Why does sneaking work only 40% of the time? Even on Normal difficulty.

#1Mech_BattalionPosted 2/10/2013 7:05:29 AM
Sometimes I can touch people and they won't be alerted but most of the time they turn around when I am still 5-6 feet away.

Also on most levels the music cuts out and makes it impossible to finish a level with SA ratings. On Tubeway Torpedo this happens a lot. The music cuts out and audio gets messed up before getting into the first basement level and then the pager/phone trick does not work. The general never hears the beeping so you have to shoot him through the glass.
#2baueris24Posted 2/16/2013 11:13:52 AM
Sometimes I can touch people and they won't be alerted but most of the time they turn around when I am still 5-6 feet away.

Also on most levels the music cuts out and makes it impossible to finish a level with SA ratings. On Tubeway Torpedo this happens a lot. The music cuts out and audio gets messed up before getting into the first basement level and then the pager/phone trick does not work. The general never hears the beeping so you have to shoot him through the glass.

Are you sure that you are definitely in sneak mode? There's 2 sneak modes: one if you tap the button and he kind of crouches and moves slowly. You want to use this one most of the time. The other sneak mode is where you hold the button in and he crouches even more and moves the slowest. Only use this mode if you have to hide behind objects to avoid being seen.

Where are you when you drop the pager? You have to be at the northern door to the room that he's in: not in the observation room.
#3RARuskPosted 2/16/2013 1:05:28 PM
Where are you when you drop the pager? You have to be at the northern door to the room that he's in: not in the observation room.

He's correct. There are two doors into his room. To use the Pager you have to drop it on the floor about a foot and a half from the north door then stand just to the left of it and use the Phone. After using the Phone then bring out a Knife. The beeping from the Pager will attract the General to this door and will open it. Because of where you are standing you will keep the door from opening all the way.

There is a common glitch called the 45-Degree Door Trick that will allow you to use the door as a shield as you swing your Knife through it and kill him. Then pick up the Combat Knife the General dropped (for your weapons collection) and rescue Agent Smith.
---
"it's the gamefaqs train! ROLLING IN A CIRCLE, MISSING THE POINT. choo chooo!!!!!" - Planet_Terror
#4Mech_Battalion(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 10:26:34 AM
You can actually use the pager near either door, I even used it in the observation room on a third play through of the level (it just need to be placed near the glass).

I did find out what the problem was though. The game was actually glitched. The music cutting out also cancelled out a lot of the noises. So when I used the phone, the pager would beep once and not work.

I had to rambo through the level, beat it and then go back from mission select to properly beat it. Just resetting the level in the pause menu made no difference.

Also, the sneaking thing, I have been holding the button. Are you more quiet when you just tap the button? Why would you make more noise if you hold the button?
#5baueris24Posted 2/20/2013 11:18:42 AM
You can actually use the pager near either door, I even used it in the observation room on a third play through of the level (it just need to be placed near the glass).

I did find out what the problem was though. The game was actually glitched. The music cutting out also cancelled out a lot of the noises. So when I used the phone, the pager would beep once and not work.

I had to rambo through the level, beat it and then go back from mission select to properly beat it. Just resetting the level in the pause menu made no difference.

Also, the sneaking thing, I have been holding the button. Are you more quiet when you just tap the button? Why would you make more noise if you hold the button?

Oh I thought you could only use it near the northern door. My mistake.

As for sneaking, you don't make more noise by holding the button, but you move extremely slow. If you tap it, make sure he get's into sneak position. Sometimes it's a little finicky so make sure he slightly crouches. When you hold the button in, he crouches all the way down and moves even slower. The only reason to really use this is if you have to duck low behind an object to avoid being seen. Don't get me wrong, the regular sneak speed is painfully slow but crouching all the way is even slower. Sometimes even with the regular sneak speed it's hard to catch up with your target... usually you have to hide behind an object and wait for them to walk by to catch them. In some cases you can do a quick run up to them but this is very risky and sometimes doesn't work.