This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, I'm unsure what to do.

#1vahndragonwingPosted 5/2/2013 7:29:42 AM
I recently got a good friend of mine back into the game, who played back in vanilla since the beta. He caught back on fairly quick and is progressing pretty well through LFR. However, his dad (who also played at the same time as he did) started playing again as well. I dunno what happened in the past couple years, since the dad used to play a ton more and everything, but he's not doing.. well. He's playing a hunter, marksman, he's at 462 ilvl now and pulls like, a maximum of 25k.

I don't want to offend the dude but it seems like every time I try to suggest something he gets indignant like "I know how to play my class" but then won't use traps when I ask for them, will stand in s*** until I call it out, and above all else, doesn't pull even the minimum threshold of required dps for his ilvl.

I'm not an elitist or anything, I just want him to do somewhat comparable DPS so his son and I aren't forced to leave him out of stuff we do. Any tips?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-scryers/Zebajin/advanced
---
IMO
#2Lightning BoltPosted 5/2/2013 7:33:10 AM
vahndragonwing posted...

F***ing Hunters. Just HOW can someone be this bad?
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#3SirGizmoPosted 5/2/2013 7:41:53 AM
vahndragonwing posted...

Damn, he's all messed up. Love that weapon chain.
---
""You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott." -SirGizmo
#4vahndragonwing(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 7:50:12 AM
SirGizmo posted...
vahndragonwing posted...

Damn, he's all messed up. Love that weapon chain.

Yeah, I asked him how much he gets disarmed yesterday. He told me he "must have just found it in his bank or something" despite me explaining that it's a BS crafted item and unless I'm sorely mistaken, doesn't 'just drop' anywhere.

I've pointed him to Icy-veins, askmrrobot, elitistjerks, etc, but it seems he just doesn't want to put in the work to be decent. The biggest issue is that he and his son like playing together a lot, so I wind up having to wait on him just to handhold/babysit him through whatever content we're in. He doesn't remember the fights that have stuff you have to move from, he constantly forgets about his pet, etc.

I'm to the point where I almost want to kindly tell him to f*** off until he's willing to put in the 10 minutes of work it takes to crawl out from the carlsbad caverns he's so deep in.
---
IMO
#5TheloganPrimePosted 5/2/2013 7:50:19 AM
Can someone point out the glaring gear issues to justify that DPS? I mean, it's certainly not ideal, but I don't see anything inherently WRONG with it.

I just resubbed/got MoP about a week ago. My ilvl is lower than that dude's, but I easily pull between 40-50k in 5 man as SV. I don't know about other specs...but it doesn't seem like it's a gear issue to me, it's a player issue.

In which case I guess all you can do is shrug if he won't listen to help.
---
---
hondosbar.com - nerd talk and easy women
#6Lightning BoltPosted 5/2/2013 7:54:18 AM
TheloganPrime posted...
I don't see anything inherently WRONG with it.

For one thing: way over hit cap, still using pure hit gems.
Actually, just using pure hit gems is bad enough.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#7SirGizmoPosted 5/2/2013 7:54:30 AM
I'd say the main problem is that he's Marksman, a spec that requires pretty high item level to pull comparable numbers. For someone with such a low item level he should be sticking to BM, maybe Survival for AoE heavy fights.

His spec hurts him just as much as his shoddy choice of gear, enchants, reforging, gems and what not do.
---
""You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott." -SirGizmo
#8vahndragonwing(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 7:54:42 AM
TheloganPrime posted...
Can someone point out the glaring gear issues to justify that DPS? I mean, it's certainly not ideal, but I don't see anything inherently WRONG with it.

I just resubbed/got MoP about a week ago. My ilvl is lower than that dude's, but I easily pull between 40-50k in 5 man as SV. I don't know about other specs...but it doesn't seem like it's a gear issue to me, it's a player issue.

In which case I guess all you can do is shrug if he won't listen to help.
---

The reforging is all wrong, he's using a melee pvp weapon enchant on a ranged pve weapon (463 at that) he used a top-end shoulder enchant on 450 blues.. It's just all messed up.
---
IMO
#9Right_Chus_1Posted 5/2/2013 8:05:26 AM
Tell him to install recount. Maybe he will eventually get the hint on his own that something is horribly wrong with himself.
#10vahndragonwing(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 8:12:22 AM
Right_Chus_1 posted...
Tell him to install recount. Maybe he will eventually get the hint on his own that something is horribly wrong with himself.

I've been keeping him updated. He tried to tell me that asking for/expecting 40-45k at his ilvl was outrageous.
---
IMO