Just what was wrong with this game?

#1Coopman1010Posted 3/5/2012 6:38:10 PM
It's news to me that this particular MP installment is debated to be among one of the worst of the franchise. When I got it in 2002 I had a blast with it, and it in fact still remains my second favourite Mario Party of all time just behind 3. Why was it critiqued so harshly?
---
I wonder what's for DINNER?
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Coopster1030
#2XxPika740xXPosted 3/8/2012 11:00:41 PM
it's all opinion actually. I for one enjoy it much more than some of the others.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicandGamesandStuf
----->Pika740<----- It's all about the retro.
#3Paper_Mario_4Posted 3/9/2012 9:34:33 PM

I had some really good times with this game but I, for one, think the maps could have been better. I usually like simple maps but these were a tad too spaced out and bland for my tastes. I like it when there's a race to a star or a good chance of meeting somebody on the same space for a duel and this mp had considerably wide maps if i rememeber correctly. Wide enough to almost seem rectangular.

I loved Shy Guy's Jungle Jam, Goomba's Greedy Gala didn't please me as it's atmosphere was lackluster, Koopa's Seaside Soiree was not a map me and the homies played on, Boo's Haunted Bash was a nice map (10X better than the MP8 Boo Map), and Toad's Midway Madness wasn't anything special either.

The mini games are what made the game great as well as the little gambling element with the scratch and win and what not. The items and boards were the things holding this MP back imo.

#4XxPika740xXPosted 3/12/2012 4:13:52 PM
the focus on the mega/mini mushroom was stupid as well.

why would I want to be mini if it f***s up my dice roll? I've had times where I was two spaces away (from a minipipe) and I roll a one. That is insulting.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicandGamesandStuf
----->Pika740<----- It's all about the retro.
#5supersaadPosted 3/14/2012 8:53:42 AM
well, actually, this game has the highest average critic ratings at 8.8/10. i think it is just that the haters are more active in bashing the game than the people who like the game and praise it.
#6RunetheKoopaPosted 3/22/2012 11:14:00 AM
supersaad posted...
well, actually, this game has the highest average critic ratings at 8.8/10. i think it is just that the haters are more active in bashing the game than the people who like the game and praise it.

Or maybe, suprise, suprise, we "haters" have an opinion like everyone else.
#7Mariofan15Posted 3/24/2012 5:00:44 PM

supersaad posted...

Or maybe, suprise, suprise, we "haters" have an opinion like everyone else.

Doubt it.
---
Pokemon Black FC:3740-4363-8765
Pokemon White FC:1979-2643-0071
#8IindyysgvxcPosted 3/31/2012 4:04:53 AM
I don't understand the dislike for it, either. In my opinion, it's the most mature game in the series, with its better visuals and its psychedelic music (fun fact: all of the music in this game is sped-up) (another fun fact: here in Oz, it got a G8+/PG rating); afterwards, the series became less mature. Not to mention that it's my favourite of the Gamecube ones, as well as its high replay value (I'm referring to playing through the story with all 8 characters).
#9nordseePosted 4/4/2012 11:52:43 AM
Well, I think you cannot call it replay value, I think players who are interested in unlocking everything feel forced to play it, although its always nearly the same most of the time and gets boring after lets say 3 characters. Im actually playing story mode right now, and I think the whole thing takes too much time. I wish I was already through it, but its only my 4th playthrough right now.
No wonder that story mode was changed in MP5, only thinking about playing story mode like in this game with 10(!) characters makes me shiver.

Mario Party 4 is definitely not one of my favourite Mario Parties, once because of the story mode and second because of the luck based turn offs, like for example on Koopas board.
There are still some other points but these are the main ones.
More topics from this board...
Favourite Board. 1.4XxPika740xX1339/14 11:11PM