This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some guy just whispered me and said it took 600 hours to hit level 60

#31CorrikPosted 5/14/2013 7:52:16 AM
I remember grinding a rare spawn just because he had the best weapon for my spec all the way up until 60 raids. Lol... vanilla was totally different than what WoW is now.
---
Currently playing WoW on Magtheridon: Main = Corrik
Xbox Live GT = "Corrik"
#32littlebro07Posted 5/14/2013 7:39:00 PM
Corrik posted...
I remember grinding a rare spawn just because he had the best weapon for my spec all the way up until 60 raids. Lol... vanilla was totally different than what WoW is now.

I would prefer that...are there still awesome epic world drops?
---
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/volcaitlin/gifs/dancning.gif
#33TheGreatCheeze(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 7:45:44 PM
littlebro07 posted...
Corrik posted...

I would prefer that...are there still awesome epic world drops?

Yes, mostly vanity now though.
---
Like I've said before, Allies are like sand people; they scare easily but they will be back in greater numbers.
-Reddit
#34IdTheDemonPosted 5/15/2013 12:31:49 AM
Back in May 2005 it took me over a month to hit 60 on my first toon, which was the ultra squishy Mage. Granted I was working and was using my old Powerbook G4 (Mac laptop) so that only added time. I was also new to MMO's though I was familiar with the concept of grinding and questing for items thanks to my Dreamcast addiction of Phantasy Star Online (HuCast for life).

It was a more tougher but adventurous game back then:

1) Getting gold was hard, especially for a new guy. Quests gave a lot less gold than they do now. I remember skipping a bunch of spells leveling because I couldn't afford them. Even at 60, unless you were playing the AH game or spend a lot of time doing

2) No 60% mount till 40. Hell I didn't actually get my mount till level 42 because it took forever to get the gold.

3) Gear was horribly optimized. Most cloth gear from quests were pure stats and int did not give spellpower (certain talents converted a % of int to a school of spell power). Quite often we saw strength resist gear was was often budgeted into states.

4) Overall quality of life of the game. HoTs and DoTs did not crit and direct damage spells only crit for 50% unless talented (under specific schools). Classes had almost none of the self healing and recovery as they do now. You killed a mob or two, eat food to recover hp/mana and moved on. Today, every class can tag and aoe mobs efficiently while questing. Back in Vanilla questing, you were lucky to kill 2 mobs at the same time (especially if you weren't a hunter or warlock).

5) Many quests often had an elite mob that could not be solo'd. Unless you had a party or outside help, these quests were a pain and it sucked because they gave a lot of hp and usually good xp.

6) If you played on a PVP server, chances were that you were got ganked. I remember on my mage that I got involved in a massive world pvp war back in STV. It was cool seeing dozens of people fight each other but I couldn't get a damn thing done.

7) And lastly, questing was boring. Almost every quest was the same design: kill trash mobs, loot them for quest items, collect materials and kill a named NPC. This continued in TBC too. And when it came to the loot items, the droprate on some were terrible. Anyone remember Helcular's Rod in the old Hillsbrad? Lol.

I wish I still had my screenshots from Vanilla and TBC.
---
AVALON | Intel 3570k @ 4.5ghz | MSI 7870 | 8gb Corsair | ASUS P8Z77-V LX | Hyper 212 EVO | 850W Corsair | 1tb HDD | Win 7 | NZXT Tempest