Bring the Old Days Back!

#81RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2010 4:05:59 PM
First of all, I won't give a lengthy overview of the demo here because I already covered it in my latest blog here at Gamespot...read it over if you want my opinion. But I do want to address several things that ODB mentioned...

Number one is that you don't HAVE to make a racer crash by depleting his damage bar in order to get a bust. At one point, a racer was stopped cold by a roadblock that I had called in, and I ended up smashing into a spot about 3 feet away from him, and proceded to box him in and wait to see what happened. After about 5 seconds or so (it seemed a bit too long), I busted him. So it's not completely necessary to make him crash, but it's obviously the most efficient means to bust.

Secondly, spikes do indeed bust a racer immediately when they hit them. Not sure where you got the idea that they do otherwise, but every time I've successfully hit with a spike strip, I get the slow-mo of the racer wiping out and I'm told that he's busted.

Those issues aside, I agree that the 370Z handles a bit too tight, and I preferred to use the Crown Vic. I also agree that Autolog has been shoved down our throats a bit too much, especially with the whole "you must have a friend on your PSN to play this whole demo!" ordeal, but I like the system in general and haven't had problems when I tried to post speedwall updates or anything.

It also should be noted that it appears as if custom soundtracks can be used in the full game, based on what I see in the options menu of the demo. Anyone up for Rear Flutterblast, Snow Bags, and the rest of the NFS3 tunes in the new HP?
#82RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2010 4:07:01 PM
*Bump*

Gamespot's glitching, won't let me see my last post...
#83RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2010 4:07:35 PM
Never mind, it fixed there.
#84Off_da_borderPosted 10/28/2010 2:41:20 AM
Secondly, spikes do indeed bust a racer immediately when they hit them. Not sure where you got the idea that they do otherwise, but every time I've successfully hit with a spike strip, I get the slow-mo of the racer wiping out and I'm told that he's busted.

You do get the slow-mo telling you you scored a hit with your spike strip and 200 points, but they respawn and join the chase shortly after. Try it again and focus on the cars this time, you'll find the stinged culprit rocketing past you until you take him out.

Unless you wreck the racers (...or immobilize them for 5 seconds, haven't tried that), there's no way you could bust them. You have to wreck them.

Anyone up for Rear Flutterblast, Snow Bags, and the rest of the NFS3 tunes in the new HP?

Definitely. Flimsy and a dusky atmosphere for me here please.

---
This is, quite honestly, the biggest load of limp-wristed twaddle I've ever heard in all my five weeks in television - James May
#85RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2010 9:54:41 AM
You know, I think you're right. I remember being confused for a bit about why I sometimes scored 200 and sometimes 500 after hitting a spike. So...I agree with you; why the heck do spikes not result in an instant bust every time? That's a bit bogus.

Yes, immobilizing them for about 5 seconds does the trick as well, but it's just not practical. If you ever manage to pin their car in for 5 seconds anyway and bust them, the other racers will be way, way ahead on the track. It's just not worth trying, and it's a far better option to simply empty their damage bars.

Ah, Flimsy, I forgot about that. One of my favorites, particularly the part that plays after you pass through the first tunnel and are driving through the area with the neon signs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlmadn-pIuk - 3:18 and 4:15).
#86RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2010 9:46:21 AM
So...nobody here with a PS3?
#87RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2010 9:43:52 AM
New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_saaXB9IR7o
#88Off_da_borderPosted 11/6/2010 12:41:42 PM
Haha, I know that's a stretch, but that trailer kind of reminded me of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6syl9d9oa4

On a side note, what are your times on the demo Redhawk? I got 1.16 on the pursuit event and 3.27 on the race I think.

---
This is, quite honestly, the biggest load of limp-wristed twaddle I've ever heard in all my five weeks in television - James May
#89RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2010 10:38:20 AM
Heh, yes, those vids were actually slightly similar. But you want to know the irony of the new trailer? From what I've read (and been frustratingly unable to confirm as a fact), the music played in it is from Underground 2. Anywho, my times are as follows:

Dark Horse: 1:07:14
Roadsters Reborn: 3:31:32

Shoot, you beat me in the race, eh?
#90RedHawk4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2010 11:12:43 PM
First official video review is in from Gametrailers.com, and the game gets a 9/10.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-need-for/707315?type=flv