This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Orichalcum: How to get it, how to use it. What is it good for? *SPOILERS*

#1culture_denPosted 2/15/2013 12:59:12 PM(edited)
I just came back from infiltrating Sphere's headquarters, and now I'm at Acquious to get that scared orb. Party of Fayt/Cliff/Maria. On a side note I can't believe I won't be able to recruit Nel. Having both Albel and Peppita locked her out... can't believe I got Albel instead of her dammit all. Ah well. I'm pretty disappointed though I liked her so much, she has a great character design and voice actress.

Anyway, I don't know how to use item creation but I don't really want to know, I just want to know what's so special about orichalcum, and how I can use it to super overpower my characters. All 3 currently have laser weapons. It was an item drop, pretty lucky I'd say.

So what do I do? And please don't hesitate to tell me the most gamebreaking information possible.

All I know for sure is that I've already recruited Mackwell and Misty from a previous occasion. But I don't have Ansala. I don't know if the combo team is supposed to be Mackwell/Misty/Maria or Mackwell/Misty/Ansala.

A video would help because try as I might reading all the text just confuses me, at the very least a step by step baby process for me to read while I perform the actions in the game would help.

EDIT: Lastly, I've heard of an accessory or item that increases exp gain? Ring of Erudition something? I'd like to know more about that as well. I might not make it to level 255, but I'd like to be close.
---
When life gives you melons, you make melonade.
#2Mad_CartoonistPosted 2/15/2013 6:38:00 PM
culture_den posted...
I just came back from infiltrating Sphere's headquarters, and now I'm at Acquious to get that scared orb. Party of Fayt/Cliff/Maria. On a side note I can't believe I won't be able to recruit Nel. Having both Albel and Peppita locked her out... can't believe I got Albel instead of her dammit all. Ah well. I'm pretty disappointed though I liked her so much, she has a great character design and voice actress.

^ Well on the bright side, if you like being overpowered, Peppita can definitely help you with that :D

culture_den posted...
A video would help because try as I might reading all the text just confuses me, at the very least a step by step baby process for me to read while I perform the actions in the game would help.

^ ...um...well, I'm just gonna throw this out here anyway.
Basically,
1) you form a team of three inventors
2) select the 'type' of items you want to create
3) choose between Original Creation and Specify Plan.

Original Creation allows you to create new items without using up anything but your money.
Specify Plan let you 'refine' your item to get better effects. Specify Plans used up those 'material' items you've been collecting for the whole game.

Once you are done choosing, press [] to start the creation process. That's really it. The wall of text I posted in the other topic was the more detailed info of how Item Creation success rate works.

culture_den posted...
I just want to know what's so special about orichalcum, and how I can use it to super overpower my characters.

^ Orichalcum gives ATK+500 to the weapon it is synthesized on. Synthing 2 or 3 of those gives you +1000 ATK, which is more than enough to destroy anything in main game.

culture_den posted...
All I know for sure is that I've already recruited Mackwell and Misty from a previous occasion. But I don't have Ansala. I don't know if the combo team is supposed to be Mackwell/Misty/Maria or Mackwell/Misty/Ansala.

Ansala is a little harder to recruit and if you are not interested in how IC works, then that's okay, you don't need him for the orihalcum.
Form a team of Misty, Mackwell, and Sophia (she has higher talent level than Maria, so that's higher success rate) and keep choosing the Original Creation until the 'Price' box show values around 5000 to 6000 range. Press [] when it does and wait until the inventors make happy faces then stop the process to get your orichalcum.

culture_den posted...
EDIT: Lastly, I've heard of an accessory or item that increases exp gain? Ring of Erudition something? I'd like to know more about that as well. I might not make it to level 255, but I'd like to be close.

^ You need Balbados to create Ring of Erudition. You need the Antique Jewel from the Hauler ride in Kirlsa Cavern to recruit him. He is in the Mosel Dunes.

Ring of Erudition gives +10% EXP, 20% when refined via item creation. You can stack 5 of them onto a weapon for +100% EXP.

You don't really need to get to that level range. In fact, anything above 80 in main game is super overleveled.
If you feel more comfortable with leveling anyway, I suggest fighting Enforcer in Palmira Plains. Each of them drops base 5000 EXP, 15k when triple EXP, and 30k on a character if you solo. He is weak against wind, so you know what to do with Albel's Air Slash.
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal Fan Club (28)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Auria] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACA] Updated Every Saturday
#3culture_den(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 1:05:01 PM
Okay what about refining and waiting before refining? I want all 3 characters (Fayt/Cliff/Maria) to have an orichalcum with +4000 damage, how do I do that one I already have got the item?

I care more about the +500 attribute than the "survive on 50% fury" attribute so I don't mind seeing it gone in favor of more +500.

Will I need to make many orichalcum or is it once I have just one I'm set for life?
---
#4Ultima_LordPosted 2/22/2013 2:02:28 PM
That's completely unnecessary; you'd be just wasting money and materials at that point. You really only need 1 character with 3 or 4 +500 attack factors on their weapon to be OP enough for the rest of the main game.

So just synthesize an Orichalcum onto the weapon of whoever you like to play as the most. Also, use Specify Plan to duplicate the factors on the weapon instead of synthesizing more Orichalcum onto it, that way you'll only need one, and there's a "limited" number of Synthesis Materials which you'll want to save mostly for post-game; that's where the super overpowered weapons and skills become available.
---
Kanji: But that chick...she is pretty amazing.
Yu: Which chick? Oh right, funbags. - P4 Animation
#5culture_den(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 3:06:48 PM
I don't understand. Can I or can I not have my 3 characters with orichalcum to the max attribute factor +500 add-ons? Whatever number that may be (8?)
---
#6Ultima_LordPosted 2/22/2013 3:12:02 PM
If that's what you really wanna do, you can. I'm just saying that takes a lot more materials which can be better spent later on.
---
Kanji: But that chick...she is pretty amazing.
Yu: Which chick? Oh right, funbags. - P4 Animation
#7culture_den(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 3:26:23 PM
Materials how? In what way? Just explain the process to me step by step, I'm planning on playing the game tomorrow since it's a weekend, and it's been a hectic week since I played so I might be a bit rusty on what to do exactly, like if I needed a specific workshop or specific item or such.

I don't mind the overkill, in fact it's what I'm aiming for. It's just fun that way for me.
---
#8alt_realityPosted 2/22/2013 9:28:23 PM(edited)
culture_den posted...
Materials how? In what way? Just explain the process to me step by step, I'm planning on playing the game tomorrow since it's a weekend, and it's been a hectic week since I played so I might be a bit rusty on what to do exactly, like if I needed a specific workshop or specific item or such.

I don't mind the overkill, in fact it's what I'm aiming for. It's just fun that way for me.

So I only skimmed the first post and read the last post but maybe I can help.

Oh, I wrote all this and missed the tiniest thing in your post. Every workshop is the same (aside from the ones in dungeons which only your party can use) so long as you unlock the specific discipline. You will need some Alchemy Materials for this but you should've gotten enough just from playing the game.

You first need to make an Orichalcum. If you have Laser Weapons, you have access to Sophia so Mackwell/Misty Lear/Sophia is your optimal team if you don't have Ansala. (If you want to getAnsala, which you should, he's awesome, you need a Philosopher's Stone to recruit him which requires Eliza or Peppita in your team.)

Use crashedweb.com/so3 to find out the range you need for this and every other Item Creation. It's veeeery user-friendly; I despise crafting in RPGs and this was so simple once I found this. Plug in your Item Creation type, your creators, and the item you're looking for. If it isn't on the list, then that group can't make it and you need someone else. If I remember right though, it'll be somewhere around 5000 fol. Keep pressing Original Creation over and over until you get a number in that range, then create the item.

Once you're in to the creating screen where the bar moves along, wait for happy faces from your creators and each time you get one of those, an Orichalcum is made. You'll only need three at most for now.

Once you make an Orichalcum, go back to creating but this time choose Specify Plan. Choose the Orichalcum and fire it up again. Each time you get a happy face from your group, they'll either add another ATK+500 or Survive on Fury 50% of the time. Each time you initiate this, you'll use up one Alchemy Materials from your inventory so bring enough to do this or wait until postgame when you can purchase them.

Once you max out your Orichalcum (you can put up to 8 factors on it, ideally you get 7 or 8 ATK+500 and a Survive on Fury 50% of the time... maybe 6 ATK+500, 1 Survive on Fury 50% of the time, and eventually a Raging Anger but not until you can make a Berserker Pendant) you will need to switch your Item Creation discipline to Synthesis, choose three of your own party members (it doesn't matter who since synthesis always succeeds, Maria, Sophia, and Mirage are the best for cost but Fayt works too until you get Mirage and after you get Ansala since you'll want to use him and Sophia together for Alchemy to make money while you're doing Synthesis) and Specify Plan. First pick you weapon and then pick the Orichalcum you want to synthesize onto it. Note that Synthesis Materials are limited as mentioned before so you'll want to be careful about using them wisely. Making three stupid broken Orichalcum weapons for the main game though is fine. That or two stupid broken Orichalcum weapons and one EXP +100%, freezing, paralyzing, confusing weapon like I have.

This being said, there are much better items you can make the later you wait. Hell, you can probably make better things now if you hunt around for the right inventors (namely 6% MP Regeneration and Raging Anger; I think that's all I used for the man game).
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#9alt_realityPosted 2/22/2013 9:25:54 PM(edited)

Omfg I love Albel and Peppy together. Nel suuuuucks anyway unless you want to play her full time or mostly full time and she's a one trick pony; it's Whirlwind or GTFO. Eventually, Albel can rock Hand of Doom--->Vampiric Flash around level 40 I think? and at a mere level 15, Peppita can break the game with Power Dance (this is why I didn't use Orichalcum; you can hit 9999 attack pretty quick in the main game with this skill). This is in addition to several other playstyles that other people have adopted (i.e. juggling/stunlocking Albel, counter Peppita).

Get Ansala. Period. Well... if you want to do postgame anyway. You will want to make money later and Ansala is the easiest way to do it since you can make an infinite number of expensive items and then sell them for double what you paid to make them for a net gain of 200,000 each time while you're making other items.

This game is eight years old so I don't know if that exists but I hope my explanation was clear enough...

Lastly, I've heard of an accessory or item that increases exp gain? Ring of Erudition something? I'd like to know more about that as well. I might not make it to level 255, but I'd like to be close.

I forget what it's called but Peppita can make it so you can make it now. You make it with Crafting and you can refine it from EXP +10% to EXP +20% in the same manner that you add +500 Attacks to Orichalcum like I explained earlier. Original Invention to make the item, get a number in the range per crashedweb.com/so3 and then Specify Plan to enhance it (this will either increase the numerical value of something or duplicate the factor, the Item Creation FAQs here are a lot more in depth on what factors turn into what other factors).

Trust and believe, it is not as hard as it seems. Again, this is coming from someone who absolutely abhors item creation in every single game.
---
"We running out of time!" Sigurd, Typogears
#10pendellPosted 2/23/2013 7:03:10 AM
Orichalcum use in 3 easy steps:
1) Acquire Orichalcum.
2) Transfer orichalcum to a weapon.
3) Refine / improve weapon.

In detail:
1) Orichalcum must be either invented or purchased.
Purchasing requires that Misty Lear randomly invent it, at which point you can purchase exactly one in a shop.
Inventing requires recruiting misty lear and some other top-notch alchemists. It costs somewhere in the range 5000-5500. Ansala, Sophia, Mackwell are all good supporting alchemists.
To do this, walk into any workshop and "expand facilities" to add alchemy to this workshop. Select your inventors to work on the line, select alchemy, select original creation. Repeatedly select original creation until you have something in the range about 5000-5500 (consult item calculator or faq for more exact range). .Attempt invention. The higher the talent level, the more likely you will succeed. If the inventors smile, stop the invention process because you've successfully invented an item. Patent it so you can buy 1 more in a shop.

2) Transfer orichalcum factors to a weapon.
Add "synthesis" to workshop facilities. Select 3 inventors with the synthesis talent. recommend maria , sophia and mirage because synthesis never fails and these characters decrease the cost of a very expensive operation. Select a weapon to transfer the factors to. Now select orichalcum. Execute the operation. The orichalcum will disappear and the weapon will now have one ATK+500 and one "survive on fury 50%" factor.

There are about 50 synthesis items in main game, so use them sparingly. If you get close to having 20 in inventory, use some up because some synthesis materials are item drops which will disappear if you already have the max in inventory.

3) Refine the weapon.
Go back to the invention screen. Invention has TWO options: "Original creation" (which you used to make orichalcum) and "specify plan".
Refining uses "specify plan".
Refining does not create a new thing. Instead, it modifies the factors on an existing thing. It will either 1) Duplicate the factor 2) remove the factor 3) change the factor.

The ATK+500 can factor can be duplicated with item refining. So if you're willing to spend the time and money you can, from one orichalcum, have a weapon with 7 +500 ATK factors (for a total of +3500, not including the inherent strength of the weapon) and 1 survive on fury factor. To do this you will need to use the smithery for anyone but Maria, and the Engineering for maria.

Each use of refining requires the approrpriate materials: Smithery requires smith materials and engineering requires machinery materials. These can be found in chests in the main game and can also be item drops from certain monsters.

Thus a single laser weapon can be made into ATK +4100 (7 +500 factors + the inherent 600) with 1 synthesis material and about 4 smithery materials (sometimes factors duplicate more than once in a single operation).

It is possible to invent or buy other things and synthesize other effects onto a weapon, but that's another topic for another time :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.