This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How important is "No MP Damage"?

#1LexifoxPosted 1/24/2008 11:51:07 AM
I've been playing the game for a few years now, but I've only recently decided to get "serious" about things. So I'm curious to know, exactly how important is it to have No MP Damage 30% on my weapons? The majority of the attacks in the game seem to hit HP over MP, so could I just use Convert Damage to turn things into MP damage, boost MP up with +20% Max MP, then based on the character, give him/her a Ring of Mental Power/6% MP recovery factor? Or would it be more better to have No MP Damage solely for EQ, etc., where MP damage is going to be occurring far more often than, say, the upper levels of Sphere? And yes, I know that No HP/MP Damage works before Convert Damage and that defense means nothing on the higher difficulties.

I suspect this is going to be the case of "No MP Damage is more important on harder difficulties and/or EQ, Freya, etc. or turn out to be based on how quick I am with dodging/stun bombs. I'm just using Galaxy's final superbosses as testing grounds for what I'll eventually end up making in Universe/4D.

And no, I don't fill up my weapons with solely these factors. I also make use of Raging Anger, emits/shoots powerful factors for Pep/Albel/Divine Blade Fayt, etc. Of course, Sophia and Adray have their own specialized Adept Staff and Demon Slayer (though Adray also has a physical weapon for when I want to use him for that purpose). I also used the board FAQs as guidelines, but I realize they're fairly old and may be deemed obsolete, and I'm also not too keen on some (such as putting +50% for fire spells on Sophia's staff, or giving Sophia a Victory Trophy).
---
Red mages > Blue mages
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." óJanus, speaker of the synod
#2crate3333Posted 1/24/2008 2:37:12 PM
It's almost always a worthless factor.
---
Implication is a strong weapon.
I do read sometimes.
#3Biblio_InarabitPosted 1/24/2008 2:47:03 PM
This may be a dumb question but, will No MP damage 30% of the time work if you have convert damage on?

---
"I love Breath of fire and Star Ocean!" :]
#4Lexifox(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2008 2:48:49 PM
Yes, No MP Damage can still "block" MP damage before Convert Damage activates, but IIRC, it won't block the converted damage.
---
Red mages > Blue mages
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." óJanus, speaker of the synod
#5Matt620Posted 1/24/2008 4:43:28 PM
On Galaxy, the factor is fairly worthless. Just go for Boots and ignore Raging Anger. Defense has it's uses, even on higher difficulties. Though not on the superbosses, not all fights are superbosses.
---
-M
#6blackfeather_58Posted 1/24/2008 4:48:31 PM
I suspect this is going to be the case of "No MP Damage is more important on harder difficulties and/or EQ, Freya, etc. or turn out to be based on how quick I am with dodging/stun bombs.

Actually, it is arguably more useless in higher difficulties.
#7Biblio_InarabitPosted 1/24/2008 4:54:28 PM
I find no HP damage 30% of the time to be much more worth it simply because used in conjuction with first-aid you have a better chance of surviving.

---
"I love Breath of fire and Star Ocean!" :]
#8Lexifox(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2008 8:44:46 PM
On Galaxy, the factor is fairly worthless.

I said I'm planning on going for Universe soon. I'm just experimenting on my Galaxy file so I can make proper weapons more easily when I play harder difficulties.

Just go for Boots and ignore Raging Anger. Defense has it's uses, even on higher difficulties. Though not on the superbosses, not all fights are superbosses.

I enjoy the game enough to create multiple weapons for everyone, so I'll likely end up making some +30 ATK/DEF weapons and some Raging Anger weapons.

Actually, it is arguably more useless in higher difficulties.

Care to elaborate?
---
Red mages > Blue mages
#9blackfeather_58Posted 1/24/2008 11:51:29 PM
Care to elaborate?

With the exception of the Security Soldiers and Azazer, all enemies in the game that inflict MP damage will also inflict HP damage (about nine times more). This means that there are few instances where you will be actually obtain death by MP from an enemy's attack.

That is, unless you use convert damage to MP. However, when playing in higher difficulties, the HP damage potential of enemies are high enough that convert damage to MP (or uber defense) is a must if you want your party to have some form of durability. With convert damage set to MP, it becomes practically impossible for No MP Damage 30% to prevent an incapacitation. In fact, the converted MP damage dealt by the HP component of the enemy's attack would be more damaging than the MP component itself.

Basically, No MP Damage 30% is useless in higher difficulties because said factor will not be able to save your party members when they are hit by an MP incapacitation capable attack.
#10LadysoalluringPosted 1/25/2008 2:21:23 AM
Just going for boots is boring ;p Especially for characters like Peppita who don't need them. Raging Anger is better for Maria as well since the entire point of boots being effective is to turn Berserk off and you don't want to do that with damage dealers ;p
---
The only thing I am guilty of is a lot of love, enthusiasm and being myself. If that's a crime, then it's a cross I'm willing to bear.