This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to understand the lore of WoW. Should I play Warcraft 3? Warcraft 1/2?

#1NordiniPosted 6/17/2014 3:52:22 PM
I'm new to WoW.
My roommate has Warcraft 3+expansions and I was thinking of playing it because I want to learn about the lore behind things in WoW.

Will Warcraft 3 give me a better understanding?
Should I play Warcraft 1 and 2 to understand Warcraft 3?
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#2Ness0123456789Posted 6/17/2014 3:57:15 PM(edited)
I'd skip the first two Warcraft games, honestly.

Most of what happened in WC1 and 2 aren't referenced in WoW or WC3. However WC3 plays a very vital role in the over all story of WoW, and is also the most fun to play of the trilogy as well.

I'd actually just read the novelizations of Wacraft 2 and it's expansion, and wait for the movie for WC1.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#3Kanus_oq_SerunaPosted 6/17/2014 4:12:50 PM
You'll get the gist of WC2 from the novels, and the background of the rest from the other novels. While you are at it, Arthas gives some background to the human/undead campaigns of WC3, though playing WC3 is better.
---
For topical discussions of the Source Mod remake of Half Life: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683833-black-mesa
#4OgurisamaPosted 6/17/2014 4:14:23 PM
Basically all you need to know about 1st and 2nd war you can read up online.

first war the old horde defeated Stormwind, the second war horde lost, and tye alliance put them in interment camps
---
http://cdn-android.apptap.com/img/870/mobi.colortrilogy.bitlink/267135850.png
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/10/5/uv4r7nGyrE6ylt2lHGWpiQ2.gif
#5Lucius43Posted 6/17/2014 4:45:59 PM
The original warcraft is unplayable by today's standards. I've tried to play WC2 somewhat recently (like 3 yrs ago) and it wasn't super enjoyable even with the bonus of nostalgia. There was resolution and processing speed issues that I just didn't care to troubleshoot.

Basically I agree w the other posters, just play WC3 RoC + TFT. Very enjoyable RTS campaigns, I think you'll really like it if you're a story buff. The RTS games tell the story so much better than the MMO.
#6Nordini(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 5:12:51 PM
Wait, but World of Warcraft takes place after the events of Warcraft 3...correct?
---
Gentlemen understand that embezzlement, insider trading, tax fraud, and similar activities are not crimes. Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#7ElaeusPosted 6/17/2014 5:14:50 PM
Lucius43 posted...
The original warcraft is unplayable by today's standards

Sums up what I came to say.

We enjoyed them back then. I loved them. I miss them now. Would I play them today? No. WCIII, yes, but the other 2? No. I was a big fan of the first game and never played the second. I would love to try the second one for once I really do because I am a big fan of the Warcraft series, but I just can't find it in me to even install it.

Like they said, read the books. If you really want to try some old school RTS, then WCIII should be enough and you might prefer to cover everything prior by books and the upcoming movie as suggested.
---
My heart just wouldn't be in it, you know? Haven't got one.
#8koujimorenoPosted 6/17/2014 5:52:11 PM
There's videos on YouTube that explain almost all the lore in a short amount of time. Just an option.
#9Shadow_Of_FenixPosted 6/17/2014 6:54:59 PM
Warcraft 1= Orcs Defeat stormwind
Warcraft 2=Orc Storyline is cannon for the initial part of the story, and the ally expac storyline is cannon. Turalyon and Alleria haven't been seen in Years!

WC3 needs quite a bit of explaining, but it is a quality RTS worth playing if you enjoy them.

And yes, WoW's story takes place 10 years after The Frozen Thrones ending.
---
Why do you call yourself Mature Link if you hate Nintendo so much?! Should your name be something like: Humps__t3h__Sony? Super SEGA Bros
#10thronedfire2Posted 6/17/2014 7:33:25 PM
WC3 is an awesome game and you should play it either way.
---
I could see you, but I couldn't hear you You were holding your hat in the breeze Turning away from me In this moment you were stolen...