New NFS Hot Purusit game...

#41Off_da_borderPosted 6/19/2010 3:55:57 AM
Honestly speaking, that Veyron cop car must be one of the stupidest, most ludicrous ideas I've ever seen implemented in a video game. How MAD must you be as a police head of department to delegate such a rough, gritty job to the motoring embodiment of a seven-figure receipt and a plethora of potential mile-long repair bills?

Before someone tries to pick me apart, I am NOT rejecting the concept of a cop exotic at all. It's always been in NFS' blood, and sure, if I were in said HOD's place and crims are rich enough to roam in supercharged exotics I would tip my force with the same kind of poison. But wouldn't it be more economical and efficient to buy, say, three Murcs SV? Or seven Corvette ZR1s? They would most certainly stop the offenders much more effectively than one Veyron ever would. And it won't hit the government's savings box as violently.

It's not a big deal, they've never gone for logic nor realism with the old school series anyway (carpet bomber helis in HP2 get a guest mention here) and I'm willing to go as far as they want to with my imagination, but they could at least try to be vaguely believable...

---
This is, quite honestly, the biggest load of limp-wristed twaddle I've ever heard in all my five weeks in television - James May
#42RedHawk4Posted 6/19/2010 10:01:43 AM
I don't think they're trying to be vaguely believable, I think they're trying to let players live out their driving fantasies whether it be as a cop or racer. To do that they needed to give the police the same level of perks and vehicles as the racers, otherwise the pull to play as a cop would be lessened for many people.

For instance, they said that physics won't be spot-on realistic for all the cars in the game, because that would simply make them much harder to drive. They said that in all of our heads, we're probably excellent drivers and would control those cars perfectly, but in real life it wouldn't be the case. So rather than have players flooring it around a corner and being frustrated when they spin out, they're making things much more arcade-ish to let players, essentially, drive how they wish they could in reality. Same goes for the car selection...as a cop, you would normally only wish that you had a Veyron to chase down speeders in. In this game, you get it.

And as you mentioned before, the old school NFS games were never much for realism anyway. In NFS3, a Diplomat could catch up to and overtake my Jaguar XJR-15. In HP2, helicopters were pulling in front of me and dropping spike strips/explosive barrels down on the road and into traffic. So, in my opinion, a Veyron cop car is one of the lesser "far-fetched" ideas of the series.
#43Off_da_borderPosted 6/19/2010 11:40:35 AM
Well obviously Redhawk, I KNOW they're not trying to be vaguely believable, hence why I said they should.

The arcade physics were always a prominent part of the series, they aren't new and I'm not surprised they're going for an arcadey setup. What is new is the cop VEYRON (ie: million dollar ultra-exclusive car), which is waaay too cheesy even by NFS standards. I see what you mean though, to offer variety to the cop players, although I doubt a pathetic selection of cars would've been enough of a turn-off for those who wanted to play as the police.

Of course this is all pointless nitpicking. It doesn't draw from the fact this looks like an 11/10 game so far.

---
This is, quite honestly, the biggest load of limp-wristed twaddle I've ever heard in all my five weeks in television - James May
#44Renegade_ZeroPosted 6/19/2010 1:14:58 PM
Man you guys haven't changed at all.

---
"Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are, Death awaits you."
#45MunKy321Posted 6/19/2010 3:00:22 PM
The PC versions of the original Hot Pursuit and High Stakes had the El Nino as a cop car! THE EL NINO! Was that thing ever even released outside of a 13 year old's notebook doodle drawing? And was a pursuit Murcielago in Hot Pursuit 2 THAT much more realistic? What about the pursuit Diablo in the previous NFS's?

And Renengaged, what the heck is THAT supposed to mean? Do you honestly believe you could just barge in here, engaged and all, without saying hi to me, responding to one of the 50 things we talked about in the 45 posts this topic's gotten, no invitation to your wedding, no invitation to the bachelor party, no invitation to the pre bachelor party party, no invitation to the after party and most importantly, NO FREE NUCLEAR REACTOR? I mean, you could've at least been modest enough to give us samples, but NOOOOOO!!! You're too cool now! You're in Malaysia and are probably wearing a ring over one of you nuclear reactor handling fingers! All I we get is a single "you guys are still the same" line out of you? Well I say BULL*(&^% to that, sir! You can keep your radiation to yourself!

---
Your eyes just had to land here, didn't they? Well, I suppose you're seeking something curious here, right? Something entertaining? Well... is this enough?
#46Off_da_borderPosted 6/19/2010 3:46:02 PM
The PC versions of the original Hot Pursuit and High Stakes had the El Nino as a cop car! THE EL NINO! Was that thing ever even released outside of a 13 year old's notebook doodle drawing? And was a pursuit Murcielago in Hot Pursuit 2 THAT much more realistic? What about the pursuit Diablo in the previous NFS's?

The El Nino was a bonus car so let's put that aside for a moment. The Murc/Diablo's price tags/status were nowhere near the Veyron, even when compared to their respective generations. Like I said, the Murc (and other exotics) as cop cars are ridiculous but gulpable if the crims in the area are running around in their own speed rockets... but a Veyron? Why would the police feel the need to spend an extra $800,000 over a Murc or a Diablo or a Vette for an extra dozen miles an hour on the intense side of the speedo that they won't ever use anyway, when they could just invest the money in two more Murcs or Diablos and triple their efficiency for the same suitcase of cash?

---
#47RedHawk4Posted 6/19/2010 3:59:26 PM
You do have a point ODB, and I give you that. It's just that I never even thought of it myself, lol. I don't expect everything in a Hot Pursuit game to be realistic, and I know that you don't either. But as I said, and you agreed with, they were trying to offer the cops as many perks and advantages as the racers, and the opportunity to live out their own driving "fantasies", for lack of a better word. I'm more concerned about the game's "powerups" than whether or not the police force has a Veyron in the fleet. Cloak? Decoy? Sounds a bit cheesy to me, but whatever. As long as the core racing and chasing aspect of the game is intact, I could learn to like the powerups.

And to address Zero's comment...we've changed a bit. :P I can guarantee you that we won't get into an argument over this, for one...
#48krazykubanoPosted 6/19/2010 5:09:33 PM

I don't think it's cheesy at all by Need for Speed's standards. I've always wanted to be able to convert exotics into police cars. Plus, the Italian police use their pursuit Gallardo all the time.

Err...I mean...

#49RedHawk4Posted 6/19/2010 7:13:34 PM
That second picture is cringe-worthy...lol. Anyway, ODB's entire point centered on the fact that the Veyron costs a heck of a lot more than Murcs or Gallardos do, and he was pointing out that any logical police force should rather purchase a few of those cars as opposed to one Veyron. Correct, ODB?
#50Off_da_borderPosted 6/20/2010 1:16:05 AM
^Exactly.

The power ups did kind of worry me, especially that overdrive you get as a racer. Have you seen the thing in action? It was in the GS hands-on film I believe. Anyway, it zaps you into hyperspace speeds that even the extra-powerful cop ultra-nitrous (the same nitrous which I had labelled ludicrous the first time I saw it in the E3 reveal, oh the irony) couldn't dream of keeping up with. I mean yes, it's called the Need for Speed, but if I wanted to cruise the landscape at Mach 3 I would've played Ace Combat.

Again, I'm being incredibly nitpicky, but there really isn't much to discuss anyway. So here's hoping they don't overcook it.

...But the police EMP, that was a great idea. Stupid, but definitely easier to suspend the logic for. And it should prove interesting when dodging the law.

---