This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like I'm the only one...

#1xheartworkxPosted 4/20/2013 4:40:58 AM
...who gave up pet collecting with MoP.

I considered myself a fairly hardcore pet collector up until this xpac. I farmed, bought (gold and real money), and generally enjoyed getting as many pets as I could. My Celestial Dragon was my pride and joy as not many people had 150 vanity pets.

With MoP bringing not just pet battles, but a metric ton of new pets I got overwhelmed.

I don't know, I don't dislike the battles, but it killed the fun for me.

Any other pet collectors that gave up with MoP or don't enjoy it as much?
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Fourthirteen/advanced
#2EDarienPosted 4/20/2013 4:52:55 AM
I was never one of the hardcore like you, buying them and all that. But as I learned of ones I wanted, I'd definitely work my way into getting them if I could. It's frustrating, now, in the regard there's pets that I just have to level up my pet battle pets to get them. Only way to get them is to participate in the new pokemon mini-game.

Like you said, it's not that I'm against it, or even that it's bad, but I logged into WoW for WoW, not pokemon. So to get my green VW pet, I have to level something up to about 22+ because he only spawns in Shadowmoon and that's the level he fights at.

I don't know how hard leveling them up is, and it's better than knowing he's only in the TCG or other such real money only way to get him, but still frustrating. Would be neat to be able to catch some of the higher level ones another way. Perhaps in-game gold could by some sort of "bait" allowing one to capture a pet for a campanion, without needing to play pokemon to get them.

Still, if they just handed them out, we'd all probably be *****ing about how lazy they are and how casual everybody is, blah blah blah.

But I get what you're saying, for sure. Despite how many they put in, though, would be nice if they made Netherwhelp available for those of us who don't want to pay $200+ for the collector's edition. I mean, they made the anniversary Onyxia pet available to all now, why not that whelp?

Still, as a pet collector, I'd imagine while overwhelming, now, wouldn't this be such a great thing for you? A way to really pump up that collection without having to spend RL money? Just something to set your sights smaller at first, and slowly build up your pets to another huge collection.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#3Nade DuckPosted 4/20/2013 5:31:07 AM
The thing that bugs me most about the change is that almost everything rare either doesn't look interesting or got a not so rare similar looking counterpart made for it, and in some cases they even look exactly the same (or better). Not only that, but pets kind of used to be "my thing" in my old guild, but since they got tied up in achievements it lost any sort of fun to it thanks to competition from people who otherwise wouldn't have even cared about them. But yeah having to level them tediously just to fight max level cockroaches and water striders sucks too. How many different named versions of the same f***ing roach and rat are there again? i miss when it was just whiskers and the undercity roach.
---
PotD's New Official Most Handsome Black Lawman
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/NaidDuck/1252010740743.jpg
#4Zonte IIPosted 4/20/2013 7:09:48 AM
EDarien posted...
I was never one of the hardcore like you, buying them and all that. But as I learned of ones I wanted, I'd definitely work my way into getting them if I could. It's frustrating, now, in the regard there's pets that I just have to level up my pet battle pets to get them. Only way to get them is to participate in the new pokemon mini-game.

Like you said, it's not that I'm against it, or even that it's bad, but I logged into WoW for WoW, not pokemon. So to get my green VW pet, I have to level something up to about 22+ because he only spawns in Shadowmoon and that's the level he fights at.

I don't know how hard leveling them up is, and it's better than knowing he's only in the TCG or other such real money only way to get him, but still frustrating. Would be neat to be able to catch some of the higher level ones another way. Perhaps in-game gold could by some sort of "bait" allowing one to capture a pet for a campanion, without needing to play pokemon to get them.

Still, if they just handed them out, we'd all probably be *****ing about how lazy they are and how casual everybody is, blah blah blah.

But I get what you're saying, for sure. Despite how many they put in, though, would be nice if they made Netherwhelp available for those of us who don't want to pay $200+ for the collector's edition. I mean, they made the anniversary Onyxia pet available to all now, why not that whelp?

Still, as a pet collector, I'd imagine while overwhelming, now, wouldn't this be such a great thing for you? A way to really pump up that collection without having to spend RL money? Just something to set your sights smaller at first, and slowly build up your pets to another huge collection.

You could buy them off the AH.
#5ElaeusPosted 4/20/2013 7:18:47 AM
Actually the same happened to me.

I used to enjoy collecting as much pets as I could and I had at least 95% of the total collection available with me at all times.

Right now with them keep adding new ones I can't catch up; don't care enough anymore and don't really have the time.
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? Haven't got one.
#6angrywalrus13Posted 4/20/2013 7:21:05 AM
I did for a while, but I had a blast with Pet Battles a month or two back. It's still quite fun, but I'm not as obsessively compelled to collect them all since there are half a thousand at the moment.
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#7xheartworkx(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 3:49:35 PM
Y'all's thoughts pretty much mirror mine.

I suppose I could level up or purchase some level 25 pets from the AH, but I don't like the idea that those are my options. I don't mind the Pet Battle system, and sometimes it's even a fun break, but I don't want to be basically (and I use this word hesitantly) forced into playing that game to get my pet.

Another thought was that there's so many different versions of one basic pet model. I don't want 37 different roaches or rats. Previously you bought the "starter" pets from the cities like the snakes and dragonhawk pets, or the kittens and moths, and yeah I didn't really want them but they were so incredibly easy to attain. It could be argued that Pet Battling isn't that difficult either but psychologically it feels like there's more to it than just spending a few silver.

Finally, it does seem like there's just too much effort to be put forth into "catching up." When I had my collection up to date, and they would release a few new pets, it would be a fun little side thing to go around and collect the 10 or so new pets released in a patch. It's highly overwhelming to realize there are some 500 or whatever pets now. It doesn't inspire me to go around and collect them.

I think that while it could be a fun challenge to go around and just collect them a little at a time, it doesn't seem worth it compared to what else I could be doing. While I don't raid, and even doing LFR is painful at times (long queue to go in and not complete it), I just focus on the other fun things in the game. Pet collecting has just fallen off my radar and isn't included in anything I want to do with my spare time anymore. That somewhat saddens me.
---
#8AshrahnPosted 4/20/2013 4:02:49 PM
I still collect them, was big into it in release to 5.1, but now I feel burned out. It took me longer than it should have to go catch the Isle of Thunder wilds, and I haven't gotten lucky enough to get a ToT companion, in LFR or otherwise. Though, seeing them adding new ones to BC raids is kind of kindling my interest in it. (Even though I'm a little disappointed in the one Kael drops. Pink Dragonhawk? Bleh.) And if you want a voidwalker, whoever was talking about it, a boss in TK is going to drop one of the ones with the cloth and lanterns on it, I believe. Also a Fel Reaver companion will be dropped.
#9EDarienPosted 4/20/2013 4:46:03 PM
Zonte II posted...
EDarien posted...

You could buy them off the AH.

How does one just buy a Netherwhelp from the AH? Someone would have to be selling it and I can't imagine it would go for regular coin. Plus, I play on a dead server. Debating on changing servers *sigh* That's if it even can be sold. Aren't some of the "limited" pets like that uncageable? Or can they all be traded?
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#10xheartworkx(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2013 4:51:12 PM
That reminded me, I did clear through trying to get the raid pets (still need 2 from Naxx but I just haven't felt like going in there lately). I may get the ones in 5.3 too. I feel like the raid ones are special enough to get my interested, and there's not that many of them so it's like my old pet collecting style.
---