This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hey Blizz!, "How's that catering to the casuals business plan working for you?"

#1ryanell666Posted 5/9/2013 2:34:00 AM
Sure, flame me for accusing the "catering to the casuals" business plan for why the sub numbers are rapidly falling, but when the reports are also saying "Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added. It's just amazes me that people think they are validated in their opinions against mine.

One point I always argue against is that "Age" of the game is a strong factor here.

Yes and no....

See, I don't expect the game to stay at it's peak as it was in WLK with 12 million subs....and I don't expect rapid growth that Vanilla and TBC had....

It's only sensible to see subs drop here and there, and if the game is still as great as everyone says....one would assume those sub-numbers would gracefully float downward as time goes by....or slowly go up, since in an alternate timeline Blizzard didn't give into lesser players who had to whine and cry to get the rules of game changed in their favour so they can win.

But no....since WLK era ended, it was a SHARP, DROP, DOWN!....for a game that's giving everything to everyone, why is it rapidly losing subs?

WLK had 12 million
CAT ended with 9 million.
MoP spiked with 10 million, but now we're 7 months in, and it loses 1.7 million players! 8.3 million! At least CAT held out in the first year....wow.

Why? Well again, "Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added."...so what does that really MEAN?!

one feature being the holy LFR. You wanted it, you got it....ta~da!

So Blizzard creates a system where you can enter raiding content, without attunement, bare minimum gear requirement, no minimum personal requirement (buffs, proper enchants,...etc). Why? Because you pay a sub? Nevermind there was plenty of casual content to acheive on your own merits. YOU wanted to see where the big boys play; queue in, get carried, port out, wash, rinse, repeat, BAM, you are in raid quality gear, BAM again, grind enough VP to upgrade that gear to near Heroic levels.

Personal story, I resubbed two weeks ago. Before I left, I got my DK to level 90 and finished all the main questlines in Pandaria; as per usual, it was that time to get heavy into doing dailies for rep and gold and starting to get "raid ready"; but i had to un-sub for a job that paid too well, I came back out of morbid curiosity.

Anyways, the semi-dedicated guild I was a part of before dissolved, as did the rest of my server. So I went through the LFR system for my personal progress. Let it be said, if I had any long term plans for this game I would transfer servers right now and try to get in with a Heroic 25 guild; but I dont see myself here when the sub expires.

Moving on, I have played this game diligently for two weeks and I went from quest-greens to ilvl 483 between faction and LFR gear for my Frost spec, I'm about 460 for my Blood tanking spec, as well I started a good collection of PvP gear since it was easier to boost my ilvl by chain-queuing BGs between doing the dailies. It's all about multi-tasking and moderation here kiddies!

Two weeks and I got enough gear to make a noble effort to step up my game if I wanted to, again if my long term ambitions were to stay in the game. Then I think to myself, I played this game pretty casual to get this far in my personal progression. I killed Lei Shen in LFR,....and even if I wanted to be in the big leagues why should I? For Ra-den, and his unimpressive loot table?

I went through those instant "Scenarios", and saw the Thunder King rise up and threaten the land, now I killed him with little effort...I know how the story ends....again, if I choose to stay longer into the game, I'd grind out more factions, more LFR, maybe even find the last guild on my server that can actually form a 10 man raid and get some of that 'normal gear'

so where's the struggle?
#2ryanell666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 2:34:32 AM
Let's take my story further back...

WoW is 6 months old, before getting into it I studied up on the classes, and came to the conclusion of being a dwarf priest as my first "endgame" character. I like the idea of being in shadowform, and because I snowboard a lot I liked the look of the Dwarf starting areas..... Just before my toon turned 60 this warrior mixed with T1/T2 comes up to me and asks what my "raiding plans are" when I become 60. He explained to me that I chose well with Dwarf priests because they had the Fear Ward racial (exclusive to Dwarf Priests back then) and a much need trait for doing Onyxia. So basically he sold me on being a healer for his guild.

making this as short as possible, I went as far out of my way to be a team player, ran BRD a thousand times to get people attuned to Onyxia and Molten Core, I grinded out Spiders in Western Plaguelands for 3 weeks solid in the off-chance that the Nature resistance pot recipe dropped so the raid can survive Huhu in AQ40. Heck, I even got my own damn UBRS key, since I was sick and tired of waiting for someone with one to log on. I never took any gold from anyone for my Arcanite Xmutes, I help a handful of players even from super-hardcore guilds get their TF's and Hand of Rag's. And what did I get in return? I saw content! I am not that hardcore of a player (that i know i make myself out to be on this board), but I saw a lot more content because I contributed more to the community and in return saw most of what the game had to offer...and this went on up until EoE during WLK.

Now...?

"Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added."

Take all the planning and preparation I described above, and boil it down to "be at {this} ilvl, and stay out of the fire". Remember Molten Core? Blackwing Lair? AQ40? How long those raids were in terms of design? The intensive planning and prep work? Nope, let's take a raid, divide it up to 3 or 4 matchmaking sessions, again "be at {this} ilvl, and stay out of the fire", if you don't get any gear from a boss you'll get VP and buy good-enough gear through factions, no need to be loyal to anyone, no need to rely on the community for any greater gains....

So yes, age can be a factor, only because Blizzard designed the content so casuals can get to experience the content based on their expectations and at the expense of sacrificing the community aspect of this game. And any MMORPG player worth his salt knows that community is a staple of the genre, and blizzard took that equation out for what? profits?

You are basically paying $15 a month, for a gallon of milk that expires tomorrow!

"They release Lei Shen on LFR!" *30 minutes later.* I killed Lei Shen! I know the whole story! Leave the Heroic25 for the elitests, I'm done."

"Blizzard expects to have less subscribers at the end of the year than they do today."says MMO-Champs

I can go on forever (cuz you know i can), but the FACT is there, plain as day!

the catering to the casual business plan does not work! Grass-root MMORPG design can save the game and the genre.

- merge the servers
- get rid of the server/faction/character transfer feature.
- make LFD/LFR server only
- design larger raids
- use TBC-style offerings in the badge system (off-hands, rings, trinkets...no full raid gear).
- make content blend in with established content. like quests that span from Panadria, to Outland, into Deepholm, back to Panadria, and finishing with a plot twisting finale of killing King Wrynn for good.
- get rid of scenarios and start using phasing in more interesting ways to tell the big stories in Azeroth.
- stop making poorly designed, or re-hashed BGs. I'd rather see better ways to bring back World PvP.

the solutions are there. WoW isn't a total write off, Blizzard just need to start showing some backbone.
#3Lightning BoltPosted 5/9/2013 2:40:08 AM
ryanell666 posted...
But no....since WLK era ended, it was a SHARP, DROP, DOWN!....for a game that's giving everything to everyone, why is it rapidly losing subs?

Before someone demands source for this
http://i.imgur.com/idZxWXM.png
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#4TheGreatCheezePosted 5/9/2013 2:41:02 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5ryanell666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 2:46:43 AM
TheGreatCheeze posted...
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is definitely the best kind of cake.

get some popcorn too...I expect a ****storm in the morning......lol
#6TheGreatCheezePosted 5/9/2013 2:52:08 AM
ryanell666 posted...
TheGreatCheeze posted...
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is definitely the best kind of cake.

get some popcorn too...I expect a ****storm in the morning......lol

TheGreatCheeze (33) | Board List | Topic List | Post New Message | Track Topic
---
Like I've said before, Allies are like sand people; they scare easily but they will be back in greater numbers.
-Reddit
#7Lightning BoltPosted 5/9/2013 2:52:15 AM
Also, as a general response, you're pulling all of this out of your ass. Most of the sub loss was in China and you didn't even touch on that.

Some speculation (admittedly also asspull) is that Age of Wulin is the culprit. It's a new MMO that's absolutely dominating in China. F2P admittedly, but the people playing it aren't playing WoW.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#8scarecrowsPosted 5/9/2013 2:52:30 AM
tldr
---
"Your an imbecile" - Gallusz
#9ryanell666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 3:02:00 AM(edited)
Lightning Bolt posted...
Also, as a general response, you're pulling all of this out of your ass. Most of the sub loss was in China and you didn't even touch on that.

Some speculation (admittedly also asspull) is that Age of Wulin is the culprit. It's a new MMO that's absolutely dominating in China. F2P admittedly, but the people playing it aren't playing WoW.

So a Chinese gamer is less important than a Western one?....ass-pulling vs. racism? don't see that as a tough call....gamer is a gamer............then again, gold farmers aren't real gamers anyways, so de-humanize them all you want.

There are as many F2P here as over there....maybe better ones, maybe just like GW2 that I've always said has the same quality of gameplay as WoW, but you don't need a sub....

Doesn't mean GW2 is better, it's just what's the point of paying for the same experience I get for free?

Speaking for myself, if WoW did improve the game as per my little list....I'd stay subbed in.....
#10Lightning BoltPosted 5/9/2013 3:05:42 AM
ryanell666 posted...
So a Chinese gamer is less important than a Western one?

The ****?
---
-The Rev