This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the new models cause subs to drop?

#11DawnshadowPosted 11/23/2013 1:53:39 PM
fallen_acolyte posted...
Is this just characters or are they making an entire graphics overhaul.

Just characters-- they're just bringing the old models up in line with the Pandaren.

Really, it's not that big a deal in terms of system requirements-- if you can handle a 20 man where everyone is a pandaren/goblin/worgen you should be OK.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#12metraloPosted 11/23/2013 2:25:19 PM
in terms of people crying, maybe

people have already started b****ing and moaning about how bad the new models are
---
WATCHING RUSSELL WILSON DROP BOMBS ON US MAKES ME REALIZE THAT INSTEAD OF A GOOD CHRISTIAN QB - WE HAVE A MUSLIM PLUNDERING AP'S BEST YEARS
#13MajinUltimaPosted 11/23/2013 3:10:00 PM
metralo posted...
in terms of people crying, maybe
people have already started b****ing and moaning about how bad the new models are

--Art is subjective, go figure. I, for one, find the female gnome completely alien to the existing models. I've cooled over time and think it looks okay, but nowhere near as cute as my current low-polygon one.

People will probably find something they can live with if given the freedom to choose without paying extra though. But if Blizz gouges players' dissatisfaction by forcing people to suck it up, or to pay, then it will eventually add up to some subs lost. No one thing is likely to ever cause a huge dent in subs. For some, that would be a last straw... for others, that will just be another straw before the last.

They're also going to put in a feature to toggle old models (for ALL players that YOU see, not just your own model) so that some older systems don't just die when they see a hundred new orcs on fey drakes camping a world boss spawn.

I think Blizz is currently stalling the issue to avoid promising something for "free", regardless of the fact that I didn't have to pay the first time I chose my character under the old models, and shouldn't have to pay under the new ones. I know there's a lot of players like me for whom this would be a fairly heavily damning issue and likely to lead to quitting, even if not immediately.
---
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7324/ktef.png
#14Cloudwatcher13Posted 11/23/2013 4:14:32 PM(edited)
Not a fan of the new undead, or at least the face they chose to show. I don't think it captured the Forsaken feel very well. I think I saw someone on mmo champ do an edit of it, looked much better

I don't see too many sub drops happening from this particularly though, who knows
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXB9UuRLAcI
#15metraloPosted 11/23/2013 6:31:56 PM
which is why they are taking so long and didn't want to update the models in the first place. because somehow people actually like the 10 poly models.
---
WATCHING RUSSELL WILSON DROP BOMBS ON US MAKES ME REALIZE THAT INSTEAD OF A GOOD CHRISTIAN QB - WE HAVE A MUSLIM PLUNDERING AP'S BEST YEARS
#16GreatDrakePosted 11/23/2013 7:02:33 PM
metralo posted...
which is why they are taking so long and didn't want to update the models in the first place. because somehow people actually like the 10 poly models.

Truth is it's not so much they like the models themselves when making a new char normally people would be more than happy to use the new models but when it comes to an existing char that you have spent time and effort on they grow attached so don't want it to change in major way's.
---
Bedlam Boy's Disturbing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2puDJun9iCA&feature=related
#17Joggy140Posted 11/24/2013 4:59:31 AM
I honestly don't get the hype for new models. Most of the stuff added is to faces. How often do I see my character or any characters face? Not very much...

The new skeletons are okay but it will still hardly be noticeable under our giant shoulder armor.

What we need is a lot of new spell animations. The same 2 or 3 animations for attacking with a class is boring. I wanna see some more variety.
---
PSN Joggy140
Jpn 3DS 0430-9385-0325
#18Lucius43Posted 11/24/2013 10:08:17 AM
Black_Mage_Meee posted...
"The team has talked about the different ways they could roll out new character models, including just switching them one day or allowing people to opt out and keep the old ones for performance reasons."

I feel like this slipped by. The Morgan Webb interview really elaborates on this, how there will be an opt-out on the models if your frame rate suffers, or if for some reason you don't like it.