This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The one reason that I hate this game so much...

#1SteelPunk808Posted 5/7/2013 7:15:57 AM
...is that I love it so damn much.

Anyone else feel that way?

I'll put it to you this way. I'm 24 years old, I am married and have a 14 month old daughter. I'm not entirely sure if my maturity level plays much a role in this problem but I basically spend too much time playing (as in during my free time when my wife is at work and it's just me and the kid). I should be taking her outside to play more often. Instead, during the 6 or so hours my wife is at work every day, I spend at least 4 hours on this game while my daughter plays with her toys on the side.

Now before I'm bashed for child neglection, I will remind you all that I/we do feed her the ordinary breakfast, lunch, dinner meals each day with a healthy snack in between each course. I also don't just let her sit in her dirty diaper (when I smell it, I change it right away). She also takes a 2 hour nap within that 6 hour window I have to watch her.

I live in Hawaii, so yeah I have no excuse to not play outside with her or take her to the beach but at the same time, I'm like well dammit I wanna play WoW because it's f*****g awesome. Am I a hardcore nerd? I don't think I am. I don't look like one nor do I act like one. I like really like sports and I certainly enjoy the company of my family and peers so my social life isn't a question of concern. I love my family very much and I'd do anything to make them happy. So when my wife (by the way she actually used to play WoW) sits me down and tells me to spend less time gaming and more time with the family, I say I will but my routine doesn't change.

I'm so sorry for venting this on Gamefaqs. I know this doesn't really relate to WoW as it does to typical gaming addiction in general but it is the only MMO I play so if anyone feels the way I do or has some advice for me, I'm gladly all ears.

Thanks for your time.
---
Team Axis for Pokemon X and Y. Calling it now :p
01/08/2013. ---FC 3998 5714 1422
#2SteelPunk808(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 7:21:36 AM
Oooh and perhaps I should also add (in case it's important or if anyone asks) I do have a job also. I work overnight shifts so I sleep during the day up until my wife leaves for her noon-evening job.
---
#32010WolverinePosted 5/7/2013 8:22:08 AM
If you keep playing, eventually you will get bored with it. It may not seem like it now, but I'll compare it to hearing new music that you really like. The first time you hear that riff you're like, "man, I'm never going to get sick of that." Then the 50th time you hear it, you're like, "this is still awesome but it doesn't give me the same feeling it once did." Then after 100 times, you can't stand it anymore and you listen to something else.

Granted, WoW keeps adding new riffs to the song. But eventually you will see that's is all the same, just another guitar shredding over and over again with different notes that are supposed to produce the same effect. But they don't, because even though it's "new," you swear you've heard it somewhere else before.
#4SlyClone2kPosted 5/7/2013 8:35:35 AM
You got free time and a child. You find it acceptable that your attention is sufficient as long as she gets fed and changed. Your child will grow up without you noticing or appreciating her. She'll grow up to recognise your back and not your face. She'll grow up to feel neglected and if you're 24 there's a lot of years and regret coming your way.

Its not even a good game. It's a time sink, of minimal reward for repetitive and fairly dull game play. It will swallow all of your childs childhood, when you could have spent it creating, playing and developing with a new life.

If you cant give up wow for your child completely do it a little bit at a time. But at the very least make an effort.

Meh. This is probably a troll attempt disguised as a human interest story.
---
"Have to start remembering there are 4 versions of reality.. past, present, Ea and pr.." - xoxide124
#5EDarienPosted 5/7/2013 8:42:58 AM
Careful with a 14 mo old at the beach, is all, if you do decide to get off the computer and take her. Otherwise, no worries, man. I wouldn't worry about it, anyway. If you feel you're getting a little doughy because of it, then maybe yeah take an hour out to walk her somewhere and/or play outside, but otherwise I don't see the big issue here. Just remember sun screen.

Also, good for your daughter growing up in Hawaii. My girlfriend lived there until she was about five or six. She still has memories of it and loved it as a kid.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#6ryanell666Posted 5/7/2013 8:45:15 AM
SlyClone2k posted...
You got free time and a child. You find it acceptable that your attention is sufficient as long as she gets fed and changed. Your child will grow up without you noticing or appreciating her. She'll grow up to recognise your back and not your face. She'll grow up to feel neglected and if you're 24 there's a lot of years and regret coming your way.

Its not even a good game. It's a time sink, of minimal reward for repetitive and fairly dull game play. It will swallow all of your childs childhood, when you could have spent it creating, playing and developing with a new life.

If you cant give up wow for your child completely do it a little bit at a time. But at the very least make an effort.

Meh. This is probably a troll attempt disguised as a human interest story.

moderation is the key life.

You can play an MMORPG and be a family man too. Granted you wont be a "server-first" type player. But you can still be a father and spend an adequate amount of time raising a child. You can't always live in fear that the moment you turn away doing something else that the child is growing up mal-adjusted because you aren't sticking your face 5 inches from theirs, making silly faces and playing all the time.

children have early bedtimes; during those primetime hours you can't get all the dailies (from current content) completed, do your LFR/LFD grinds......or if you are lucky and belong to an organized and dedicated guild, you can roll with them and tackle that Heroic content like a pro.
#7YhiPosted 5/7/2013 8:54:52 AM
24 years old daughter only 14 months ez enuff to get out bro statistically speaking u will 100% be divorced in 10 years and ur daughter will hate u anyway

just play wow.
#8dtrez105Posted 5/7/2013 8:58:43 AM
Yhi posted...
24 years old daughter only 14 months ez enuff to get out bro statistically speaking u will 100% be divorced in 10 years and ur daughter will hate u anyway

just play wow.

I smell a teenager disguised as a grown up.
#9SteelPunk808(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 11:26:41 AM
I appreciate most of these responses, save that one near the end.

I don't believe in statistics except for what I see in sports really.

So for you to say that I'll be divorced in 10 years makes me even moreso wanting to prove the "statistics" wrong.

I love my wife. I love my daughter. I love video games too

I think I'm just trying to balance out my fun with my responsibilities and I'm not really doing it right. But I suppose it will take time.
---
#10SteelPunk808(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 11:30:06 AM
My dad became somewhat of a frequent gamer at some point during my childhood to adolescent years.

His favorite games were Diablo II and still to this day, CoD and Battlefield he plays often

But it never ruined our relationship. Nor did it interfere with his job and family time.

I guess what I really want is to be a lot more like him.
---