What does FF and FR mean?

#1YO456Posted 12/4/2008 1:33:34 PM
topic, Iīm just starting and donīt know that much about cars (also, english isnīt my first language) so, what do these mean?
I started by getting a Honda Prelude with around 190 HP, 218 after the oil change and new sport exhaust, was it a good choice? also, what upgrades do you recommend now?
thanks in advance
---
"WHAT? HOW?! Did he use that cleverly placed plaga removal chair?! I can't believe it!"- The nOOb Avenger in Saddler
#2Han_the_DragonPosted 12/4/2008 1:56:08 PM
FF - Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive
FR - Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
MR - Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive (the engine is between both axis?, I think I forgot the word...)
RR - Rear Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
AWD or 4WD - Normally Front Engine, All Wheel Drive, but some cars use a Mid-Engine (not sure if the CRT2 is Mid-Engine or Rear Engine...)

As for your car, well it could have been better, since a Silvia or MX-5 would have given you more for less (there's more events where they can enter), but still not that bad.

As for upgrades for it, start with a Racing Chip and a Weight Reduction Stage 1, those and the Oil Change should be always your 1st upgrades if you are low in money.

Then probably some cheap power upgrades and brakes, after that the gear box and Suspension, and get the high power Turbos, Natural Aspiration or Superchargers after all that, since you will want to maximise the handling before the power.

That is because handling with low power will take you far (a classic in those cases are MX-5 license tests), but a lot of power without handling will take you nowhere (good example is the SLR McLaren in S tires... it's a pain for everyone...)

---
"Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, dying times here!"
My GT4/TT Album: www.photobucket.com/albums/l227/Han_the_Dragon/
#3YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2008 2:20:03 PM
oh, I see, thanks a lot

I already got the weight reduction and racing chip, and Iīm saving up for some suspension and the brakes, as for the gear, all of them seem to have downsides, speacially lower top speed, should I use them only for rally and dirt as the game says?

also, just one more thing, I got an autobianchi from the sunday cup, is there any use for it ?
---
"WHAT? HOW?! Did he use that cleverly placed plaga removal chair?! I can't believe it!"- The nOOb Avenger in Saddler
#4YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2008 2:22:08 PM
and also, what are the three indicators in the lower left part? the first one keeps blinking during the races
---
#5Han_the_DragonPosted 12/4/2008 2:59:06 PM
The Gear Box are good, but only for selected cases, since the 2 first only improve the acceleration, not much more then that, so it's really not all that good, but the last one (Fully Customisable) allow really the full customisation of the gear ratios, so you can play a lot with it, for more top speed or acceleration depending of the track. and if you don't like to play with the gear ratios individually for each gear you can play with the more basic auto-setup, that is more or less like some (20-30) setups pre-made that will change all the gears at the same time, and they are put in a way that lower number better acceleration, higher number more speed).

So go with the Fully Customisable ones.

As for the Autobianchi, well, you can sell it for Cr. or drop some Cr. into it and use it for the Lightweight K-Cup, but it's not exactly the best car you can throw into it, but it may do the work if you are careful and also turn the Aids off.

Now those 3 lights you are mentioning are the Aids actually doing something to the car (when they are blinking it means that they are working, but I don't remember if that light is just the TCS or ASM or both), the 2nd is the Handbrake, so it will only light up when you push the handbrake, and the last one is the oil, so it will only light up when you have dirty oil in the car (and by dirty I mean really dirty, over 2000miles I think).

---
"Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, dying times here!"
My GT4/TT Album: www.photobucket.com/albums/l227/Han_the_Dragon/
#6YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2008 4:31:37 PM
what that does is regulate how fast the gears are shifted right? does it work with both AT and MT? I drive MT in real life, but for games I always use AT īcause I find it way more comfortable and enjoyable

as for those Aids, are they from the cars (that is, included in the real cars) or is the aid of the game? I know I may not be the best at this kind of game, but I donīt like getting unfair advantages or being helped to win (except by you guys, of course=P), it feels like cheating to me

and again, thanks for your answers, they are all very helpful
---
#7usernameherePosted 12/4/2008 4:42:56 PM
a good early upgrade is the semi-racing suspension.

it provides useful suspension settings without being too complicated.

also, don't buy the sports brakes. the only way you'll notice an improvement is with R-class tires.

---
"Do you see my ship? Does it look OK to you??" -Falco
#8YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2008 5:27:43 PM
so I got the semi racing suspension first, and Iīve been trying to move the spring rate and ride height in proportion to their previous values and experimenting a little (although with no notorious results)
should the camber angle be the same for front and back?
---
#9YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2008 5:29:48 PM
erase my previous statement,my car is cornering a lot better now, or at least it looks that way, on some ample turns I donīt even have to back off on the gas
---
#10KaZoooPosted 12/4/2008 5:53:36 PM
Hopefully you're using a Dualshock 2 to make the most use of pressure sensitivity...or using the right analog stick.

When I was new to the series (was like 8 years old), I mashed the X and Square buttons. Learning to modulate throttle and braking pressures is great and shapes your car setting developments much better. Manual transmission is a must. I figure for even a beginner it makes sense as it's so much more simpler than in real life (although paddle shifting is making the simplicity in real life now).

While there's this level on settings everyone can agree with, the best setups differ for each person's driving style. It may sound time consuming, but I recommend you get to reading - even if it's all online. The knowledge you absorb (assuming you don't listen to morons) can go into this game and into the real world.

As for the brakes: usernamehere is right. Your stopping power is only as good as your tires. The combination of both will make the biggest improvement - but most of the braking improvements lie in the tires. Best way to understand is that less grippy tires would lock under strong braking pressures, making stronger brakes pointless and possibly counterproductive if never sued right. The biggest pro to the brake upgrade is the stability, and perhaps feel.
---
bring your friends girl friend out, buy her a bottle of champagne, **** her out, and take pictures. problem solved.-r4X0r