This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Yay, finally finished all the Pet Battle quests!

#1Ness0123456789Posted 4/29/2013 11:31:09 AM
Yes yes, lawl Pet Battles and all that, and yeah, I know I'm WAY behind, but I finally finished leveling a pet of every type the other day, and did a marathon run of all the Pet Battle quests from Northrend up through the Beasts of Fable. Still feels good to finally get the quests done, and have my adorable little Red Panda and the Spirit Pets.

Have to admit, some of the fights at the end (especially Aki and the Spirit Tamers) were nail biting affairs, especially if you don't use any of the really cheap tricks to insta-win the fights with minimal effort. That damned Wind Spirit in particular made me a sad, sad man. As a whole, though the "Campaign" felt really well done, and I'm glad I put the time and effort to finish it. Glad to know Pet Battles weren't just some crappy after thought by Blizzard, and is in fact a very fun mini-game.

Anyone else (recently or otherwise) finished the quest line and enjoyed it a good deal?

Oh, and of course, /blogfaqs.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#2GForceDragonPosted 4/29/2013 11:37:31 AM
Ness0123456789 posted...
especially if you don't use any of the really cheap tricks to insta-win the fights with minimal effort.

What sort of cheap tricks?
---
"right now i have my ghoul glyphed to be the gimp, and when im low on health in summon the gimp and death pact his ass for some health. :/" -steveoSEK
#3JronPPosted 4/29/2013 12:10:49 PM
Grats man I need to finish it one of these days
#4Dinodude007Posted 4/29/2013 2:48:00 PM
I beat Aki the Chosen a few days ago. Only beat one pandaren spirit so far and haven't touched the beasts of fable. Trying to get a more diverse team and get some more good LV25 pets
---
Pokemon White FC: Chris -- 2623 2820 3100
#5Major GamerPosted 4/29/2013 3:20:58 PM
The only hard trainer is the earth spirit. Screw him having two stuns.
---
Can excessive stupidity be a valid reason for moderation?
http://backloggery.com/majorgamer
#6Ness0123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 10:10:51 AM
Ness0123456789 posted...
especially if you don't use any of the really cheap tricks to insta-win the fights with minimal effort.

Some of the Pets can be easily exploited to make them unkillable. The snails in particular have a lovely move set that, if rotated properly with their skills, can essentially make them unkillable while also slowly whittling away at your opponents health. And I'll admit, on that stupid Air Spirit I did exploit this, simply because the only Water Pet I had that could kill his elemental just happened to be weak against every damned skill he had... 'twas a sad day.

There's also a trick with the Beasts of Fable, if you use a Magic Pet's Heath Swap to equalize their health, it trivializes the encounter completely.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#7SA_X_Mk_IIPosted 4/30/2013 10:34:17 AM
Only "trick" I used was the: 1) Roach uses Apocalypse, 2) Swap pets, 3) Kill 2 pets before I'm left with only the Roach.

Only had to do it for a few matches because I refused to grind until getting all blue pets until MoP.

<3 Farmer Nishi. My little Strider love coming out to see her crop every day. ^_^
---
.: Tamoketh :: DRM is the fix no one wants, for a problem you can't avoid :.
.: You gotta be can we do you think if we can make a should just be alone? :.
#8TloyaPosted 4/30/2013 10:57:16 AM
I, too, experienced enormous amounts of rage and frustration initially battling the wind spirit, because if you don't have a nice cache of dragonkin pets to work with (and this was right after 5.1, before people had time to get the both rare-quality and reasonably accessible BWL dragonkin pets) you basically stand no chance. That goddamn moth and the sleep proc from skill dust caused me many a rage-forfeit.

Most of the endgame trainers have some kind of kryptonite pet that exploits the dumb AI to trivialize fights. A few examples:

Aki the Chosen: She opens with a cricket whose only damaging attack is a multi-hitter that is completed negated by damage-reduction skills like sandstorm or shell shield. A lava crab can actually almost solo Aki by just spamming magma wave to kill her back line pets while keeping shell shield up to be invunerable. Alteratively, Anubisath Idol with Crush and Sandstorm will devastate both the cricket and the cloud serpent, leaving the otter as the only challenge.

Farmer Nishi: As everyone knows, the current elemental passive breaks solarbeam, so all her sunflower can do is sit there like an idiot and toss out a sunlight every five or six turns, making her far and away the easiest of the Pandaria tamers.

Thundering Pandaren Spirit: A rabbit with speed over 300 using dodge and burrow can trivialize this guy's elemental and mole (by avoiding all of the elemental's ruptures, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of the mole's attacks), and even post-nerf fluxfire feline will obliterate the ooze.

Burning Pandaren Spirit: Anubisath Idol can solo this one with a little luck (used to be a joke pre-reflection nerf). Not missing too much or taking too many hits on his cloud serpent is all that matters. Once you've used crush to pummel the serpent, you can use deflection to block all of the elemental's conflags (just count 4 turns between each one), and sandstorm + humanoid racial will completely negate immolate damage. Then for the firefly sandstorm will make you immune to confusing sting and swarm. Glowing toxin will still do a little damage, but if you time your deflects (he always uses it right after confusing sting) you'll never get hit by that either.

Flowing Pandaren Spirit: Ooze with Absorb + Corrosion + Acidic Goo is devastating here. The two DoTs also increase the damage the opponent takes and synergize with each other, causing the enemy to take a bunch of damage each turn AND increasing the amount that absorb heals you. It's generally a good idea to have a sacrifice to eat the elemental's geyser/whirlpool combo, though.
---
Posts look awkward without a signature underneath