This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Story mode chapter 4 on very hard, need help!

#1Cloaked_shadow7Posted 6/20/2012 12:38:10 PM
No how many different techniques I try on this, I still get my butt kicked. So I don't know what else to try.
#2Samp98518Posted 6/20/2012 1:53:17 PM
For Chapter 4, take out all the other cars before going after Michael Chain. He slows down drastically once you do so.
---
I'm a Frost Piranha Plant, an elite wizzerd, a dinosaur that can drive a car, a robot, a skeleton, a scientist, and Batman.
I'm also still in school.
#3LvthnPosted 6/20/2012 2:57:34 PM
There are a few techniques I've seen used and tried myself.

One is to just do it "perfect" straight up, using spin attacks and side attacks to work your way up fast.

Another one that I kinda like is to boost a lot at the start, timed just right, taking you to about the middle of the pack and forcing them to boost until they're all in the red and die with a single hit. Smash a bunch up to restore energy, boost more to take more out, and get them bunched up at the end to help smash them faster so you can get to Chain.

Only thing that mucks it up is if they hit you too many times with spin attacks.
#4highwatermarkPosted 6/20/2012 8:59:00 PM
Well, since a lot's been said already, let me offer a few more tips:

1. The rule of thumb in this chapter is to NEVER boost when your speed's under 1030 (And obviously play at max speed settings). This is a chapter where the track is super-long and everyone's completely rubberbanded to your position instead of going at their speed trying to win.

AKA If you get spin attacked and completely stop, just get back up to speed (1030) and start boosting+attacking again, they'll be in reach despite a 5-second head start. Time lost doesn't really matter on this map as long as you can keep attacking efficiently.

2. Use spin attacks wisely. I'm not sure what your attack style is, but boosting into a side/spin attack is really effective and increases its power somewhat. Always use that tactic to side attack Wild Boar (unless you can hit him when he's coming from behind, then do that too); don't spin him, it's not that strong and wastes time/speed.

3. As for the "boost all at once near the start so that the enemy AI uses up all their HP" strategy, that's a legitimate strategy but I would not use it for simply beating the mission (even now) for three reasons:
(1)You need to know how to MT in conjunction with that, otherwise you won't go far enough, the enemies won't boost all the way and if that's the case then it's pretty much equivalent to not doing it at all.
(2)It involves passing a few cars early on unavoidably, and if you don't kill all the enemies you'll have a much shorter distance to fight Wild Boar at the end (which makes it much harder). Either that or you'll have to wait for them to catch up, which wastes a lot of time.
(3)It ends up in you having only a tiny bit of HP after your boost streak, and you'll never really have much HP the whole race. That means if you don't catch up to anyone with a boost you're out of options, and on top of that if you take one good spin attack you'll be dead.

Just take the enemies by groups back to front until you get 15-20 kills or so before the middle heal strip, and use side attacks after that to kill the rest one by one. It's not a difficult mission if you use the right strategy, so with that in mind it shouldn't take you too long.
---
-Descend at your own discretion-
#5LvthnPosted 6/21/2012 3:42:39 PM
I've done the boost all at once thing...I kinda liked it myself.

I haven't tried this but wouldn't snaking it get the same effect without using up energy, assuming you're skilled enough at snaking?
#6DragonAtmaPosted 6/21/2012 3:56:52 PM
Perhaps, but you'd have the shame of knowing that you're a snaker.
---
Nagas on a plane! ^_^
#7AKFrostPosted 6/21/2012 6:19:18 PM
DragonAtma posted...
Perhaps, but you'd have the shame of knowing that you're a snaker.

The entire snaking ladder playerbase would like to have a word with you.

This mission is not trivial to snake, mostly because you have to kill chain in the end, and that becomes a lot harder on max acceleration. You also usually have -less- window to kill chain snaking than max speed, because you practically have to leave machines behind, meaning chain will not slow down until there's only 4000km left.

And it kills your hand.
---
Terrible weather at 12am.
#8LvthnPosted 6/21/2012 7:58:41 PM
I think I saw a demo video where someone snaked the whole thing, killing practically none of the other vehicles, chased Chain to the end, and killed just him. Nobody else could keep up but Chain rubberbanded until the final stretch.

Probably not a very helpful strategy but I found it amusing.

All credit to anyone who can snake and make it work on pretty much anything. I tried it out and managed to keep speeds of like 1600 km/h on really simple tracks but I can't do anything like that 2000 km/h or snaking on complex tracks business I've seen done.
#9AKFrostPosted 6/21/2012 7:59:52 PM
Lvthn posted...
I think I saw a demo video where someone snaked the whole thing, killing practically none of the other vehicles, chased Chain to the end, and killed just him. Nobody else could keep up but Chain rubberbanded until the final stretch.

Probably not a very helpful strategy but I found it amusing.

All credit to anyone who can snake and make it work on pretty much anything. I tried it out and managed to keep speeds of like 1600 km/h on really simple tracks but I can't do anything like that 2000 km/h or snaking on complex tracks business I've seen done.

1600 is more than enough. I've usually snaked this averaging around 1300-1400 at most.
---
Terrible weather at 12am.
#10highwatermarkPosted 6/21/2012 10:39:58 PM(edited)
AKFrost posted...
The entire snaking ladder playerbase would like to have a word with you.

The entire "snaking ladder playerbase" is about 30 guys, literally, maybe a few more foreign ones. In comparison, there's about 500 people actually on the max speed ladder, not counting the others who play the same way and never bothered to post.

The snaking ladder is basically a few guys being REALLY good at snaking, so if someone wants to join they'll have to really get their techniques down to get times even close to those guys. Since max speed techniques don't instantly half your time and such, it's much less hostile that anyone can post times and not look that bad.

Basically, being a bad snaker looks bad, and being a good snaker is brutally difficult, especially on your hands. It's a lose-lose.

Sidetrack aside, snaking for two minutes is pretty tiring, and especially if you screw it up and have to do it over again. It technically shouldn't be that hard, since you should have full health when you fight chain and you can just play "normally" when he slows down, but I can't really snake so I don't know.

As I said once, this is the only mission that you don't NEED high speed to beat it, so I suggest playing it in max speed and enjoy killing them one by one. I'm pretty sure it's simpler as well, even if it's not easier.
---
-Descend at your own discretion-