This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A future Skies of Arcadia 'Let's Play'

#1Willben20Posted 10/4/2013 7:41:32 AM
I'm planning on doing some broadcast playthrough's of some of my favorite games. And this game is at the top of my list when I can acquire a new setup where I can broadcast any console game I want. I have a Dazzle capture card and had a setup where I could play the game and record the video and audio, but recently, the audio part crapped out on me, so I want to invest in a good quality setup that will last me a good while.

Anyway, I'm getting off subject. When I do regain the ability to broadcast console games, would anyone here be interested in watching it? My goal is to have a setup where I can record my voice and the games audio simultaneously (which I couldn't do before)

To get a feel for my play style and voice to see if you can tolerate it, I'm doing a Might and Magic VI playthrough right now (on weekends). You can catch it on www.twitch.tv/willben20 as well as other videos (Was doing a Breath of Fire III broadcast when I discovered the audio failed)
---
Apologies, but when Claptrap speaks I can hear my brain cells committing suicide one by one.
-Sir Hammerlock
#2WightKnigjhtPosted 10/17/2013 12:07:40 AM
Sorry To Disappoint you but its already been done.But if you still want to do it go right ahead and have fun. My advice though is not to do a Narrative of the game. Narratives are one of the big problems of Playthroughs and that is why most generally don't watch them unless they have the sound turned off which takes away from the experience of the game. I for one love the game and will watch your playthrough of the game and any others of yours that interest me so good luck and have fun doing it.
---
What do you call a person who spends more time playing Videogames both offline and online than with his friends and family? the answer is alone. Dont be him
#3Willben20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 7:47:21 AM
WightKnigjht posted...
Sorry To Disappoint you but its already been done. But if you still want to do it go right ahead and have fun.

I kind of figured someone else had done it going in. I don't really care what others have done, I'm doing it for myself because I want to. But thanks for the heads up =)

WightKnigjht posted...
My advice though is not to do a Narrative of the game. Narratives are one of the big problems of Playthroughs and that is why most generally don't watch them unless they have the sound turned off which takes away from the experience of the game.

This on the other hand, I'll take into consideration. At this stage, I'm unable to broadcast console games due to lack of a reliable capture device. I've priced a device that will cost me just over $130 that'll be able to do what I want. But I have other things that take priority (such as Collage) so it'll probably be a while before I can do that.

To me, it feels a little plain just the game sound in one of these things. I understand it's a tricky juggling act to get the game sound and narration sound on equal ground. So I'll keep doing my MM6 Narritive playthrough and see if anyone comments/complains about the voiceover and go from there.

If I do choose to not do a voiceover for this playthrough (as well as others) or not, I AM going to do a voiceover for my full party, four player D&D Heroes playthrough (All 4 players having a mic) and any similar projects.
---
Apologies, but when Claptrap speaks I can hear my brain cells committing suicide one by one.
-Sir Hammerlock
#4VilurumPosted 10/18/2013 8:35:07 AM
Commentated video LPs are fine, so long as you make it a point to keep the talk to when there's nothing terribly interesting going on (e.g. running around, random battles) or when there's something particularly worthy of commentary (e.g. boss strategies, finicky discoveries). Cutscenes tend to be a particularly bad time to talk (let the game speak for itself!), as does talking just to fill the awkward void of silence. It's kind of a balancing act.

If your videos have long enough stretches of less-interesting stuff that you'd feel obligated to talk to fill the void, that's generally a sign that you should do some editing (either cut or speed up the content).

Co-commentated video LPs are much better in that regard since you can kill time by having a conversation with another human being rather than trying to talk to yourself. Get your recording, edit it appropriately, grab a buddy on skype and both watch it at the same time as you record your conversation. Cut out the parts of the recording that overlap with cutscenes and overlay the rest (with good audio balancing) over the rest.

Alternatively, live co-commentary where you and your buddy both shut up for cutscenes.

Above all else, do not under any circumstances read out the characters' lines for them.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#5MonadAlvisPosted 10/27/2013 3:01:31 PM
Vilurum posted...
Above all else, do not under any circumstances read out the characters' lines for them.

If you take anything from Villy's post, take this. I am so sick of this. It's slower than me reading it myself, it's boring, it lacks creativity, and it's monotonous.
---
The only reason people have to replace a broken Nintendo product is because they can't make discs out of Nintendium.