This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Damn AI...

#11Mad_CartoonistPosted 9/12/2012 8:24:19 PM
Me neither - -"
And that was also partially why I don't understand how people are saying P4 is easier than P3. I never have trouble manipulating my party members' AI in P3 vanilla.

This game's character AI isn't the best, but they are not exactly dumb at maxed status skill and the right manipulation either.
---
President of the [SEEF] Club. Members: 25
Read my fictions at M_C's Insane Blog [http://wp.me/2gBDt] (See 'quote' for more info)
#12shadowysea07Posted 9/13/2012 9:34:24 AM
ha well i should of specified that if you use mitsuru and akihiko specifically both of them have stupid as all hell ai. mitsuru being the queen of stupidity due to bufu spam on reflecting and absorbing enemies along with marin karin spam. akihiko is horrible to bring along if there are any enemies that absorb his element he'll gladly heal them. any other problems just stem from them not healing enough in battle.
---
You've been taking writing tips from stephanie meyer haven't you? oh you poor thing.
Nuns? Nuns threw soap at me? Nuns think i'm a bad mother?
#13Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/13/2012 11:14:07 AM
There pretty much isn't a single situation in P3 where you can't guarantee the particular action you want with Tactics. The "trick" is to understand the rules the AI works by. It assumes status spells are powerful attacks, because let's face it, they are. But that power rating doesn't consider knockdowns and Once Mores.

I don't recall anyone casting absorbed and reflected spells on scanned enemies, and partners can be set to heal without any trouble. It's just a common realization that changing Tactics every turn is basically the same as selecting actions, with a similar amount of button clicks.

P4 is easier because hitting knocked down enemies doesn't pick them up, and Social Link mechanics make it even harder for the MC to die. Partners randomly getting free knockdowns when you do so is just icing on the cake. That, and some partners, namely Yosuke, are WAY too versatile from start to finish. He's basically running around with an elite-tweaked player Persona at all times; use him right, and you have two MCs.

Enemy AI is almost entirely random, and it's the only thing that keeps some enemy teams from completely wiping a party on the first enemy turn. It's intentional, and it's a bit of necessary balance.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).
#14Kane90987(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2012 12:02:37 PM
shadowysea07 posted...
ha well i should of specified that if you use mitsuru and akihiko specifically both of them have stupid as all hell ai. mitsuru being the queen of stupidity due to bufu spam on reflecting and absorbing enemies along with marin karin spam. akihiko is horrible to bring along if there are any enemies that absorb his element he'll gladly heal them. any other problems just stem from them not healing enough in battle.

I have to agree, and disagree. I always use Mitsuru, and she doesn't always spam bufu. She does, however use Marin Karin alot, which, SOMETIMES can be helpful, but otherwise, it's a waste of a turn.

I never really used Akihiko, though. I have a habit of always using the same characters I've been using since the beginning of any game (unless it's a game like Radiata Stories, or Suikoden, where you recruit alot of characters... Hate all you want on Radiata Stories, I find it to be a good game with a good story, but i digress), so I always use Yukari, Junpei, and Mitsuru on Persona 3.

But, yea, I've never really had much of a problem with Mitsuru.. All it takes is scanning enemies, and the other party members always seem to handle the fights well.
#15Ecclesiastes273Posted 9/13/2012 1:25:23 PM
The answer to Marin Karin is Knock Down. This really should be the first thought going through the head of someone seeing an undesired Marin Karin or buff/heal. Incidentally, Knock Down is the solution to most AI problems. It's really most of the reason you have partners in the first place.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).