This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the new models cause subs to drop?

#1ExtremeLuchadorPosted 11/23/2013 9:25:05 AM
I remember when EQ had an expansion with new character models. The one about the moon. Half of their players couldn't run the damn game anymore. They had to put in an option for players to switch back to the old 1994 looking models.
---
"It was horrible," guard Jeff McInnis said.
"I took 100 naps and we were still in the air."
#2The_ChadillacPosted 11/23/2013 9:30:06 AM
Considering how behind the times the graphics are, I don't see this being a huge problem. For instance, on my 8 year old computer that cost about 800$ at the time, I can still run WoW at 30 fps except for in hectic spots in LFR and the graphics card in it was only 80 bucks at the time I got the computer. Sure there may be some of us that need to upgrade, but I don't expect it to be a big problem causing many unsubs.
---
3DS Friend Code: 4699-5736-3472
#3mooninomicsPosted 11/23/2013 9:32:53 AM
Eh, maybe. Honestly, anything could potentially make subscriptions drop.

I don't see this being an issue, though. It's not going to be that much of a performance drop, is it?
---
Life is too short.
#4vahndragonwingPosted 11/23/2013 9:37:30 AM
Considering the graphics wont be any rougher than the pandaren, anyone who can already play shouldn't have much issue.
---
IMO
3050-9023-0902
#5Black_Mage_MeeePosted 11/23/2013 9:50:59 AM
"The team has talked about the different ways they could roll out new character models, including just switching them one day or allowing people to opt out and keep the old ones for performance reasons."
---
~Kweh
#6MajinUltimaPosted 11/23/2013 9:54:55 AM
If Blizzard doesn't let players choose freshly from the new models, yes. Nothing will ever cause a huge number of subs to drop, but getting nickled and dimed to recustomize a dozen characters because you don't like the way your model got changed is something that will cause drops. Even if not immediately, you lose motivation to play.

If they add faces to the barber or give a one-time recustomization when a race launches, I can't imagine you'll have almost any drops.
---
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7324/ktef.png
#7AshrahnPosted 11/23/2013 10:21:54 AM(edited)
MajinUltima posted...
If Blizzard doesn't let players choose freshly from the new models, yes. Nothing will ever cause a huge number of subs to drop, but getting nickled and dimed to recustomize a dozen characters because you don't like the way your model got changed is something that will cause drops. Even if not immediately, you lose motivation to play.

If they add faces to the barber or give a one-time recustomization when a race launches, I can't imagine you'll have almost any drops.

Honestly this. I think this is what would cause sub loss. I know nothing is set in stone but in an interview didn't someone say that if you didn't like the new look you were "allowed" to buy a recustomization to make it to your tastes, and it had this huge backlash? I would probably deal with it if that was the case and just learn to enjoy my new character, I'm just glad new models are going to be a thing and I'm appreciative of that but allowing us to redo our characters would just be the icing on top though they're not obligated to offer it at all.
#8GreatDrakePosted 11/23/2013 12:02:12 PM
There will probably be some people that can't play my when I first installed MoP I was warned my video card isn't supported but I can still play but I can't play Diablo 3 and each expansion the requirements get a little higher but Blizzard is also careful with graphics not to exclude a large portion of people just because they can't run WoW.
---
Bedlam Boy's Disturbing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2puDJun9iCA&feature=related
#9dubya_111Posted 11/23/2013 12:29:20 PM
There's a ton of stuff they can do to alleviate the small performance hit. The graphics people that work on WoW are actually pretty damn brilliant considering how optimized the game is.
#10fallen_acolytePosted 11/23/2013 12:40:38 PM
Is this just characters or are they making an entire graphics overhaul.
---
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte Xbox: Fallen Acolyte