This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the famous SO3 Rip off?!?

#1ipodluvaPosted 1/15/2008 9:51:39 AM
I cannot figure this out! In one of the reviews for this game, the reviewer says that the storyline for SO3 is a quote: "Total and complete rip-off of a very popular pop culture movie. If you have played SO3, then you know what this movie is." What in the world is the movie?! I played the game (but am currently stuck in the Spiral Tower) but I still don't know what the movie is! My brother is a SO3 pro, and he has no idea what it could be. Please help me out here T__T
-----------
Hey Jin! You better not be cheating on me!
(R.I.P Eddie) T~T
#2VelariPosted 1/15/2008 10:02:11 AM
SPOILERS for SO3 and "a very popular pop culture movie!"

He is referencing The Matrix, even though it has long been established that there are other movies SO3 compares much more closely to. The only parallel between SO3 and The Matrix is the fake/simulated/digital world concept, and that wasn't exactly new at the time either.
Not only were there movies with the same basic concept in that same year (eXistenZ is the first that springs to mind), but there were many before it.

Also, other movies compare to SO3 much better. One that was mentioned often was called The Thirteenth ... Floor? The Thirteenth Ladder? Oh well, I don't remember, though it was definitely the 13th of something and not a Friday :P

I think it was the Thirteenth Floor >_>
Which I believe was a 1999 film as well <_<

---
SO3 board resident sagissa.
Liek omfg its teh lesbian!11!11@1, etc, etc. Wolfwood824 - about me ^_^
#3Biblio_InarabitPosted 1/15/2008 1:14:33 PM
it may be a ripoff but the game is sure way better than the movie.

---
"I love Breath of fire and Star Ocean!" :]
#4AmakusaPosted 1/15/2008 6:43:04 PM
The concept is hardly new.

Incidentally, there's a quest in World of Warcraft where an NPC off-handedly says someone was theorizing that they were all figments of someone's imagination created for their personal amusement. I thought that was real funny.

---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#5ArcadiaLegendPosted 1/15/2008 6:56:31 PM
It's not a ripoff of anything. The game's storyline doesn't copy anything directly. Besides if you look on the wikipedia page for SO3 it will also tell you the idea came from a book. Please don't refer to it as a ripoff just because of what one person claims.
---
SO3 CPU Tournament: korangar, drkhades(winners!)
I hereby crown thee Fayt Leingod the Ultimate champion(Fayt & Luke fangirl)(Shun=my hero)(I love Ptsygnh)
#6DarkBlueAntPosted 1/15/2008 9:10:54 PM
Sure it's not an exact ripoff, but the way the game progresses pretty much makes it look like the guys in charge of the project just saw the Matrix and decided to throw it into the second half of the game because it's "deep." ... I feel bad for those programmers putting their hearts into mechanics and dungeon building and programming AI while the writers took a dump on a piece of paper and called it a day.
---
2363 2107 6309
#7RhysCordellePosted 1/15/2008 9:34:34 PM

I hope you don't mean that seriously. It's quite clear that from the very start of the game the plot is in place for this storyline, with Fayt being highly sought after and his powers starting to show (where he nearly faints).

#8ArcadiaLegendPosted 1/15/2008 10:16:02 PM
That and he nearly disintegrated Norton into nothingness. If Cliff hadn't shown up Fayt would have manifested right there.
---
SO3 CPU Tournament: korangar, drkhades(winners!)
I hereby crown thee Fayt Leingod the Ultimate champion(Fayt & Luke fangirl)(Shun=my hero)(I love Ptsygnh)
#9Deathbringer21Posted 1/15/2008 10:36:03 PM
new and exciting topix!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!12lolwut11!!!
---
lol wut
Any game with a semen gauge has to be worth playing. That's my motto - The n00b Avenger
#10dawnquestPosted 1/16/2008 12:51:05 AM
It's not the most inspiring plottwist since there wasn't much buildup to come to that conclusion. Suppose if something happened like some "weird glitches" in disc1, then it would super to help out with the story. But the plot is still better than some other rpgs like FFX's plot.