This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why should I use Gau?

#31Ecclesiastes273Posted 4/14/2012 3:47:48 PM
I found everything you dudes are talking about in relatively short order back when I was 8, without a guide or any outside help.

Even without that OP stuff, finding the best attack is horrendously easy(as in, the spell progression is literally 1-2-3 and the in-your-face Shields in Mt. Kolts have defensive boosts I'd consider good for a full setup, much less a single piece of gear I got from the first and only area suggested tp me once the rails are stripped from my feet), and the damage output gets way too high way too fast. The "obscure" overpowered stuff isn't needed to blow this game wide open.
---
Official Vet of the MHFU Message Board.
Official ETERNAL DESTROYER of the super mega ultimate DRAGON DESTROYERS(tm).
#32TriforceSDPosted 4/14/2012 5:13:46 PM
It's hard to say what secrets I would have found on my own and which ones I did not since I used NP from the very start. I remember it's tip about getting the Chain Saw too.

The way it works with me is that I can find the most obscure secrets while a more obvious secret might go unnoticed. It must be the methods I use based on my experience with other games...or the type of secrets.
---
The charred Gameboy that survived through it all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBeTXPaewMo
#33SuperSaiyanTienPosted 4/14/2012 5:14:44 PM
Walk into the obvious patch of trees duh. You sound as if all kids got no brains. Do you need a specific IQ to find Bum Rush?

Obvious? You have no reason to go north of Narshe. And if you're on the Airship then it's just a blur on the map.

Early game nothing beats Tools with the exception of Blitz.

Swrdtech even matches tools early game. Tools fall into mediocrity towards the end of WoB.

I found it when I was new. And it is not hidden, it is right out in the open in a chest containing a monster in a box. It is hidden when its on the ground and you have to press A on every square ground to get it.

Last I remember, it's in an obscure place.

You assume new players don't explore the game at all.

It's either RARELY stolen or RARELY won. Unless somebody is specifically farming for it, they probably could never see it. They would only know it's a drop/steal by using a guide.

Duncan's wife says he's alive and living north of Narshe.

Because after the South Figaro arc everyone goes back to talk to her? The only time you're in South Figaro in WoR is when you're doing the Edgar scenario. You're pretty much rushed out of the town and there's no incentive to explore because it looks roughly the same as in WoB. There's no reason to talk to her after the whole Sabin/Vargas Arc because it was said that Duncan was killed by Vargas.
---
2365 4944 5716(Pokemon White Pal Code)
4469 3684 6040 (Platinum Pal Code)
#34TriforceSDPosted 4/14/2012 5:23:17 PM
Things like Catscratch, Blaze, and Giga Volt will get you through a good portion of the game...at least until you get the powerful spells and level 3's.

That alone was enough to make me want to use Gau... The first two of these are easy to get.
---
The charred Gameboy that survived through it all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBeTXPaewMo
#35Peter_19Posted 4/14/2012 5:31:18 PM(edited)
Simply playing around with his Rages and discovering new attacks is one good reason to use Gau - noticing this and that sudden powerful attack, then remembering which Rage it was and falling in love with it.
I remember I felt all warm and fuzzy inside the first time I used Hazer in Serpent Trench, Gau was like "Bolt2!" on everything and I made sure to find out which Rage I had happened to choose at that point.
And he has other early-game Rages like this for example Fire2 spammage from Templar, Ice2 from SlamDancer, the super-powerful physical attack Catscratch from Stray Cat etc, and then later enemies will give you other very interesting attacks.
And so on.
He's simply a very well-rounded character who can do essentially anything, and he also has the best Stat growth potential.

The only problem with Gau is obviously that you can't control his Rages, but this shouldn't be too much of a big deal once you have become familiar with them and developed your own good strategies with them.
#36MalcolmMasherPosted 4/14/2012 6:13:43 PM
Obvious? You have no reason to go north of Narshe. And if you're on the Airship then it's just a blur on the map.

FF3us came with a map, and Duncan's House is one of the points listed on that map. I think it's reasonable to assume that most people would pay him a visit.
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#37CKK10355Posted 4/14/2012 6:29:44 PM

Is this even a serious question? Look at how many people have pointed clues to finding Duncan.

The game came with a map with both WoB and WoR on each side including areas with numbering on them.

Swrdtech even matches tools early game. Tools fall into mediocrity towards the end of WoB.

You are wrong on everything. Name one Sword Tech that can multi target or confuse entire groups of enemies early. Are you seriously saying Cyan is better than Edgar in the Narshe battle and onwards when there are new tools available?

NoiseBlaster is useful through out the entire game. Its simply an effective massive confuse spell.

Last I remember, it's in an obscure place.

The Offering is right out in the open. And getting to the Ancient Castle is not even a secret.

It's either RARELY stolen or RARELY won. Unless somebody is specifically farming for it, they probably could never see it. They would only know it's a drop/steal by using a guide.

I didn't and I got it as a drop.

there's no incentive to explore because it looks roughly the same as in WoB. There's no reason to talk to her after the whole Sabin/Vargas Arc because it was said that Duncan was killed by Vargas.

Of course there is incentive, golden rule of JRPG. If something new happends, talk to everyone see if they got something different to say.

Have you even play the game before? You sound like you know nothing.
#38SuperSaiyanTienPosted 4/14/2012 7:03:38 PM
FF3us came with a map, and Duncan's House is one of the points listed on that map. I think it's reasonable to assume that most people would pay him a visit.
Fair point.

Is this even a serious question? Look at how many people have pointed clues to finding Duncan.
Everyone except you. Which gives me strong doubts that YOU were able to find it as a young child.

The game came with a map with both WoB and WoR on each side including areas with numbering on them.

And you're assuming that everybody bought it new and not used, blockbuster, or rom version.

You are wrong on everything. Name one Sword Tech that can multi target or confuse entire groups of enemies early.

There aren't any. But you don't need to confuse an enemy when you can kill it easily.Swrdtech, at least early on, one shots most monsters.

Are you seriously saying Cyan is better than Edgar in the Narshe battle and onwards when there are new tools available?

Their use in the Narshe battle is roughly the same, with Edgar slightly on top. Edgar can one shot mobs with Bio Blaster if you give him a Hero Ring, IIRC. Cyan can reliably one shot things with Dispatch. After the Narshe battle, Edgar's use is about the same as Cyan, except Edgar is slightly more useful bringing to the factory. Otherwise Gau, Terra, Celes, and Sabin are all better choices.

The Offering is right out in the open. And getting to the Ancient Castle is not even a secret.

I swear you're smoking something, because from what I remember it's to the left (away from the entrance) so you can easily miss it.

And the Ancient Castle, I don't think you ever have to actually go there. IIRC, you don't need to use the castle outside of the one time you use it.

I didn't and I got it as a drop.

Congratulations. Try the lottery next.

Have you even play the game before? You sound like you know nothing.

Says the person who basically said Gau is useless >.>
---
2365 4944 5716(Pokemon White Pal Code)
4469 3684 6040 (Platinum Pal Code)
#39enigmatiqPosted 4/14/2012 7:19:34 PM
The Bum Rush inaccessibility argument was dead a while ago when someone noted that Duncan's wife says her husband is still alive. When someone else shoots the corpse of this argument by pointing out that the game comes with a map, it might not apply to those who did not get the map with the game or used the map to roll a joint which they smoked, but the fact that Duncan's wife is alive and should be re-spoken to remains, as per the Golden Rule of jRPGs.

So once again,

/argument
#40Lord Bob BreePosted 4/14/2012 7:19:51 PM

After the Narshe battle, Edgar's use is about the same as Cyan, except Edgar is slightly more useful bringing to the factory.

Edgar can reliably take out groups with Flash. Cyan can still only take out single enemies at best.
---
I fought SuperNiceDog, and SuperNiceDog won.
"I like goldfish." Godric