This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What in the blue hell? No more talent tree's? Does the game have any point?

#21mz985Posted 6/24/2013 9:47:22 AM
Talents were pretty boring. I rather not have to go online to look at how to spend my 43 talent points. However, I do think they they should let you pick a finite number of talents off the tree, instead of only picking one per bracket.
---
Follow me on Twitch!
http://www.twitch.tv/mz985
#22redundanciesPosted 6/24/2013 9:58:23 AM
I never said that talent tree's were challenging. But the game itself used to offer some actual challenge while leveling. There was an actual threat of being killed by those NPCs. Yeah I know it's a crazy concept to let sink in, large amount of which actually had this thing about them that made them tougher.. (Elite) which now hardly any do anymore.

Your first post talks about a character at level 10. Why would you expect starting enemies to prove a challenge to a long-term player?

Also, all the "elite" tag meant is that you were supposed to get a group to defeat the enemies, or run away from them. They usually didn't even have any special abilities, they just hit harder and had more health than normal mobs. I prefer a challenge where you actually have to think and react to effects (many end-chain quest bosses have these now)
#23SA_X_Mk_IIPosted 6/24/2013 12:33:07 PM
I agree with what redundancies said for the most part. There was never really any "I can beat this mob if..." that ended in "I become a better player", it was always "I get a group together" or "I get better gear".

I'll refer to TERA for one of 2 things they did amazing at (the other being the combat in general): BAMs (Big A** Monsters). These weren't just mobs that hit harder and had more health, but they all had their own special attack pattern. Learning to beat them, solo or grouped, required at least some basic knowledge of those patterns. For soloing, you had to know exactly how the move, when and what you need to do to survive.

I'll use one of the Spider mobs as an example (forget the name already). They had the following attacks: (I'll probably forget some)
-Frontal cleave: They'd lift most of their legs up and smash them down one at a time in a frontal cone. The CD on this ability was nearly non-existant and if one of the mini-hits got you, the rest all did.
-AoE Poison: It would spin in a circle and launch a poison attack in an AoE all around them.
-Rolling Attack: Would place themselves to the side and roll forward.
-Leap Attack: Would leap high into the air and slam down hard.
-Leap Retreat: Would leap high into the air, slam down hard and move back for a few seconds.

Any class could solo them at level, but the difficulty was different depending on the class. Lancers just blocked all the attacks with no issues, Mystics had their pet tank and only really had to watch for the rolling attack. The other classes had to use dodge moves in the proper direction and at the right time and know when to dodge and when to just run.

Warriors were always the most fun BAM soloing class and was the most fun I've had in an MMO yet. Since they had so many attacks that had movement in them, they basically had 5 or 6 "dodge" abilities.

WoW isn't "catering to casuals" by "making things easier", it's making things less annoying and more convenient. You won't hear many people say "I want Blizzard to triple the grind! I want 85-90 to be as long as 1-85 was! Bring back daily/dungeon grinding for rep to unlock Heroic Dungeons and long and annoying attunement quests for Raids! We get 75 extra levels in professions? BAH! Make it 150 extra levels and spread out patterns so if someone was at level 50, it's now at level 100! All this will do is make things take twice as long for no arbitrary reason!"
---
.: Tamoketh :: DRM is the fix no one wants, for a problem you can't avoid :.
.: You gotta be can we do you think if we can make a should just be alone? :.
#24angrywalrus13Posted 6/24/2013 12:38:24 PM
I rather like the random mobs in Pandaria that have abilities to avoid. I think they should be a little stronger (so you can't TOTALLY ignore them), but it's a nice touch.
---
support it because neverhood
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog
#25ShiningForceXPosted 6/26/2013 6:08:31 AM
Here we go again. Talent trees were fun. There are no rosy glasses on this point. They were a lot of fun during the leveling process. You felt as if you were slowly developing and powering up your character.

All Blizzard had to do was let you play with talents during the leveling process and then force you into the current set-ups when you hit level 90 (max level).

Would anyone enjoy going to a baseball game and being told only what the score change was each inning instead of being able to watch each inning played? The journey to the end of the game is a large part of the experience.
---
If you have to use force...use Shining Force!
#26VeliconisPosted 6/26/2013 7:20:09 AM
if u think the talent changes r bad u prolly didnt understand ur class to begin with topic creator also relax kid u r insanely mad irl over a game pretty weird dont u think try to relax cuz u r fuming bro.

What the Christ did I just look at?

You need a healthy dose of Pulp Fiction. :|
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
http://i.imgur.com/UzTVQwG.jpg
#27bstbllPosted 6/26/2013 7:34:35 AM
Veliconis posted...

It's Yhi. Typing in broken quasi-english while calling people mad and bad is his schtick. Don't quote him, don't respond to him, just pretend he isn't there.
---
So basically communists are druids. -Gestapoid
#28VeliconisPosted 6/26/2013 7:55:11 AM
Veliconis posted...

It's Yhi. Typing in broken quasi-english while calling people mad and bad is his schtick. Don't quote him, don't respond to him, just pretend he isn't there.

Done, done and done. Thanks for the tip.
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
http://i.imgur.com/UzTVQwG.jpg
#29DawnshadowPosted 6/26/2013 8:11:45 AM
On one hand... yes, leveling is going to be easier now than it was your first time-- you know the game now.

On the other hand, there is a problem, and it's actually not Blizzard nerfing the leveling experience-- the hardest pre-60 dungeons are the ones revamped in Cata or Mists. The problem is that our characters are objectively more powerful than they were when the dungeons and quests were new, and Blizzard didn't adjust them to compensate.

Admittedly, to someone in heirlooms anything will be easy-- heirlooms are very potent. But look at your typical group going through a BC or Wrath 5 man-- the boss fights rarely last more than 20 seconds, because average DPS is so high. While leveling my hunter, I was literally one-shotting quest mobs with Aimed Shot up until level 80. Even with heirlooms, our characters should not be one-shotting things.

I honestly think that Blizzard should nerf low level damage, or else boost the HP of low level things, and then increase XP to compensate. I actually think the pace of leveling is fine, but giving it some crunch would be good for the game.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#30EDarienPosted 6/26/2013 8:23:24 AM
So let me get this straight: Your'e a fairly regular poster here. At least enough so that I remember your name from some topic(s) (not that I can tell you which) who weighs in on the game and your opinions on things about the game ... but you haven't played in a long enough amount of time to see, or even had the knowledge that, talent trees are gone?

Sure sure.
---
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14