Well, I'm 2/3 of the way through my replay, and I think this game sucks

#1CarnaliaBarcusPosted 12/21/2010 6:36:17 AM
The controls are horrible and sluggish. The camera is a pain in the butt. The story is crappy, and it just seems like random "episodes" featuring random characters, with the player switching characters for no apparent reason. The level design is often bad. There are sluggish cut scenes that you can't skip the second time. The graphics aren't that great, and maybe to compensate for that, they intentionally blurred everything and made everything kinda brownish gray, so that in addition to being laborious to play because of the crappy controls and camera, it's hard to see what you're doing. The gameplay is a bit boring/repetitive, enemies can take ridiculous amounts of damage . . . you can kind of half-ass your way through levels, and you need to because of all of the problems, but how fun is that? I couldn't remember why I didn't buy this game the first time when I rented it. Now I remember.

I know this game has fans, but both Gun and the Call of Juarez series are WAY better than this game, in my opinion. (I haven't played Redemption yet--I'm sure I won't have the same problems with it)

Red Dead Revolver is a good game to show how much better games have gotten over the years. It brings back memories of similar control, camera, etc. issues with many PS2, XBox and GameCube games, issues that I haven't had so much with the current generation. I was also starting to replay the first GameCube Resident Evil game, but I forgot how bizarre the character controls relative to the camera are in that. I think I'm going to ditch it rather than battle through the control problems.
#2SteveZissou5Posted 12/28/2010 12:40:14 PM
I think you're missing the feel of the game. Now granted that you're just now playing it, and the fact that the sequel is out and new games are out these days. I played Red Dead Revolver when it first came out and loved it. I'm into western films like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and several others. And immediately got hooked when I played the game.

I do realize that the game is a bit dated, the gameplay repetitive and what have you. But if you look past that, there's still a lot of fun in it. The duels, the multiplayer is great if you have a friend to play it with. When you beat the game, there are cheats that can enhance the replay value and add a bit of fun. And also you can complete the journal and get a 100%, it's a bit hard to do, but it's worth it to go through the whole journal.

Also, if you still don't like this, then you'll really like Red Dead Redemption.
---
"If you could go ahead and change the cover on your TPS report, that'd be greeat.* Sips coffee*" Bill Lumberg~ Office Space
#3CarnaliaBarcus(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2010 5:42:09 AM
It was actually a replay for me, Steve. I didn't like it the first time, either, although I didn't remember why.

I just finished God of War III yesterday, so I'm going to start Redemption today.
#4puenboyPosted 1/8/2011 8:13:03 AM
Yeah, this game ain't the best, but I'd take this over call of juarez any day.
---
Snake: Liquid!
Liquid: Brotherrrrrrr!!!