This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's up with the exp??

#1godslayer88Posted 8/14/2013 2:48:42 PM
I just reached Krisla, and I need like 170 exp to level, but all the fights I'm getting are usually quite damaging to my 2 teammates Cliff and Nel and I only get just 1 exp per monster. Recovery items at this point are expensive and heal little. I can fight over a hundred battles like this without levelling up once this way. I initially went the wrong way towards Alygra or something and ran into some guards there, they were equally hard as the monsters that yield only 1 exp except they yield a whopping 45exp per guard. Is it that badly balanced or what's the big idea?
---
Arguing on GameFaqs is like the para-olympics; even if you win, you're still an idiot.
#2Mad_CartoonistPosted 8/14/2013 3:16:55 PM
Because lvs in this game doesn't matter much. At your current situation, there are a number of ways to work around it.

1) map the field areas. Mapping these places give you an item that you can sell for 9000 fol.
2) work on cancel combos. Activate a minor battle skill, and while it is animating, press and hold major attack. The game was created without cancel combos in mind, so your dmg output will sky rocketed after a while.
3) if things are going bad for you, remember to switch around your equipments and skills before resorting to leve l grinding, which isnt that rewarding in this game.
4) if you really insist on grinding, persevere for a bit and wait until you have access to the bequerel mts (after kirlsa caverns). That place gives much better exp.
5) get Cliff to level 10, then you can break the entirety of disc1 with Hammer of Might.

Good luck! Come back if you need more help :D
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub (31)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Sophia] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACS2] Update Every Saturday
#3M_InfernumPosted 8/14/2013 3:44:50 PM
In addition to M_C's advice above^, I'd also like to say the following:
1) You may have better luck controlling Nel instead of Fayt. Fayt and Cliff on AI will usually do a good job of keeping the enemies occupied without too much hassle, especially early on. Also, Nel's Long-O attack is awesome early on, it's pretty much a homing cannonball. Abuse it.

2) Fight in the Kirlsa Caverns for a little while as well. Using Nel's Long-O, you should be able to dispatch the spider enemies without too much hassle, just back up to long range after each hit. With the Triple EXP bonus from the bonus battle gauge, you'll get about 42-63 EXP per fight. After you get a bit stronger, you can try fighting the skeletons in the Southeastern part of the Kirlsa Caverns as well, getting around 60-90 EXP per fight with the Triple EXP bonus.

3) Both of the above groups of enemies have a good drop. Jewel of Refuge, and Jewel of Alertness. Both of these sell for 602 fol. You can rack up some pretty decent money. You could even backtrack to Airyglyph and but Nel's Osprey Dagger or Fayt's Holy Sword(although you can find one later) if you feel like you need a damage boost.

Good luck! I personally started doing this on my playthroughs, and it usually sets me up for a while. You may develop other similar methods eventually based on your personal preference, I'm sure we all have them.
---
My artwork: http://m-infernum.deviantart.com/
#4godslayer88(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 11:13:12 PM
Oh wow, I didn't expect responses this quick, thought this board died out! Many thanks you two! I just didn't know what was going on haha. Airyglyph sold that holy sword and stuff for like 23000 Fol and I was like o_0 I get maybe 10 Fol per battle, perhaps when I reach disc 2 I can buy them I thought.
---
Arguing on GameFaqs is like the para-olympics; even if you win, you're still an idiot.
#5zhaoyun99Posted 8/15/2013 12:19:41 AM
godslayer88 posted...
Oh wow, I didn't expect responses this quick, thought this board died out! Many thanks you two! I just didn't know what was going on haha. Airyglyph sold that holy sword and stuff for like 23000 Fol and I was like o_0 I get maybe 10 Fol per battle, perhaps when I reach disc 2 I can buy them I thought.

There is a trick to it by selling the bunny (require mapping) and with the Nobleman enemies.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#6Mad_CartoonistPosted 8/15/2013 2:02:52 AM
This is my all time favorite game, so this place is gonna have a reg for a while xD

You can get Holy Sword as soon as you get to Traum Mts outside of Airyglyph.
You'll have to map the area in the previous planet before hand (pesotto forest for 9000 fol) and then map the Traum Mts for another 9000. You'll have 18000 fol by doing this.
After this, it's a short saving before you can get enough money for Holy Sword (or heck, maybe you should already be able to afford it. I forgot the exact cost of the sword).

Also, a small note, don't spend all money on healing items. You'll get some while traveling the dungeon, so you should stock up only until you have 10/20 of each berries.
Feel free to stock basils, sages, lavenders, and fresh sages though. There's not many chests that have these in them.
---
Prez of the Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub (31)
Read [Zodiac Angels - Chapter Sophia] @ [http://tinyurl.com/mcib-ZACS2] Update Every Saturday
#7M_InfernumPosted 8/15/2013 2:17:19 AM
Oh, also... you may want to pick up some Regeneration Symbols as well. The skeletons in the Airyglyph Aqueducts drop them. They are definitely worth backtracking for. Pick up 2 for each character, and leave them equipped for most of the game. They each give 3% MP regeneration in battle. Which may not seem like a lot, but if you only use MP for healing, you'll almost never run out. You'll probably only have to use healing items if you're in a pinch in a battle.

I always take the time to get these now, they're an absolute life saver.
---
My artwork: http://m-infernum.deviantart.com/
#8HaileyCatPosted 8/15/2013 5:51:32 AM
get to lv 15 or 20 even, then if you feel brave head up into the Barr mtns. dodge the dragon groups and repeat fight the porcupine groups for a while. your BBG should start at like 150, and with a full gauge, a group of 3 porkys will net you 960 exp and 4740 fol.
this is the best place early on to go fol farming. just hold Nel back from combat so she can cast healing on Fayt and Cliff, maybe running in to use Shadow Wave on the porkys. First Aid and No Guard set for Fayt and Cliff and Increase MP Damage if the have it, the porkys have alot of HP, but like alot of enemies in this game they can be MP killed pretty easily.
#9HaileyCatPosted 8/15/2013 5:54:08 AM
Oh, and the porcupines will drop Wind Chimes, each will sell for 1560 fol.
sorry to 2X post, I can't seem to edit.
#10XRhinehartXPosted 8/16/2013 11:49:50 PM(edited)
The Star Ocean 3 board will never die.

But anyhow, this is skipping ahead a bit, but the best way to get more EXP is to refine five Rings of Erudition (Recruit Balbados when you get the Ring of Disintegration) and synthesize them to a weapon with no factors on it.

Preferably on someone who's going to sit in the back and attack from a distance using ranged attacks or symbology...probably Maria's Microblaster or Pulse Needle (if you're willing to do some engineering) because Maria's the only ranged character you'll have your first time on Styx.

When you get to Moonbase, synthesize the gun to the Laser Weapon you should find there (don't leave until you have it) and wait for it to synth all (or the first five if you synthed anything else to it) factors. Anyone can equip Laser Weapons, so you can throw it onto whoever you want at that point.

Edit: Oh yeah, the point of this is that each refined Ring of Erudition is +20% EXP acquisition and five of them will stack to 100% (it won't go any higher), so you'll have permenant double EXP. When you get a bonus chain going with the triple EXP bonus, it'll be a total of x6 EXP.