This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Serious Question - What makes you 'Elite' so to speak? Do others deserve it too?

#1silentzedPosted 6/24/2013 1:46:09 PM(edited)
So, with all of the talk surrounding legendary(ies), LFR, the casualization of the game and so forth, what exactly motivated people before this time?

Serious question and hoping to get some serious response. Is it because in past expansions that only some 1% of the population saw content, that there was a bit of exclusivity to that, kind of like being in a club that only had 100 members in a country that had 100,000 citizens?

Is it because you could say, "I am better than the rest of these people." or "I am more capable then these people, otherwise they would be in the same gear/have done the same content as I have.".

I suppose I have always been confused between the alleged Elitists and the non-elitists. Of course I have my own personal examples, which range from, "They didn't work as hard as I did, and therefore don't deserve to see this content/get this gear." to "If everyone had access to everything, what's the point of pushing for the hard mode content if the only difference it means, to me, is slightly different looking gear.".

For me, my sense of satisfaction came from performing better than those around me and having those people come to me for advice on how to improve, from being the one that objectively carried 1 or more people by making up for their slack, and rather from being part of a team where although it could be said objectively I am doing more work than others, but the fact we are clearing content as a team is all that has really mattered to me. Of course there is still a sense of pride in knowing I am ranking and being head and shoulders ahead of others.

I guess I just don't see it, or if I ever had in the past, I certainly don't feel it now, as what I use to differentiate myself is what I have always used, which is my own performance and pride therein.

What about the rest of you GameFAQs? Do you deserve (X) more than others, and if so, why?

EDIT: Second question - Is Elitism ever warranted? I've always seen it as kind of a double edged sword, where the benefit is that usually elitists are more motivated, never satisfied and always pushing to be the best, where the downside is occasionally alienating others if they don't think they are trying as hard as they should be (Or worse yet, disagreeing with Raid/Guild Leaders in how things are handled, whether it is because they feel entitled to more control because of their performance or something else).
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#2CelticsHomerProPosted 6/24/2013 1:33:34 PM
my ilvl, mounts, and swag
---
WarcraftMillionaire http://i.imgur.com/pVGePQu.jpg 4.5ghz|GTX780
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Sesshomaruxl/advanced
#3cute_latino009Posted 6/24/2013 1:50:21 PM
1% of 100,000 is not 100. I don't consider myself elite, I'm more of a casual player. I only log in to do some bgs, arenas and rbgs. The only raiding I've done was lfr, and that was the first tier only... And it wasn't for me.

I do believe they should bring back elite pvp gear that is a higher item level than conquest gear. With the changes to instanced PvP, what does it matter? It'll only get down scaled, but make a larger difference towards raiders.

For those pvp players that do pve content as well, I'm at a huge disadvantage. Not only are they knowledgeable on pvp, but they now sport pve gear. I don't want to do pve content to remain competitive in world PvP (especially since my realm is very pvp heavy)
#4metroidfreakv4Posted 6/24/2013 1:53:38 PM
CelticsHomerPro posted...

It's mostly swag
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO-HGwxJNg
#5silentzed(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 1:57:18 PM
cute_latino009 posted...
1% of 100,000 is not 100

Bad math on my part, I should have said 10,000.
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#6BelialkkPosted 6/24/2013 2:06:12 PM
silentzed posted...
cute_latino009 posted...
1% of 100,000 is not 100

That would be 10%.
---
SSF4AE Mains: Gen/Gouken
Xbox GT: WiveAdon, 3DS FC 1934-1004-1941
#7silentzed(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 2:08:46 PM
Belialkk posted...
silentzed posted...
cute_latino009 posted...
1% of 100,000 is not 100

That would be 10%.

That was supposed to be 100 out of 10,000, not 10,000 out of 100,000.

(Also, really guys?)
---
/target Face
/cast Palm
#8AtcatPosted 6/24/2013 2:19:49 PM
CelticsHomerPro posted...

You haven't even cleared ToT rofl
#9redundanciesPosted 6/24/2013 2:55:24 PM
what exactly motivated people before this time?

Speaking only for myself, I've been a gamer since I was like three years old and my family owned an Atari 2600. I always only strived to be better than I was yesterday. Since I've been playing WoW for a few years, I hopefully don't have much room left to grow, but I can always improve on an individual encounter basis.

To that end I don't usually carry any elitism with me. Whatever others do is of no concern to me.

Is Elitism ever warranted?

I would say "Yes". When is it warranted? When it directly affects you. Someone's trying to apply to your raiding guild and not taking the time to actually complete the application form? Warranted. Some LFR hero can get items that sorta look like yours and are 20/33 item levels below what you have? Not warranted.
#10DawnshadowPosted 6/24/2013 3:13:45 PM
I'm not really elite (unless you count an elite RPer-- I am in a guild with pretty high standards on that front.) I'm not bad at the game-- I could honestly probably raid heroics if I wanted to make the commitment-- but I don't enjoy hardcore raiding and have a very low tolerance for PvP, so my gear has never been all that good. The problem is, you need gear to pug, and you need to raid to have gear-- a nice catch 22.

"Second question - Is Elitism ever warranted?"

That depends on the context. If you're recruiting for an arena team or hard mode raid guild then yes, you will need to show some degree of elitism among your own. But kicking someone who just hit 90 out of your random heroic because their gear is bad? Whining that someone shouldn't be in LFR if they don't know the fight inside out, or can't pull 100k DPS? Cussing out someone who's just doing dailies because their gear isn't gemmed or enchanted? Nonsense.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/