Is a non-rifle run in OL plausable?

#1flclempirePosted 9/15/2008 12:38:41 AM
I'm going through OL for the first time and ever since I've gotten the godly fast-shooting-ak74 I've been able to kill anything in 1-2 bullets from almost any distance. Needless to say it makes the fights boring because I don't get to experience the game's ai since I pick them off before they retaliate. I'm thinking of starting a new game were I can only use pistols, machine guns that fit in the pistol slot, and shotguns/shotgun-like rifles. Are those long barrel shotguns able to kill things at a distance? Has anyone here tried this?
#2sgtsmg2Posted 9/15/2008 6:36:10 AM
What difficulty are you on? It doesnt sound like that good and idea because smg's and pistols are quite weak on this game when you get to fighting people in good suits later in the game youll have to get constant headshots. Also you wont be fighting at a high range throughout the game so you will need the stopping power of a rifle otherwise the enemy will pump youll full of lead.
If you have Arsenal for OL however you might be able to do it because there are better smg's in the arsenal weapon pack i think.
---
Not changing sig until StarCraft is made into a movie... sig added... Many moons ago lol
#3flclempire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2008 12:37:37 PM
I play on Hell difficulty. I don't want the overpowered weapons of arsenal :( I was thinking I could pull of using a shotgun and a long range sniper for counter sniping. I'd use grenades to cover my advance so I could get close enough to kill with the shotty. Everything is just so easy with a rifle... The ai doesnt even react at long range distances, they just pop in and out of the same cover until they die.
#4sgtsmg2Posted 9/15/2008 2:05:00 PM
Using the grenades might work because they do respond to a grenade landing near them if your having to get close to the enemy to kill them you might get swamped. You could try only using the iron sights on rifles to force you closer to the action. The mp5 is the only smg in OL without arsenal isnt it? aswell the shotgun isnt a fantastic weapon at range even with the slug and dart rounds i tend to use it primarily for hunting mutants.
---
Not changing sig until StarCraft is made into a movie... sig added... Many moons ago lol
#5sgtsmg2Posted 9/15/2008 2:06:11 PM
by the way does hell difficulty make you and your enemies do more damage with guns?
---
#6Zealot_warriorPosted 9/15/2008 2:19:26 PM
Only makes the enemy do more damage on Hell. One foolish mistake will get you killed.
#7instigata4Posted 9/15/2008 3:44:32 PM
well, i think not using rifles is a bit extreme, you could try going through using only early game rifles, aku or something like that... and yes shotguns will kill at a distance if you use slugs or darts lol, give that a try :P
---
When your moon is baked and your mermaids cry would you ever believe you were stuck in the sky?
System of a Down, the greatest band ever
#8fox master xxPosted 9/15/2008 3:55:09 PM
Overpowered? Have you PLAYED arsenal? Everyone gets the same guns you do.
---
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.- Malcolm X
#9flclempire(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2008 4:17:18 PM

fox master xx posted...
Overpowered? Have you PLAYED arsenal? Everyone gets the same guns you do.
---
Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.- Malcolm X

Just going by what I've heard/read about arsenal. And there are multiple smgs in OL 2.2 Lots of them fit in your pistol slot. I can remember 3 off the top of my head, but I don't recall their names other than the "viper". I've been messing around and the slug shots really pack a punch vs armored enemies o.0 They are useless on mutants though. It quite a bit more interesting than "see enemy, instantly kill enemy with rifle", imo.

#10LazyyAmericanPosted 9/17/2008 1:22:34 PM
Weapons period are overpowered for this game...because the AI when at any sort of range..is absolutely worthless. Up close they can **** you up though but I agree at a range..it's just dead boring and pure murder since they're helpless against you.
---
Let's skip the formalities please and get straight to you dying!