This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any healing specs that use the same gear/gem/reforge as a dps spec?

#1MakeHatePosted 5/4/2013 11:59:32 AM
I want to try out healing, but be able to dps without completely rehauling my gear.
---
"but you still have to use a keyboard which was made for word processing back in the early 90s with MSdos" -The_Big_Deek
#2Super_ArcherPosted 5/4/2013 12:11:50 PM
I think Shadow Priests, Moonkin Druids, Elemental Shaman would be ok with healing gear. Their spirit gets converted to hit. I don't think hit gets converted to spirit though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/kWhI8mP.jpg
#3DawnshadowPosted 5/4/2013 12:51:37 PM
Generally you can DPS in your healing gear so long as you're not something like a paladin where healing and DPS use a different primary stat. Before 90, you will not need separate sets-- just take the best caster gear you have and go for it. The only exception would be trinkets that proc off healing spells, which you'll only want to use as DPS if you have no other choice (which, admittedly, isn't an uncommon scenario while leveling.)

At 90, if you're just doing dailies, LFR, scenarios, and/or 5-mans as DPS you'll still be fine using the same gear set for both-- while you will lose a tiny bit of DPS potential by wearing gear that you've gemmed and reforged for healing, you should still do an adequate job, and it won't be enough to really make or break a group at that level of play. For formal raiding or rated PvP you're expected to be more optimized, and if you want to play both specs at that level you will want to build two sets (although sharing exceptionally strong pieces may be a good idea anyway.) My suggestion would be to start out using the same gear and slowly build your off spec set; just earmark sidegrades, extra tier tokens from LFR, and pieces that are slightly worse than your healing gear but still viable for your DPS spec as you go along.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#4ElaeusPosted 5/4/2013 12:57:21 PM
I ran a holy/discipline priest for a while and i used to respec shadow in rare occasions. Holy gear usually shares the optimal stats with shadow (haste in Cata, mastery now) so i always maintained only one set of gear for the three specs.

Bear in mind though, you will be way over the hit cap so it's not optimal at all. For 5 mans heroics or LFR it should be alright though, but I personally don't recommend it.
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? Haven't got one.
#5chinezekid1Posted 5/4/2013 1:31:35 PM
none, you will always have to reforge.
---
-toxic
#6halomonkey1_3_5Posted 5/4/2013 1:44:18 PM
Elaeus posted...
Bear in mind though, you will be way over the hit cap so it's not optimal at all. For 5 mans heroics or LFR it should be alright though, but I personally don't recommend it.

this is basically all there is to say. Either you gimp your healing set by removing a lot of spirit(and still probably wind up over cap) or you gimp your DPS set by being way over hit.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#7LanceFlugermanPosted 5/4/2013 3:04:47 PM
This may have been said but I stopped reading after actually guy stopped by.

Disc priest.
---
Damn, GameFAQs is dying.