This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let's kill Luther with fireworks

#1pendellPosted 12/4/2012 5:33:08 PM
So, I'm getting ready to go for the 'defeat luther at level 1' trophy.

This implies I will need a level 1 character with 9999 ATK.

To do this, I plan to synth an orichalcum to a laser weapon and refine it 5 times. This should give me 3600 ATK. Couple that with a refined ring of might (3x ATK, 3x Fury) this should get me up to the maximum ATK.

That leaves two slots on the weapon. I'm minded to put fireworks on the weapon.

What fireworks would you recommend? According to the Boss FAQ, luther has 1/2 damage elemental resistance. So if I synth on star splash and a cape of the kraken, that will give me a

"raise normal attack decision by 2" factor

and a
"shoots powerful balls of light" factor.

Throw in the Gemity Arena victory trophy, and I can make Sophia's major attack something to be feared. It already hits for 2-3 hits. The raise normal attack decision factor should boost that to 4-5 hits at ATK 9999 plus the chance of hitting him with balls of light as well.

Is this optimal? Or should I go for another firework factor ? Or, heavens, should I synth on a second "raise normal attack decision" factor, boosting that 2-3 hits up to 6-7 hits per throw at 9999 ATK?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
#2QuasherPosted 12/4/2012 9:02:38 PM
I don't know what's optimal, but I do know that the "raise normal attack decision" thing caps at three extra hits, and that beating Luther at Level 1 is not a task so daunting that pondering stuff beyond maxing Attack and a tri-Emblem or Victory Trophy (if on-hand) will make much of a difference. (this is not meant to be read in a condescending tone)
---
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
#3Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/4/2012 11:02:44 PM
Just max out Attack with either an Imposing Scroll refined to fill out a Laser Weapon, or with your Ring of Might setup. However you do it, bring a handful of stun bombs, and time it so that the item cooldown runs out just after Sophia's Short Major is finished dealing damage. Throw another Lv1 character far away from Sophia and Luther, and the fight is pretty hard to lose.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#4CorpseCorpPosted 12/5/2012 2:24:15 AM
Star splash gives powerful balls of light? i tough it was only the celestial faery that was able to do it. And for your set uo I guess Its pretty cool! With that you can make the fight really fast! Only thing to have in mind is Would you really spend a shoots powerful balls of light? Those kind of factors are pretty hard to come by. If you decide to do so, sinth that factor first, so you can re use it. By the way I only did a max ATK sohpia and on universe I got all the BT about Luther in one shot, so it really ISNT necessary.
#5pendell(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 5:22:13 AM
"(this is not meant to be read in a condescending tone)"

No problem. I didn't take it that way. But I still want to experiment a little.

So -- *although it isn't strictly necessary*, I still want to do it anyway, purely to do something different.

It sounds like normally sophia's short major hits for 2-3 hits. Adding 1 "raise normal attack decision by 2" factor will increase it to 4-6 hits. The fireworks are simply extra icing on the cake.

So far as I know, the following things give you some kind of "balls of light when attacking"
-- Star Splash
-- Rune Blade
-- Celestial homunculus (made in item creation)
-- Celestial pixie (found)

I will only use the first two, because I personally don't like the idea of synthing living creatures into weapons. I realize it's just a game, and even in-game they're just programs, and even so the homonculi are probably 'soul-less' automata and not living creatures, but I still don't like it. So I don't do it. Personal preference.

At any rate -- ATK 9999 should polish luther off in a hurry even without the extra factors. But I'm still going to do it. I've got 288 battle trophies and have been playing for two years and sometimes I've got to experiment just to keep things fresh.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
#6Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/5/2012 10:45:05 AM
pendell posted...
I will only use the first two, because I personally don't like the idea of synthing living creatures into weapons. I realize it's just a game, and even in-game they're just programs, and even so the homonculi are probably 'soul-less' automata and not living creatures, but I still don't like it. So I don't do it. Personal preference.

This is actually something I've greatly pondered in my last couple of playthroughs, particularly the notion of them being bound to an inanimate object. Existentially, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

And my Just Max Atk comment was more of an assumption that you were unsure it would be enough. If you want pretty lights blowing things up everywhere, go for it. I'm doing it myself with Sophia, and it's a blast. Might I suggest you go for a bit less than 9999atk? Even on 4D, the fight is over before you know it if you use Stun Bombs, to the point that you might not even see more than a factor or two. If you're doing it "legitimately" you might need all the attack you can get so as to brute force Luther before he manages to sweep your Lv1 team. However you decide to set it up, you should be fine.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#7pendell(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 12:02:04 PM
Thinking about it ... given this is my first try at a low-level assault on luther, I think the overwhelming point is to kill him as quickly as possible.

After all, I've never fought end game bosses with level 1 characters before.

So the more damage I do, the shorter the fight is. The shorter the fight is, the less chance I'll make a mistake and have "Wallow in despair!" kill my entire party.

So to have as short a fight as possible, I need to max the damage.

But .. once at 9999 ATK, there's only one way to maximize your attack, and that is to have more attacks. Hence "raise normal attack decision". The fireworks are simply awesomesauce on the cake.

The point, in other words, is to make this fight as brutally unfair and short as possible. I've already spotted Luther some 40+ levels, after all.

*Grins evilly*

Your thoughts intrigue me, though. Maybe on a future playthrough I'll wait until I've completed sphere 211 in the post game, give Peppita the dream hammer tome, then see how well stun bomb + dream hammer invincibility frame + 9999ATK work on luther ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.
#8Ecclesiastes273Posted 12/5/2012 1:33:00 PM
Whene I did this trophy on 4D, it took me maybe 12 Stun Bombs, around 9300atk, and absolutely no other damage factors. You'll be killing him pretty quickly regardless of what you put on Sophia.

Dream Hammer is hilarious. Get it to Lv10 for extra freakish damage.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#9pendell(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 9:10:50 PM
Well, I did what I said. 6 +500 on laser weapon and 'raise normal atk decision by 2' and balls of light from star splash.

First form died in one hit. I could be wrong, but it looked as if the raise normal attack decision fired off extra hits *for every hit of the staff*, not just for the attack. I believe I saw about 6-7 hits for 20000+ hp apiece. Then the balls of light hit (how is their damage calculated). Luther first form died.

Second form was a bit more tricky. It took about 6-7 stun bombs and attacks. he parried many of my attacks despite my attempt to hit him from behind -- timing isn't quite down. I also messed up and he got an attack of on Sophia. She was saved by fury. He then turned to attack fayt. I didn't bother healing her, figuring I didn't have time. Sophia ran up behind him, used a duck duck bomb, and threw the laser weapon into his back. That did it! Defeated Luther at level 1 -- trophy 290.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
#10Mad_CartoonistPosted 12/7/2012 9:22:27 PM
Congrats. XD
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal Fan Club (27)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Viola] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACV] Updated Every Saturday