The STALKER games and Windows 7?

#1ghstbstrPosted 7/15/2010 5:53:43 AM
So will Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit play all 3 STALKERS without any issues, or is one better than the other?
I am just wondering which version of Windows 7 I should get as I want to play these three games with the least amount of issues as possible.
#2metacriticalPosted 7/15/2010 6:47:41 AM
if you have 4GB of RAM (and who doesn't these days) then get the 64bit version. 32bit has a 4GB RAM limit so you will not be able to use all of your 4GB without a 64bit OS, since it also takes into consideration your graphics card and other smaller items that use memory. unless you don't have 4GB of RAM and you have no intention of upgrading in the near future then get the 32bit version, since the 64bit version does use slightly more RAM for the same tasks. most games except those that run in DOS (ie those before the late 90s) should run on vista/win 7 without any issues whatsoever.
#3vick1000Posted 7/15/2010 3:57:25 PM
Actually, get which ever version is cheaper if for some reason there is a difference, and Microshaft will ship you the other version for free if you want it (at least they used to). When you purchase the product, it's a license for both 32 and 64 bit versions.
---
Bob Page: "I will burn like the brightest star..."
J.C. Denton: "You're gonna burn alright."
#4bradleypariahPosted 7/15/2010 4:08:46 PM
I can verify that.
My first time through with CoS, I was on Windows 32-bit.
I recently re-formatted my hard drive and upgraded to 64-bit, and I just the other day started CoS all over again.

My old 32-bit version of my computer said I only had 3GB of RAM even though I have 4GB.
The new install of 64-bit can see all 4GB (and more if/when I upgrade).

There is a HUGE difference between how games run on 64-bit vs 32-bit.

For one, anti-aliasing used to just KILL my CPU and RAM.
I used to have to run CoS in 1360x768 with anti-aliasing turned off.
I now run CoS in 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing turned all the way up.

For both installs I have/had visual distance all the way down, V-Sync on, 60Hz, Shadows at max, quality at max, textures at max. I play around with Lighting. Right now I have it at Full Dynamic, even though I love how DX10 looks. My screen would get choppy every time I was near a camp fire.

I run the game locally (Steam download) on an ATI 3870 1GB graphics card installed on an all-Intel interior, 1333 FSB, 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 4GB DDR2 RAM.

Oh! P.S. - another technicality, on 32-bit, I play CoS standard. Now, on 64-bit, I'm playing CoS patched to "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete 2009".
However, this patch cannot account for all the other higher success I've gotten from other games.
I played Tomb Raider: Underworld before & after the upgrade as well. The ant-aliasing and screen resolutions were higher with 64-bit as well.
#5ghstbstr(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2010 5:03:43 PM

bradleypariah posted...
I can verify that.
My first time through with CoS, I was on Windows 32-bit.
I recently re-formatted my hard drive and upgraded to 64-bit, and I just the other day started CoS all over again.

My old 32-bit version of my computer said I only had 3GB of RAM even though I have 4GB.
The new install of 64-bit can see all 4GB (and more if/when I upgrade).

There is a HUGE difference between how games run on 64-bit vs 32-bit.

For one, anti-aliasing used to just KILL my CPU and RAM.
I used to have to run CoS in 1360x768 with anti-aliasing turned off.
I now run CoS in 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing turned all the way up.

For both installs I have/had visual distance all the way down, V-Sync on, 60Hz, Shadows at max, quality at max, textures at max. I play around with Lighting. Right now I have it at Full Dynamic, even though I love how DX10 looks. My screen would get choppy every time I was near a camp fire.

I run the game locally (Steam download) on an ATI 3870 1GB graphics card installed on an all-Intel interior, 1333 FSB, 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 4GB DDR2 RAM.

Oh! P.S. - another technicality, on 32-bit, I play CoS standard. Now, on 64-bit, I'm playing CoS patched to "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete 2009".
However, this patch cannot account for all the other higher success I've gotten from other games.
I played Tomb Raider: Underworld before & after the upgrade as well. The ant-aliasing and screen resolutions were higher with 64-bit as well.

Thanks alot, now that was a great answer for SSoC which is what I think that you meant. So SSoC works with Win7 64-bit, but what about SCS and SCoP?

#6SushiSquidPosted 7/15/2010 5:27:14 PM
You've already gotten confirmation, but I'll add another voice and say that Shadow of Chernobyl runs perfectly in Windows 7 64-bit for me.
#7chupachupPosted 7/21/2010 8:11:51 PM
i have all 3 games running on my win7 64bit system and they all run fine. The only problem ive had so far is with call of pripyat, engine 1.6 seems to crash when you first move from zanton to jupitor.
#8plorpyPosted 7/21/2010 10:03:04 PM
Same for me. I've never had any issues running S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC on any of my Vista, or 7 pcs 64bit or otherwise.
---
"Johnny Cash? What kind of rap is that?" - Chris