This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm planning to complete my Sophia FAQ before next semester starts

#11ClaudeLv250Posted 10/3/2012 1:18:10 AM
Well the difference Sophia and symbologist Fayt is that no one actually considers a symbology-focused Fayt to be a viable party member. It's one of those masochistic challenges people do, like a mage party in SO2.

Sophia is trash through and through, and the game never warns you of the burden you're going to be saddled with. The Vendeeni taking her early in the game was a blessing in disguise; sometimes I wonder if Biwig threw the fight just so they could get away from her.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#12Ecclesiastes273Posted 10/3/2012 1:54:44 AM
Symbology Fayt isn't considered viable because he sacrifices one of the best defensive/interruptive options among the cast, requires dedicated IC to specialize him in any way, and doesn't get Cancel Bonus. If nothing else, Sophia does Symbology magnitudes better, not the least because Fayt is great at knocking down stuff for her. There are roles Sophia DOES fit well in, roles where other would either be lacking and/or be wasting potential. People get stuck on damage output, when it's all about interruption and Guard Breaks; the damage is secondary.

Sophia has overpowered Major modifiers, and only needs high Atk and maybe a couple of Attack Decisions to chainsaw through HP/MP. Where I'm at in the postgame, Fireworks is pretty much optional, though she's still great at that thanks to zero knockback.

Nothing like getting Symbology BTs with Fayt. FML.
---
Son.
#13Mad_Cartoonist(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 2:41:35 AM
So folks, here's the table of contents to my FAQ.

I) Legal Infos / Disclaimers [COMPLETED]
Disclaimer stuffs, blah blah blah. It just needs to be there.

II) Introduction [Done, but pending review]
Introduction to this FAQ as well as why I am doing this for an 8-years old game.

III) Brief Background [Done, but pending review]
Sophia's brief background which can be viewed from the dictionary.

IV) Character Overview[Done, but pending review]
A brief explanation of what she can potentially offer in battle that can turn its tide.

V) Her Attacks and Battle Skills
- Normal Attacks
- Battle Skills
- Support Battle Skills
- Tactical Skills
- Symbologies

Needed help here the most ._.
I'm still missing the numbers and figures for each battle skills (namely damage multipliers). Also, my outdated comments on each skills need to be revised to reduce overly hyped exaggeration.

VI) Recommended Setups
Setups galore.
I have quite a number of them, but I'm still waiting for contributed ones like Ecc's physical setups, or the Blood Scylla setups.

VII) General Tactics
A couple of settings or strategy that will exploit Sophia's easy-to-manipulate AIs.
Such as setting her as Auto-Leader.

VIII) Item Creation
I thought about including her Item Creation capability for the sake of it, but I might remove it since it's a little unrelated.

IX) Credits
Thanks to anyone who provides constructive comments.
---
President of the [SEEF] Club. Members: 25
Read my fictions at M_C's Insane Blog [http://wp.me/2gBDt] (See 'quote' for more info)
#14xSylpheedPosted 10/3/2012 5:58:10 AM(edited)
Ecclesiastes273 posted...
Symbology Fayt isn't considered viable because he sacrifices one of the best defensive/interruptive options among the cast, requires dedicated IC to specialize him in any way, and doesn't get Cancel Bonus. If nothing else, Sophia does Symbology magnitudes better, not the least because Fayt is great at knocking down stuff for her. There are roles Sophia DOES fit well in, roles where other would either be lacking and/or be wasting potential. People get stuck on damage output, when it's all about interruption and Guard Breaks; the damage is secondary.

Sophia has overpowered Major modifiers, and only needs high Atk and maybe a couple of Attack Decisions to chainsaw through HP/MP. Where I'm at in the postgame, Fireworks is pretty much optional, though she's still great at that thanks to zero knockback.

Nothing like getting Symbology BTs with Fayt. FML.

Damage is by far the most important thing in this game. It is not, by any stretch of the phrase, "all about guard breaks and interruption". Sophia's best use is Thunder Flare chains at range, and she is outclassed by Fists of Fury in both damage and stunlocking ability. Her biggest boon is safety in range and the aoe effect of TF for randoms.

Damage output always comes first when discussing a character's overall worth. Damage is speed, speed is safety, safety + speed is efficiency. Stunlocking is the only worthwhile support role, because it greatly increases damage output by increasing team safety. Only two characters can do it, and that saves Sophia from being a totally outclassed character.

Sophia is not worthless, her one trick is a very important one. But she is among the worst characters in the game. Claude is trolling, but it's no reason to start acting like she's a better character than she really is. In reality you're just doing what he wants you to do. Any character can be used to great effect in this game, some are just better than others. By acknowledging his statement about her not even being usable and trying to counter it, you're only fueling the fire.
#15Ecclesiastes273Posted 10/3/2012 9:24:35 AM
By "all about stunlock and guard breaks", I'm obviously talking about the Symbology. The damage comes from the other two characters. If you're looking strictly at Sophia's damage output, you have a diabolical master plan, or points are being missed.

I never made claims about Sophia being better than other characters. I'm talking strictly on an individual basis; no sane person would compare a physical Sophia to a physical...anyone else, but compared to the numbers her Symbology puts out, it's really not too bad, partly because wtfmodifiers and partly because magic damage is just that hindered. I'll get back to that Claude point if I ever end up being offended or irritated by anything he says. I think the guy is classy and hilarious.
---
Son.
#16Mad_Cartoonist(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 8:29:00 PM
The main reason of using Sophia at all, IMO, is her safety stunlocking capability.

Obviously, FoF and maybe even Aura Wall does the Stunlocking better, but even then, Cliff's FoF slots should have been given for something else that has more kicks, and Albel...Eh, i'm not sure about him, but from my experience Aura Wall seems a little wonky and on top of that, it knocks down enemy after the animation.
However, both of those attacks do not have the Guard Breaking and Range Safety that Thunder Flare Chain does.

Overall, my FAQ was intended to emphasis just on that since it was what helped me maintain my sanity throughout the remaining half of 4D game.
I haven't deny the fact that she's among the lower tier characters of this game, but I still believe her part in a game-over-proof strategy against Freya is still worth mentioning.

Also, I heard many people trying out weird setups on her like Point-Blank Symbology or pure Phy setups. Even I myself can't personally see that happening, but I'm more than interested in seeing its results.
---
Read my fictions at M_C's Insane Blog [http://wp.me/2gBDt] (See 'quote' for more info)
#17Namida_no_namiPosted 10/4/2012 3:33:26 PM
hey people! what's up? :D

some thinking never change uh? hahaha, well, whatever, everyone has freedom to play their way

oh btw, have you guys checked M_C's polls yet? would be nice to hear opinions there, too!

@M_C: by updates I mean new setups that you haven't think of at the moment of publishing or damage from spells you haven't tested yet
---
'official' Computer Science Engineering student of the DDFF board; currently working on a SO3 sticky and FE stadistic data
PSN: Ike_Ocean
#18Mad_Cartoonist(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 5:17:22 PM
oh btw, have you guys checked M_C's polls yet? would be nice to hear opinions there, too!

^ Which poll? @_@
I've been making so many polls lately, lol

@M_C: by updates I mean new setups that you haven't think of at the moment of publishing or damage from spells you haven't tested yet

^ Ah yes, if there are new infos that are worth mentioning, then I will upload them.
Note on the 'worth mentioning' part. Considering what Sylph said, about damage being the most important thing in the game, any setup that does not allow Sophia to do half of Cliff / Maria's destruction in a given time need to be debated before I post it up. I want put priority on focus to what she does best first, which is backline battle support.
---
#19xSylpheedPosted 10/4/2012 8:45:47 PM
I think the only time it's worth using a "damage" set up for Sophia (if you absolutely want to use her) is in random battles. Explosion is most certainly capable of good enough damage in those, and it can contribute to team safety.

Otherwise Thunder Flare is nearly always the only reason to give her a spot on the team over another character. But there are plenty of ways to play her and do well, even if she's worse than other characters. I don't have enough experience with her skills to contribute much, because I never experiment with her extensively. She has a boring skillset, and most of her skills all do the same thing.

Laser Beams, Deep Freeze, Stone Rain, Thunder Flare and Explosion are the main skills to look at for her. The first four only exist for chip damage and preventing multiple enemies from doing anything too dangerous. Explosion deals decent damage and does what the rest of the skills do to boot. This is really what she is best at, because Cliff can't beat her at it like he does single target stunlocking.

They're all useful in different situations, but the newest one learned usually replaces the last for the group stunlockers. Stone Rain and Explosion hit very wide areas, Deep Freeze has a nice status effect, Laser Beams is non-elemental and Thunder Flare is the fastest and best stunlocker of the four. Laser Beams also has the added benefit of being an extremely fast cancel. Just pair it with something slow like Explosion to take advantage of it, and so you don't end up ending the combo on Laser Beams; it has awful recovery time.

Her best damage option is most likely her regular attacks with a physical set up.
#20Namida_no_namiPosted 10/5/2012 6:16:34 AM
I'd like to experiment with Thunderstrike, too, run some DPS tests and the like when I have the time...
---
'official' Computer Science Engineering student of the DDFF board; currently working on a SO3 sticky and FE stadistic data
PSN: Ike_Ocean