This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are you not supposed to use Fel Flame to refresh DoTs?

#1DoomDenPosted 5/12/2013 7:49:49 AM
Does it cause them to do less damage than recasting them?
---
"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man."
#2BigEpPosted 5/12/2013 8:16:49 AM
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure is just not mana efficient during long fights. Questing and 5 man heroics I think fel flame is viable but when you're talking raid bosses that last a while, fel flame will drain your mana quickly due to all the refreshing you'll be doing.
#3ShadowEdgeXPosted 5/12/2013 8:19:48 AM
I think it's more a problem with wasting so many GCDs since it extends the dot for so short a time.
---
Proud to have formerly lived in the only country in the world whose National Sport has a sequel
#4EDarienPosted 5/12/2013 8:27:12 AM
It's not mana efficient, as was pointed out, but also the GCD thing. With the exception of very few times where movement is necessary and there's NOTHING else to do, Fel Flame is acceptable. However, with Kil'jaeden's Cunning, that situation kind of can't exist anymore since all spells are now able to be cast while moving.

If you absolutely get better DPS from either the reflection talent or the AoE from Mannoroth then Fel Flame has a small place specific times of heavy movement. Otherwise, it's pretty useless.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
#5no1oblivionfanPosted 5/12/2013 8:33:43 AM(edited)
Because it wastes too many GCDs in the long run and you can overwrite buffed dots with unbuffed ones. Fel flame should only be used when you get a buff and the DoTs are at <=50% of it's duration. It also doesn't refresh Agony.

Oh and it's a complete no-no if you're Destro as the mana cost is too high, granted I presume you mean Affliction as you said Dots plural
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
#6ChocoboMog123Posted 5/12/2013 10:20:47 AM
It's much less damage than MG, but is actually very close in DPS to Shadowbolt and non-Backdraft low-haste Incinerate. If it weren't for the mana cost, it'd be a very viable filler for Destro and Demo.
Fel Flame only adds 6 seconds to a dot, so it's a really weak way of refreshing dots. You're wasting GCD's when the single GCD refreshing Corruption or UA is more efficient.

There are times when using it is a DPS increase, even standing still, but they're rare and, if you have to ask, you're better off just taking it off your bars completely.
It's brainlessly good as Demo PvP, though.
---
"You're sorely underestimating the power of nostalgia goggles." - adjl
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110218.gif
#7ryouma17Posted 5/12/2013 10:27:25 AM
who says you cant use Fel Flame to refresh DoTs? its your toon use whatever rotation you want, dont let others tell you how to play
---
Ronnie O'Neal McLendon
08/09/1960 - 11/16/2011
#8AmakusaPosted 5/12/2013 10:32:22 AM
EDarien posted...
However, with Kil'jaeden's Cunning, that situation kind of can't exist anymore since all spells are now able to be cast while moving.

Kil'jaeden's Cunning is a liability in certain fights where the movement penalty can kill you (see Durumu maze for the most obvious example; there's others but I don't feel like going into that).
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#9AnaTheCatPosted 5/12/2013 10:44:20 AM
ryouma17 posted...
who says you cant use Fel Flame to refresh DoTs? its your toon use whatever rotation you want, dont let others tell you how to play

Because it does not refresh dots, it extends them by a moment or two.
#10ChocoboMog123Posted 5/12/2013 11:06:29 AM
Amakusa posted...
EDarien posted...
However, with Kil'jaeden's Cunning, that situation kind of can't exist anymore since all spells are now able to be cast while moving.

Kil'jaeden's Cunning is a liability in certain fights where the movement penalty can kill you (see Durumu maze for the most obvious example; there's others but I don't feel like going into that).

Just run by the melee side of Durumu, KJ should not be a hindrance during the maze. Life Drain and the color cones might be an issue, but Burning Rush easily solves that if you have any trouble with it.

There's a few fights where MF is better because the AOE is better, but the only one I can think where the snare is an issue is Ji-kun (Burning Rush solves frost on Meg).
---
"You're sorely underestimating the power of nostalgia goggles." - adjl
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110218.gif