This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Class Advice for starting fresh

#1mattmatt23Posted 5/2/2013 12:01:42 AM
In MMO's that I've played, I'm generally the "caster" classes. With WoW, I've played Shadow Priest, Ele/RSham, RDruid/Boom, a little bit of mage, and a little warlock. I've decided that I want to start fresh and play something out of my comfort zone so to speak. I think I have it narrowed down to hunter, enhancement shaman, ret pally, or WW monk. I have quite a bit of honor between my toons, so I'm going to get the BoA set for which ever class I decide, I'm just having trouble deciding. I'm mainly making the class to level for 3's arena. I'm on Tich horde, and if anyone wants to help me decide and might be interested in starting fresh also, I could always use a leveling partner.
#2PokeZealotPosted 5/2/2013 12:31:49 AM
Out of the four you've mentioned, for primarily 3s, I would pick either Hunter or WW Monk.

Enhancement Shamans and ret paladins are all right but generally get the short end of the stick in PvP, they tend to rarely get buffs and have never been more than average besides a few short blips where they were really good. Which is sad, because they are actually pretty fun in casual play.

Hunters will still be great even with the nerfs in 5.3 and are the most competitive of the choice for sure, and I really enjoy mine when I play it. BM is kind of a boring, faceroll spec though in my opinion, and it's the most viable right now, so just be aware for really serious play BM will be almost required.

WW Monks are average, and have a high learning curve, but can wreck people if you're good enough, glyphed touch of death has netted me a lot of kills that my team would normally not have gotten, which is by itself amazing. A big problem for them is most of their utility is also brought by their healing spec, so they aren't a very unique spec inside their own class. They are definitely viable but right now are overshadowed by a lot of other melee.
---
"The Warlock does not play the game to enjoy it, he plays it to ensure others do not." ~The Art of Warlock
#3mattmatt23(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 12:56:08 AM
Yeah, as far as being limited to 1 spec (BM hunter) I'm not liking that. I like warlock, but like right now, affliction sucks and is getting a nerf come 5.3. Destruction far outweighs the other 2 specs and as time goes on, it's becoming more apparent. That turned me off to lock because destro feels just like a mage. What is BM's general play style and what exactly makes it boring? I know basically zero about hunter so want to find out all that I can.

I don't know much about WW monk, but I know I don't want to heal as monk and if the WW utility of WW isn't great, might have me rethinking it.

The reason why I was thinking pally a little bit was because I wouldn't mind healing arenas also like if I get bored of dps, just as a change of scenery where I'm not bored of the class. I've played disc/spriest, dual spec sham, and dual druid, but the DPS classes seem to piss me off and make me get tired of the class. Maybe that's a whole different topic though. :P
#4PokeZealotPosted 5/2/2013 2:02:11 AM
I find BM boring because it's play in a nutshell is this:

1. Pick kill target
2. Press all-in-one burst macro
3. If he's dead you win, if he's not readiness and repeat
4. If he's still not dead, have fun being relatively "meh" for a little while.

It's not a class completely devoid of skill but it's certainly not a very complex class to play. I realize a lot of PvP works like this right now too, it's certainly not just a hunter thing, but the burst itself feels kind of boring, you just basically hit two buttons for damage the whole time, and one is on a 10s cooldown.

As far as WWs, go their other problem is that they also lack a strong burst, which is what PvP is centered on right now, so they have a lot of issues there in addition to the utility ones I mentioned earlier. I'd say they're playable, but don't expect to push really high ratings with them.

If you're dead set on paladin or shaman, I would recommend paladin just due to them having a lot better toolkit, but, really neither one is that amazing when compared to other classes.

If you're open to suggestions to other melee classes, rogues, death knights, and ferals are quite strong right now, and historically, the first two have always been strong. I would also say from personal experience that they're the most fun of all the melee classes, but, then again I know a lot of people would disagree with rogues and ferals being fun.
---
"The Warlock does not play the game to enjoy it, he plays it to ensure others do not." ~The Art of Warlock
#5mattmatt23(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:42:14 PM
Yeah, when I first started I played rogue for about 10 levels (don't remember now why I quit), but never liked feral. Played it also but because I didn't like it. How is rogue play style?

Played DK also, and no go there.
#6mt830plusPosted 5/2/2013 9:46:47 PM
hey bro I'm going to give you peer intervention and just throw this out there: don't do it... you have too much to live for. just think about your friends/family and everyone that cares about you.
#7angrywalrus13Posted 5/2/2013 9:48:11 PM
but ur on gamefaqs posting

y arent u with u rfamily
---
Thomx
like tommicks
#8mattmatt23(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 9:31:09 PM
Yeah, at least I'm trying to get help with a legit question instead of wasting time trolling people.
#9mt830plusPosted 5/3/2013 11:23:24 PM
well since you insist on shrugging off solid advice, roll a spacegoat pally.
#10ChocoboMog123Posted 5/3/2013 11:31:54 PM
mattmatt23 posted...
I like warlock, but like right now, affliction sucks and is getting a nerf come 5.3. Destruction far outweighs the other 2 specs and as time goes on, it's becoming more apparent. That turned me off to lock because destro feels just like a mage.

allmywat.jpg
---
"You're sorely underestimating the power of nostalgia goggles." - adjl
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110218.gif