This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want WoW to be F2P?

#1Hoops01Posted 5/17/2013 7:52:03 AM
Never really understood this.

Even when I was a student, the subscription is nothing. Even 2 pints of beer is more expensive where I come from then the monthly sub and a packet of 20 cigarettes certainly are!

I presume that everyone under the working age gets their sub paid for by their parents.

So who are these people that can not afford to pay such a menial sum oO
#2HakPosted 5/17/2013 7:56:57 AM
A pint costs you over £4.50?! Bloody hell. You Swedish or something? Everywhere else in Europe except Scandinavia beer is extremely cheap. Even then though, smokes in Scandinavian countries costs less than in the UK, so it's not the UK (where smokes aren't yet over £8.99 a packet).

So either you're suffering from exaggeration, or you're from somewhere strange where booze and smokes are really expensive, though I do recall you're an EU player and can't think of any EU country where the prices of both are that high.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#3HakPosted 5/17/2013 7:59:32 AM(edited)
Though you referring to a "packet of 20" cigarettes suggests the UK. No other country I've ever been to sells them in 10 packs, so everyone else just refers to "a pack of smokes". And your nick suggests a Scot, or potentially Irish, Celtic fan.

I feel like Inspector Clouseau here.
---
In the book, it says He created us to be just like Him. So if we're dumb, then God is dumb, and maybe a little bit ugly on the side. - Zappa
#4Hoops01(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 8:00:28 AM
I live in the centre of London, £4.50 for a pint is the normal price.

I used to live near Bristol and you pay around £4.50 for a premium beer, £3.75+ for a normal weak beer.
#5colstripcapnPosted 5/17/2013 8:00:32 AM
People would rather pay $10 a character slot and $5 a respec, plus $30 for a mount faster than 60% speed.

Oh, and for $100 you can just skip the dungeons and heroics to get some raiding gear.

But remember! You can get all that for FREE! Just spend 3 months playing every day and you can get that character slot!
#6Hoops01(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 8:01:53 AM
Hak posted...
Though you referring to a "packet of 20" cigarettes suggests the UK. No other country I've ever been to sells them in 10 packs, so everyone else just refers to "a pack of smokes". And your nick suggests a Scot, or potentially Irish, Celtic fan.

I feel like Inspector Clouseau here.

My last name is Hooper, hence Hoops and I am English but good work.

I didn't know no where else sold packs of 10 oO
#7HakPosted 5/17/2013 8:03:35 AM(edited)
Ah, but smokes aren't over £9 a packet, so there is elements of exaggeration still there. There's a couple of bier halles in Glasgow which charge around £5-6 for some of their beers, mainly Hoegaarden, but the normal price for a pint of Foster's or something is £2.60-£3. Cheaper in Wetherspoon's, but then you have to deal with the pikeys.

And nowhere else sells 10 packs due to cost. In Slovenia (recent example - I was there last week) it's 3 euros a pack. Where's the sense in producing a whole new box size and packaging size for a smaller pack when the normal pack is so cheap? Most other countries follow the same logic.

---
#8Hoops01(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 9:30:19 AM
Hak posted...
Ah, but smokes aren't over £9 a packet, so there is elements of exaggeration still there. There's a couple of bier halles in Glasgow which charge around £5-6 for some of their beers, mainly Hoegaarden, but the normal price for a pint of Foster's or something is £2.60-£3. Cheaper in Wetherspoon's, but then you have to deal with the pikeys.

And nowhere else sells 10 packs due to cost. In Slovenia (recent example - I was there last week) it's 3 euros a pack. Where's the sense in producing a whole new box size and packaging size for a smaller pack when the normal pack is so cheap? Most other countries follow the same logic.

What kind of cigarettes are you buying under £9? oO
#9DENGUINPosted 5/17/2013 9:58:47 AM
People are to lazy to work i guess. WoW is cheaper than buying a 60$ console games all the time
---
Microsoft: we could make everybody buy 1 360... or we could make stupid people buy 10.
Boss: Thats brilliant because 1/4 of the world is re****ed. ROD it is!
#10TloyaPosted 5/17/2013 2:55:38 PM
It's a much bigger barrier to entry for young people without credit cards who have to explain to their parents why they should be subsidizing this poorly-understood "video game" thing. There's also just sort of a natural psychological barrier to paying for things. People like to hang on to their money. Read the first section of this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/piyankajain/2013/03/01/5-behavioral-economics-principles-for-marketeers/

Power Of Free: Can reducing the price of two commodities by the exact same amount, completely reverse consumer preference of one over the other? Traditional economics says NO. But indeed it is possible.

A group of researchers offered participants of a study a choice between purchasing a Hershey’s Kisses chocolate for 1-cent ($0.01) or Lindt Lindor chocolate truffle for 15 cents ($0.15). The participants, recognizing this as a good deal since the price differential in a supermarket would be larger than 14 cents between the two options, overwhelmingly chose the latter. However, when the price of both was reduced by 1 cent, thus making Kisses free and the Lindt Lindor for $0.14, the preference completely reversed with an overwhelming majority choosing Kisses!

What happened here? Nothing had changed–consumers would still get the same amount of incremental joy (consuming an exotic truffle vs. a regular candy) to the same amount of incremental pain (spending $0.14 more). The preference should not have changed. So why did it? Well, our response to price reduction becomes very non-linear when the price reaches “free”. We just love the word “FREE”. It evokes unreasonably positive feelings in the brain. Just the sight of the word “free” releases large quantities of dopamine in our brain to make us feel happy, and we end up responding irrationally.

So how does this play out in the real world. We get inundated with “free” offers every day and may believe that this does not affect us. But consider two economically identical deals– one messaged as ‘buy 1 get 1 free’; the other messaged as a volume discount deal as ‘get 50% off if you buy two’. Which one are you more likely to respond to?

---
Posts look awkward without a signature underneath