This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FFXI should adopt the new billing policies planned for FFXIV.

#1TaintedSeraphimPosted 4/22/2012 2:17:55 AM(edited)
Membership Tiers:

Entry
Price: $12.99
Billing Cycle: 30 days
Max Playable Characters per World: 1
Max Playable Characters Total: 8

Standard
Price: $14.99
Billing Cycle: 30 days
Max Playable Characters per World: 8
Max Playable Characters Total: 40

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html
---
League of Legends: Maphesdus
#2CorkadilePosted 4/22/2012 11:14:51 AM
And why the hell would they do that? Because changing the billing system has always worked so well for them in the past?
---
This guy is not what he pretends to be. He's the Devil.
#3TaintedSeraphim(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2012 12:11:17 PM
The only change they made previously that didn't work was getting rid of the option to pay with a card directly, which they've since changed and brought back. The billing policy that FFXI has in place now is actually much better than the original policy that we've had for most of FFXI's lifespan. This would simply be the next step in continued progression.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/27500_b8f8f77c0f3cdec5.png
#4bungiefanPosted 4/22/2012 1:39:03 PM
Well now if you subscribe to FFXIV for 90 days before they release 2.0, you get a lifetime discount on that account to $9.99 a month when 2.0 launches.
---
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.31.
#5vegetakenPosted 4/23/2012 4:25:24 AM
Terrible billing policy is kinda a trademark of FFXI.

Like not having moogles in selbina.
---
axe<great axe<greater axe<greatest axe. no need to thank me. ~_Emissary_
PSN: Sadboosh
#6MysteryMan923Posted 4/23/2012 9:51:58 AM
This idea is less terrible than most of TS' usual ideas (probably because he copied this idea from others), but still not good. One day you'll get there TS. One day.
---
You ain't gotta like me
You just mad cuz I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be
#7TaintedSeraphim(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 6:23:27 PM
And what makes it a terrible idea, exactly?
---
claustrumstudios.com
#8CorkadilePosted 4/23/2012 6:27:04 PM(edited)
Changing how many characters someone can have on a server, price hikes for some members, a significant change to pricing this late in the game's lifetime, changing the code to accommodate such a change, handling what happens to someone with to many characters on one server for their billing plan... What part of this isn't a bad idea?
---
#9TaintedSeraphim(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 9:08:23 PM(edited)
Except this doesn't involve any price hikes at all. Maybe you didn't read it closely, but the Entry level membership plan is the exact same price as having just one character under the current plan, except you would get 8 characters for that same price. Then the Standard plan allows you to have 40 characters for the same price that you could get three characters under the current system. I don't see how that could possibly be considered a price hike. If anything, it's a price reduction, and a pretty radical one at that.

And people could still only log into one character at a time, so being able to make additional characters isn't something you would need to worry about. It wouldn't create any problems as far as lag is concerned.

And SE just recently changed the billing a couple of months ago, so clearly they don't think it's too late into the game's lifespan to make changes. And if SE doesn't think it's too late to make radical changes, then neither should we. In fact, my policy has always been that it's never too late to make improvements.

Sure, they'd have to change a little bit of code around, but that's no big deal. That's why they have programmers working at their company. Besides, like I said, they already changed the code for the billing twice recently, so it shouldn't be too hard to do it a third time.

As for people who already have more than 8 characters per server, that's really the only legitimate point you brought up. Though it should be an easy fix. All they'd have to do is raise the number of characters allowed per server, or lift the limit completely (but keeping the total limit of 40 intact), and they'd be good to go.
---
claustrumstudios.com
#10CorkadilePosted 4/23/2012 9:27:15 PM
Per world. Meaning I can make 8 characters per server. If I have two characters on the same server, I just got a price hike. If I have 9 characters, I'm suddenly SOL.

They didn't change the billing. They changed how you pay the bill. There is a massive difference between these two things.

You're clearly not a programmer. What you're talking about is a big deal, and it's going to seriously effect a lot of people.

Again, they didn't change the code for the billing, and they didn't do it in a way that changes how the game handles it any.

Based on this last part, you're basically saying they should just lower the monthly rate. Less profit? Brilliant!
---