This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was there any reason given as to why Shadow's dog is named "Interceptor?"

#1ND_2009Posted 2/12/2010 10:28:11 PM
Just seemed like a random name to me. I don't really see it intercepting anything, so why would he name his dog that?
---
"no but if anything chris redfield would look like nathan drake because uncharted was made first, so therefore you fail epicly" - Suchapayne
#2waferbreadPosted 2/12/2010 10:44:20 PM
Interceptor intercepts attacks for Shadow.

*woof woof woof woof* *crunch* *woof woof woof woof*
---
[Trolling] includes [...] using another users quote in your signature without permission. ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/tou.html
#3waferbreadPosted 2/12/2010 10:45:15 PM
In battle, of course. You've never seen the attacks "Takedown" or "Wild Fang"?
---
[Trolling] includes [...] using another users quote in your signature without permission. ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/tou.html
#4ND_2009(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2010 10:46:37 PM
Never.
---
"no but if anything chris redfield would look like nathan drake because uncharted was made first, so therefore you fail epicly" - Suchapayne
#5CutterDeBlancPosted 2/12/2010 11:34:11 PM
It's a badass name for a ninja's dog. Does he need another reason?

I guess what they said above.

---
No habla espaņol.
#6ZiodynePosted 2/13/2010 6:32:18 AM
Yeah, in battle, he A: Acts as Shadow's shield, and B: Occasionally counterattacks for Shadow. Beyond that, it was just a name.
#7MeepleLardiclePosted 2/13/2010 6:47:23 AM
*Random spoilers to FF games*

Usual Devs just assigning names appropriate for the character's role, be it story, gameplay, etc.

Locke was obviously named in the same logic. Locke is phonetically identical to "Lock" (I think in the Japanese, they actually officially spell his name "Lock"), which has an obvious association to Locke's profession, both plot and gameplay wise. The fact that "Cole" is a Locksmith company just adds to the pun further.

Heck, taking an example outside of FF6...

Tidus and Yuna were named that way for the whole "Opposites attract" thing, and they do indeed have somewhat opposite personalities (Tidus is all upbeat, energetic, gungho, rather loud, what have you, while Yuna is more calm, relaxed, and soft spoken.) Their names? "Tidus" I believe was actually "Tida" if translated literally from the Japanese, which I believe means "Sun" (or at least, is associated with the Sun), and "Yuna" means Night by the same logic. The game takes this a step further by making their crests/sigils Sun and Moon respectively. Well, ok, in the japanese, I believe the Crests/Sigils were named after the days of the week...but given the days of the week in many languages are named after Mythological figures, and "Sunday" and "Monday" are named that way for a reason...

Or in the case of Squall. His name has 2 purposes. "Leonhart", his surname, should be obvious; Squall is obsessed with Lions, so they gave him a name that just plays off this fact.
The other half, his first name?
Squall = A storm at sea or whatever. Doesn't mean much for his personality...
But his parents names?
"Laguna" and "Raine"...look a lot like "Lagoon" and "Rain." These 3 names all fit together in the sense that a Rain at a Lagoon is a Squall (I heard someone else say it.)

And heck, FF8 even has the Pet example too in Angelo. Angelo = Angel, guess what a consistent symbol used for Rinoa throughout the game is (or at least, something that can be logically associated with it)

In the end? Devs name things just cause they can, and its easier to name things based off random roles rather than come up with something out of the blue. Names being puns or referencing their roles (in usual "WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS NOT SYMBOLIC?!" stance), or just following a trend, is done all the time, cause it makes it easier on the devs. For more examples, look at Dragon Ball Z and try to find a case where a name isn't either a Pun *OR* following some sort of consistent naming scheme.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#8CutterDeBlancPosted 2/14/2010 5:17:47 AM
I figured Shadow respected the dog more as a tool than a friend. Interceptor is used to intercept. Keeps the dog more distant to you in case it dies or something. Seems like Shadow to do something like that, cut off his feelings and all.

---
No habla espaņol.
#9MeepleLardiclePosted 2/14/2010 6:59:59 AM
Kind of messes with the continuity a bit...

Shadow knew Interceptor for at least a few years before he became Shadow. In fact, Interceptor wasn't originally his, it was his wife/lovers/whatever relationship he had with the girl of Thamasa that was obviously taken to an intimate level at least.

Shadow first met INterceptor in Thamasa, after all, when he first arrived, and naturally this is before Relm was born. When Shadow left Thamasa, he was still Clyde, and Interceptor followed. By this point, Relm was already several years old (old enough that she was not only able to talk, but recognize her father *AND* comprehend that he was gone, so she'd probably be about 4 years old at least. She has the same sprite in the flashback as she always does, but I'm willing to accept that as more a convenience thing than anything else, to keep her recognizable and save space)...

This would mean that Shadow would have named Interceptor many years AFTER meeting him. That's kind of weird don't you think?

Oh, and there's one other thing...
Interceptor is suppose to be the Shadow's only friend, so even then, him treating Interceptor as a tool kind of messes with that. Interceptor is the one person/thing Shadow would NOT undermine his relationship with. After all, he went out of his way to save Interceptor from a burning house (you could argue that it was actually his hidden feelings for Relm subconsciously driving him, but the game has him state "I just wanted my dog back." so at very least, it suggests that Shadow treats Interceptor as a genuine partner and isn't afraid to acknowledge that!)
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#10Chris McDohlPosted 2/14/2010 9:09:17 AM
^how does any of that explain him naming the dog until years later? His significant other could have named it Interceptor...
---
Currently playing: MW2, GoW Collection, Rock Band 2
PSN: RamSham XBLGT: Ram Sham