This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing problem

#1KinYatPosted 5/3/2012 7:39:12 PM
I have a old slim laptop that does not have a dvd drive. I use to have a external dvd drive. I install ffxi using the older version disc before. But every time when i need to update, it would take 1h 30min to check file. I have the newer version disc install on my new desktop, when it update it only take a while to check file.

So can i copy the whole dvd into a thumb drive and install it onto my laptop? have anyone try this before?
---
Use to be a Thief, switch to train as a Summoner next join the rank of Monk and finally pick up Black magic.
#2bungiefanPosted 5/3/2012 8:26:01 PM
Or you could just copy the whole updated version from your other machine to a flash drive and copy it over the base install. You could also just create an ISO file and use DaemonTools to not need the DVD to be physically attached to the computer.
---
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.31.
#3KinYat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 8:37:14 PM
Thanks, i go check out the ISO file and DaemonTools. Hope it easy to work it out.
---
Use to be a Thief, switch to train as a Summoner next join the rank of Monk and finally pick up Black magic.
#4bungiefanPosted 5/3/2012 10:24:16 PM
DaemonTools lets you mount an ISO file from your hard drive as if it was a disc in a DVD drive. You still need a way to make the ISO file from your own disc on the other computer.

Another option is a thread on BlueGartr that has all the update files that you can download faster than from SE, and then the only step is the file check.

Generally, I keep a backup of my FFXI install on an external hard drive, and then I copy it to any new computer after the installation disc is run, for me or my friends. It minimizes the update time.
---
http://bungiefan.tripod.com/psbbn_01.html
My PlayStation2 HDD guide. Made with a Japanese PS2 with a HDD and PSBBN 0.20-0.31.