all do the same job. Self-HoT vs Dodge vs DK-like Absorb shield (you were saying they're different, though, right?).

The rune mechanic, again looks unique. But it's really just runes generating runic power which functions very similarly to mana which generates Holy Power. Oh but different runes, which all convert during a normal fight and therefore make things much more homogenized after the pull and initial Death Strike gets thrown. Also, the runs have to build up, just like the Paladin abilities have CDs. They're just slightly different mechanics to do the same thing, stop you from spamming your one great ability over and over again.

They're all very minor tweaks of one another. Whether you call it Holy Power and give a max of 5 and have certain abilities generate one each or call it rage, make it stack to 100 and have abilities give 15-20 rage ... that's the same mechanic just different skins. If you really think each tank is unique and special, then you haven't played them. The only tank I haven't played is Monk. They're all slight variations of the same thing.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#44LinktheMan46Posted 4/17/2013 2:15:47 PM
I am not personally in the camp of people that think all classes need a fourth spec, but I do think a few do. Shaman tanking is one of them, along with Warlock tanking. Two that are kind of iffy, but would be cool, and would make int plate less worthless in every group without a holy Pally, are a Shockadin spec and a magic-based DK spec.

The DK spec probably wouldn't be ranged, because it would "solve" the problem of int plate but make a whole new one, either having to give them frills, which wouldn't make sense, or making int 2 handers. Probably something like DK tanking now, where they would use int gear in all of their slots except the weapon, which would be a Str 2 hander.
---
"If your going to make fun of someone don't make yourself look like a tool by using the wrong version of your." - Hexrapper
#45ryanell666Posted 4/17/2013 2:19:00 PM
Topics like this only go to one conclusion.

Get rid of the trinity!

...sounds like we all want a GW2 setup.
#46EDarienPosted 4/17/2013 8:26:49 PM(edited)
LinktheMan46 posted...
I am not personally in the camp of people that think all classes need a fourth spec, but I do think a few do. Shaman tanking is one of them, along with Warlock tanking. Two that are kind of iffy, but would be cool, and would make int plate less worthless in every group without a holy Pally, are a Shockadin spec and a magic-based DK spec.

The DK spec probably wouldn't be ranged, because it would "solve" the problem of int plate but make a whole new one, either having to give them frills, which wouldn't make sense, or making int 2 handers. Probably something like DK tanking now, where they would use int gear in all of their slots except the weapon, which would be a Str 2 hander.

Agreed. That said, I hadn't really thought of a 4th spec for Paladin. I never played Holy, though, so I guess there's probably a big enough demand for Holy Shockadins to come back, isn't there?

The DK one is definitely something that should have been considered from the beginning. New plate class, with a spec that's very magic based like Unholy is, really could have done well with Int plate. But if we're just throwing 4th specs in, sure why not? Though, my only thing would be what would be the theme? Blood, Ice and Unholy energy are already the hallmarks of a Necromancer, so I'm not sure what they'd do with it. I think just change Unholy, though, personally. But I'm sure there's ideas.

Shaman and Warlock tanks, though, there's really no viable reason to not add them at this point.

ryanell666 posted...
Topics like this only go to one conclusion.

Get rid of the trinity!

...sounds like we all want a GW2 setup.

No. From all I've heard of what dungeons are like in GW2, I don't think so. I imagine it like being stuck with scenarios and losing 5-mans forever. Now, it seems like that's going to happen anyway, so perhaps they are trying to get rid of the trinity. But still, 5-mans were a great fun thing. I'm not against more scenarios, but this shift to not needing the trinity for missions like that ... meh. They're just not as fun for me. There's no teamwork involved. None. Talk about your "shut up and earn my loot for me", that's what getting rid of the trinity encourages.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done right, but current scenarios are mediocre at best and all I've read about GW2 dungeons is basically what turned me off from getting that game. GW 1 was fun stuff, but as interesting as some of the concepts of GW2 are, it just looks like a zerg-fest for both PvE and PvP from the videos I've watched of the gameplay.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#47MarikhenPosted 4/17/2013 11:32:57 PM
Earth shaman tanking doesn't sound that bad an idea, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Frost mage derivative for tanking as well, and a Blood DK derivative for healing.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#48keyvenxPosted 4/18/2013 12:10:03 AM
Would love tanking shamans. However, I dont think they should be allowed to MT raids or such. At best a decent OT in raids.

However, making them to be fast-pulling tanks in heroics with lots of AOE abilities would be awesome.
#49RanmaRanmaPosted 4/18/2013 12:58:18 AM
Been a shaman since open beta. Back in vanilla, I used to off tank dungeons occasionally as enhancement. Not saying it was optimal, but it was helpful at times. DM north was a great example. I'm all for shaman tank spec. As a measly 85 druid, I can say it's not fair Druids get 4 specs, anyway.
---
http://animerecap.blogspot.com/
#50schmarkenheimerPosted 4/18/2013 4:03:14 AM
keyvenx posted...
Would love tanking shamans. However, I dont think they should be allowed to MT raids or such. At best a decent OT in raids.

However, making them to be fast-pulling tanks in heroics with lots of AOE abilities would be awesome.

That could be fun.
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12