Advice on leveling 75+ wizard

#1SeiferxalmsyPosted 7/11/2009 12:58:50 AM
alright, i downloaded the game the other night and i've been playing like crazy. I spent most of my first levels outside Geffen, to the west and then west,south killing things in their teens when I was level 30. Basically I had a knife to my name due to horrible money problems.

Anyway, someone turned me onto Geographers, and i've spent a lot of hours killing them. First with some help, then eventually I could solo them. By the time I became a wizard, I was lvl 63, lvl 50 mage and mostly went the fire route with rank 10 fire wall/fire bolt and rank 10 in frost drive. Level 4 in lightning bolt and lvl 5 in frost bolt.

I became a wizard and have still been using Geographers to level up to 75. But xp is very slow, and i'm reading that the Alarms in the clock tower, orcs in the clock tower, the prison and such are all better places to solo for my level.

What should a poor mage be looking for in regards to a place to go? Equipment wise I have very little. A guard from Geffen, def 4. An arc wand, and a silk robe. I have no other equipment, and I have about 100k to my name, with no high level friends to help me get cards or any high level items.

I do a fair bit of damage with around 9k being my max hit with rank 10 fire bolt. I have Meteor Strike maxed out, quagmire as well. I have enough points saved up I can put them in waterball or finish off Jupitel Thunder. Storm Gust is at rank 5.

And to top it all off, my int is maxed out at 99+13 and my dex is at 37+6. So any advice from wizards?
#2qwertyman2002Posted 7/11/2009 7:07:56 AM
Make sure you get Storm Gust 10 at all costs. Storm Gust is arguably the Wizard's best spell, and it'll be what you use should you be able to gear yourself up to party properly. If you have to ditch something, ditch Waterball. And if you haven't maxed Quagmire, don't. I kept it only at level 1 for my Wizard for PvP purposes, since I could just "flash" Quagmires to debuff people without having to worry about how many I had left (since level 1 only lasted 5 seconds). You won't be leveling it for the Dex/Agi decreasing powers anyway, since that effect of Quagmire is completely gimped.

And where you can level depends on whether or not you have Fire Wall 10. If you don't, you're kind of stuck at Geographers until you can manage to get better gear. You might be able to pull off some Alarm killing or other slow moving targets by using Frost Diver 10 + Jupitel Thunder (if you have FD), but it takes a bit longer to do that since FD isn't a 100% thing.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/qwertyman/sig2.jpg
#3Seiferxalmsy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2009 10:27:48 AM
Well, as I said. I have Frost Driver and Fire Wall at level 10, Jupitel Thunder is at 6 atm but can be maxxed. Quagmire was maxxed at level 5 for helping other players, or myself. But if it's totally useless, then is it possible to reset skills?

Also, why is Storm Gust so invaluable? It freezes everybody after 3 hits, so only bosses and undead take the full blast. And i'm looking for soloing places, so those two won't really be on my list of things to kill.
#4qwertyman2002Posted 7/11/2009 10:37:51 AM
Seiferxalmsy | Posted 7/11/2009 2:27:48 PM | message detail
Well, as I said. I have Frost Driver and Fire Wall at level 10, Jupitel Thunder is at 6 atm but can be maxxed. Quagmire was maxxed at level 5 for helping other players, or myself. But if it's totally useless, then is it possible to reset skills?

Also, why is Storm Gust so invaluable? It freezes everybody after 3 hits, so only bosses and undead take the full blast. And i'm looking for soloing places, so those two won't really be on my list of things to kill.

Haha, sorry, didn't read the entire post so I didn't catch that.

Alarms are decent then. They're real easy to mob with Firewall (you should learn how to vertical Firewall to make it easy) and they drop Oridecon and Clips, which usually sell for a decent price. There's also GH Prison, but I wouldn't recommend that place if you're not proficient with Firewall. Hunterflies like to gank you from behind, and Rybios take forever to kill unless you know how to work a Storm Gust so that a frozen Rybio slides into Firewall under a Storm Gust (which is really hard to learn how to do). It's much more fun than Alarms though, at least for me, since mobbing millions of Alarms gets stale after awhile since they're so dumb and it's so easy.

Storm Gust is invaluable because it has a crazy high MATK modifier. You'll mostly be killing Fire element monsters with it should you decide to party, so they shouldn't last for more than the third hit anyway. Heck, even monsters that take neutral damage from Storm Gust have a hard time surviving past the third hit. While the freezing may seem like a bad thing if you want pure damage, it also acts as a safety net; when you start mobbing to level like in CT High Orcs or Magma Dungeon, you might want to consider throwing out a quick SG 1 just to freeze everything to give you time to launch a Storm Gust 10. But in the case of HOs, once you get used to it, you shouldn't need to use SG 1 anyway since even with my old Wizard's low Int of 110 (WITH blessing, seriously), it only took a level 6 SG from him to kill a mob of HOs. I'd expect it to only take you a 5, maybe 4 once you get all your Int from job bonuses (if you haven't already).

Storm Gust is also the essential precasting spell for WoE; even a regular Wizard can still manage to kill Trans classes with it, at least in a precast. Again, Storm Gust 10 has a ridiculous MATK modifier and since the third hit always freezes, most people run around with Marc or Evil Druid carded armors so that they can actually do something in the Emp room.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/qwertyman/sig2.jpg
#5Psykic PetrolPosted 7/11/2009 11:42:57 AM
SG actually shines the most not against fire monsters, but undead and MVPs. Once you get the chance to go to abby level 2, you'll see.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english. - Bean0
#6mirage223Posted 7/12/2009 9:33:15 AM
storm gust is very powerful. you'll want it later, definitely get it. if you're looking for another aoe to get with sg .. i'd suggest meteor.