This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4D guide

#1LucytenshiPosted 11/22/2012 5:22:46 AM
I could just be blind but I swear there used to be a 4D guide on this game, gave some advice for clearing the game on 4D but I can't see it at all :(

Some quick questions

What characters are good to use in a 4D run, what important tips would you give to make things easier (like running back to buy those powerful weapon upgrades early on)

and since i haven't played the game in many years, what missables are there, I would hate to miss something important :(

Thanks
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#2XRhinehartXPosted 11/22/2012 7:20:50 PM
Most characters can be pretty useful in 4D mode, but I do have some protips for ya. Get map completion as often as possible, especially early in the game. As soon as you can afford the Holy Sword, take it back to the Airyglyph Aqueducts and farm the skeleton enemies there, but control Nel and use symbology so you don't get your bonus gauge broken (they will if you get hit). The skeletons drop Regeneration Symbols. Equip two on each of the three characters you're using for the rest of the game and you never have to worry about MP consumption for the rest of the main game.
#3Mad_CartoonistPosted 11/22/2012 7:53:33 PM
Well, I'll be making a 4D walkthrough tips in a nutshell.
This is assuming you are not masochistic enough to try a 4D No IC runs and those stuffs.

1) First. Get friendly with the 'No Movement Glitch' (NMG from now) and Manual Targeting. On 4D, when you are the only character left, enemies stop attacking as long as you keep your controlled character moving. Manual Targeting allows you to focus on the opponent you want to go after first. This is important since sometimes it is better to take out the more dangerous enemies ASAP.
Use this to your advantage because you WILL need it around early in the game.
Oh yes, enemies parry your attack like hell. Get used to that.

2) After the first save point, you will face 3 battles that could make you throw your controller at the TV.
Just ignore Sophia for any battle cuz she WILL die. For the first battle, use Fayt and get familiar with NMG. Get the enemies separated and Long Major them from behind.
The second and third SHOULD be slightly easier. Get familiar with Peppy's counters and use them to your advantage. Enemies can't parry when they are attacking (most of the time anyway).

3) Map Pesotto Forest and sell the bunny. But don't go crazy with berries shopping yet. Buy only 5 of each and 3 fresh sage for emergencies. You will pick up many berries in Coffir.

4) Grind a little, but COMPLETELY STAY AWAY FROM THE MUSHROOMS. Unless you are feeling confident, but I wouldn't recommend it. Level Fayt up to lv4. He will get Blade of Fury and Aerial, and now you'll be able to cancel combo.
If you can keep the bonus gauge going, save it for Norton Lackey battles and kill all of them. With some luck, you should be able to get to lv6.

5) Norton shouldn't be too hard. Cancel Combo him to death. Stock up your inventory and continue the game until you get to Elicoor.

6) Now, the inquisitor battle will be tricky. Cliff and Nel will be your bait. While they are alive, try to take out one of the armored soldiers. Once Cliff and Nel die, abuse NMG and spread the enemies farther apart. Take them out one by one. Don't feel like this is cheating, since there's really not much you can do here.

7) Giant Crab shouldn't be too hard. If all else fails you can always have Nel fire bolt from afar. Tedious, but it works.
Grind and abuse the free healing point if you need.

8) Map Traum Mts. Ignore ALL the battles.

9) Defeat Earth Golem the same way you do to Giant Crab. He shouldn't be much of a trouble.

10) Once you get to Bequerel Mts, map it and travel all the way to the Barr Mts (SAVE YOUR GAME BEFORE THIS). Your goal is the 18100 Fol chest deep within the first waterfall cave (where there is a feral dragon outside). Grab that chest then RUN FOR IT.

11) At this point, you should have 30k fol if you've been careful with your resources. You should also have collect a huge amount of craps.
Sell Worm Eaten Tomes, Aquaberries, Jewel of Alertness, and any Cooking Ingredients you've collected. This might give you meager amount of fund, but a couple of extra fols for berries is never a bad idea for new 4D mode players.
Go back to Airyglyph and buy Holy Sword. Level Cliff up to 10 and spam Hammer of Might. By now, Fayt should also be able to cancel combo Blade of Fury -> Charge, which does slightly more damage and has more reliable hit box.
This should take good care of a good part of the game until you can get to Peterny and get access to Item Creation.

12) Be patient. After this ordeal, you have more options open for you, and it should no longer seem impossible.
I'll continue after you can get to this point.
---
President of the [SEEF] Club | Members: 25
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Viola] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACV] Updated Every Saturday
#4Mad_CartoonistPosted 11/22/2012 7:57:14 PM
Oh by the way, up until this point, you should spend SPs on ATK status skill of the characters you will leave on AI. It is better to have them perform better in battle than to have marginal HP and still get killed in a hit.
You can give the SPs to HP and MP of the characters you are controlling though. Just be sure to not leave them on AI.

Also, know which enemies you should avoid and which to fight. Some enemies like the Storm Brigades aren't worth fighting. They are cheap and WILL break your bonus battle gauge.
Fight the Dire Wolfs if you need to grind.
Oh yes, don't forget to map Kirlsa and Aire Hills.

With this amount of resource management, you should have a much easier time.
All that is left is to use some patience and skill.

Good luck.
---
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Viola] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACV] Updated Every Saturday
#5Lucytenshi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 6:03:11 AM
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
Good luck.

All great advice thanks for the help I'll be re reading this as I play through :)

But it's honestly so weird, I have completed this game like 10 times and 9 of those times I used walkthroughs here, I DISTINCTLY remember there being a Brief 4D walkthrough giving very similar advice to what you just gave but it's VANISHED so weird,.. I even checked the other Star Ocean 3's on Gamefaqs and it's not on them either.
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#6Mad_CartoonistPosted 11/23/2012 6:51:40 AM
I remember that 4D walkthrough too.
Maybe it's already removed.

The generally accepted setups for this game changed quite a lot as time passed.
Back when i just came here, it was a general belief that no one tops Maria. But now it became a general consensus that Cliff is right up there with Maria.

And then there's the infamous AI Training FAQs, lol.
---
#7LadysoalluringPosted 11/23/2012 8:33:59 AM
Indeed. Was that the 4D FAQ that had stuff like 1/5* stars for Adray/Sophia/Peppita/Roger (I think) originally then changed Peppy to 3/5 stars later with stuffs like Maria at 3/5 with Nel and Mirage higher than Maria/Cliff? xD

Best 4D guide in my books -

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5DCC6D5E2515B8F2

Wolfwood's stuff is excellent ;D
---
Official "Vanille" of the Dissidia Duodecim boards
#8Mad_CartoonistPosted 11/23/2012 9:17:42 AM
Ladysoalluring posted...
ndeed. Was that the 4D FAQ that had stuff like 1/5* stars for Adray/Sophia/Peppita/Roger (I think) originally then changed Peppy to 3/5 stars later with stuffs like Maria at 3/5 with Nel and Mirage higher than Maria/Cliff? xD

LOL
Outdated indeed.

And Sophia at 1/5? The author definitely judge a character based on the amount of survivability >_>
She might not have the power output Maria and Cliff does, but she offers the safety no one else could offer. Out of 5, I'd say she deserves a 3 or above.
---
#9Sun XiaoPosted 11/28/2012 9:04:18 PM
Mad_Cartoonist posted...
Ladysoalluring posted...
ndeed. Was that the 4D FAQ that had stuff like 1/5* stars for Adray/Sophia/Peppita/Roger (I think) originally then changed Peppy to 3/5 stars later with stuffs like Maria at 3/5 with Nel and Mirage higher than Maria/Cliff? xD

LOL
Outdated indeed.

And Sophia at 1/5? The author definitely judge a character based on the amount of survivability >_>
She might not have the power output Maria and Cliff does, but she offers the safety no one else could offer. Out of 5, I'd say she deserves a 3 or above.

No, he hates symbologists that's why he gave Sophia and Adray 1/5 while Nel is only character that got 5/5.

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/553/553752p1.html
---
I, Garyus, will drain your fetid blood, drop by drop ! -Garyus-Dragon Force
#10Mad_CartoonistPosted 11/29/2012 12:51:19 AM
Sun Xiao posted...
No, he hates symbologists that's why he gave Sophia and Adray 1/5 while Nel is only character that got 5/5.

I see, lol.
Well, they did indeed do crap damage, and unless you actually put the effort to build them up, you are better off using other characters.

That doesn't mean they are crap or not worth using on harder modes though.
---
President of the [SEEF] Club | Members: 26