This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Soloing Cata content

#11woody71Posted 4/24/2013 7:55:46 AM
why don't you just try?
---
to the Grammar Police!-\/
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1062/50947440.gif
#12EDarien(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 8:06:27 AM
woody71 posted...
why don't you just try?

I'm going to, when I get around to it. And, if this is still open, I'll likely update it with some findings. Right now, play time is relegated to short bursts until next week when my semester is officially over. There's a lot riding on finals, so I've been pretty focused there aside from squeezing in a few dailies while queued for one Heroic and one scenario per day the last week or 2.

I'm sure it's going to be some trial and error. I think I might have some advantages in the Baine fight with Lock mobility/teleports. I'll be able to hope platforms pretty easily with those. My concern w/ him is more about VW damage vs soft enrage of blowing up all the platforms.

Tyrande I'm expecting to either be using the Observer or Sacrifice/Felhunter for the interrupts and just dodging all the crap she throws at me.

Sylvanas I'm guessing the hardest part will be dodging the flame-line (reaction time) and saving burst to escape the circle. I'll likely look up the zombie health before I go to see what threshold I need on that.

I was just thinking about it the other day was all, and when I tried to find any walkthroughs/videos I noticed there weren't any for Locks, so I came here.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#13vary123077Posted 4/24/2013 11:03:02 AM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
fan360 posted...
Now, people are doing 100k. (3 dps)

people are doing a bit more than 100k

He won't be raid buffed if he is soling cata heroics. His Ilvl is pretty low too.
#14fan360Posted 4/25/2013 5:15:52 PM
Let us know how it goes.

I am sure that Blood DK can survive easily, but dps will be around 40k (not 100k).

Warlock's VW should can tank it.
#15EDarien(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 5:11:34 AM
Thanks, I will. I'll probably give it a go in a week or so. It's a busy time right now with a final on Saturday (which determines A or B for the class), trip to meet Patrick Rothfuss that night (amazing author if you've never heard of him) about 100 miles north, then Disney trip for Monday/Tuesday and my last final (pretty much guaranteed a B no matter what I do) on Wednesday.

So I probably won't get to doing it until next Thursday/Friday, but I'll bump this once in-between just to keep it open so I can post when I get to it. Plus, if anyone who has tried it can post, then that might help.

I was able to crawl my ilvl up to 468 yesterday. Like I said, through my studying, I take 30-60m break daily to run the daily scenario/H for valor. I through a LFR in yesterday on top of those and it chained scenario/H/LFR literally as I finished each one, the queue for the next popped so it was pretty neat. Anyway, upgraded my shoulders on the spiritbinder guy and bought the JP trinket from Shieldwall faction (my old trinket was 437, new 458). I know it's only 3 ilvl from before, but sometimes that little extra DPS is all you needed.

I'm hoping VW can tank Baine ok. Jaina I'm not worried about since her melee is crap (does she even melee?) and her Pyroblast I remember was like 30k, but has a long cast so I can let 2 in before I have to start healing VW. Tyrande, I'm more worried about the trash than her. She's just a DPS race while avoiding blue lights and remembering to Interrupt that one ability. Sylvanas I have no idea how that's going to go. I know I'll need VW to tank her, while avoiding purple fire and hoping I can out-DPS the ghouls. On the other hand, if I can just teleport behind them without dying, then she'll be easy if I can avoid the purple fire. Probably a long fight for DPS reasons, but easy.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#16RuneArcanisPosted 4/26/2013 6:17:52 AM
It might be easier using Demonology, there is a pretty cool vid on YouTube showing a Warlock tanking the LFRs, using Glyph of Demon Hunting turns you into a mini tank. I've been using it while leveling and it has gone pretty well. That and Glyph of Imp Swarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlPDQzeRoU
#17EDarien(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:40:24 AM
RuneArcanis posted...
It might be easier using Demonology, there is a pretty cool vid on YouTube showing a Warlock tanking the LFRs, using Glyph of Demon Hunting turns you into a mini tank. I've been using it while leveling and it has gone pretty well. That and Glyph of Imp Swarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlPDQzeRoU

I thought about that option, and might still be the solution, but I don't know yet. The only thing is Warlock tank might be viable with a healer, but I'm not sure how the self-heals would be compared to DK/Paladin. Drain Life only gets you so far. Healthstone is a 1 time, maybe 2 on longer fights, CD, Mortal Coil is a small heal, every 45s, plus the shield can be every minute if taking Sacrificial Pact. Likely Soul Leech shield better than the 2 minute heal in same tier. So there's definitely some, so it depends just how much is needed. It's definitely nowhere near the DS shield/heal combo or WoG/Flash Heal ability, though.

Destruction gets Ember Tap added to those other self-heal CDs and it really depends how much damage VW takes if Health Funnel will be viable or not to keeping him alive and using the self-heals to keep myself alive after too much HF damage. I'm not sure which way is going to be better, but I'll be finding out for sure.

Like I said, I'll try it out, probably a few different ways if I run into trouble. But advice tips all welcome, thanks.

I have watched that video, btw. Thought it was awesome. I'm definitely big in the "Warlocks should be able to tank" camp. Same for Shaman. I'm subbed to sparkuggz on my YouTube account, actually. Great Warlock.
---
#18CacofiendPosted 4/26/2013 11:31:39 AM
I haven't really dusted off my lock for since I got him to 90 earlier this year. I would say though it may be worth looking at that minor glyph that converts funnel into an instant pet heal (although with cd) this way you'll still be able to throw out a little more dps.

Let me know how you get on anyway!
#19EDarien(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 12:09:54 PM
Small bump so it doesn't close. Semester just ended today, so we'll see what I can get up to in the next few days. I spent this afternoon pushing through LFR as I had yet to run any Heart of Fear. Finished those 2 with Terrace likely to be done tonight or tomorrow morning. Depends how much I drink at dinner ($.25 drafts at Rib City on Wednesdays) whether I finish that tonight or not.

I've tried out Demonology as my offspec and used the DA glyph to see how it looks. As I was thinking, it has some great mitigation, so you'd be a really good tank with a healer, but it just doesn't have the self-heals that DK/Paladin have which make them soloing machines. It might still be viable if I can build up enough DF on trash and use Sacrificial Pact on CD, but I'd need to keep a pet for that so I'm not killing myself. That and since the DPS is crap in DA mode, Felguard's just a good idea to help speed things up anyway.

Regardless we'll see as it'll likely depend on VW/VL being uber tank on mitigation combined w/ me healing him or managing some drain life/HS/Mortal Coil in DA tank-mode with the shields.
---
#20RanmaRanmaPosted 5/1/2013 3:56:30 PM
In 465, you're not doing 100k on a single target, and you probably won't do 50k.
---
http://animerecap.blogspot.com/