What does FF and FR mean?

#21J_SeigalPosted 12/6/2008 4:03:20 AM
(to this day, the only game I ever played in manual was Daytona USA when I was a kid)

DAYYYYTOOONAAAAAAAA!!!! It's been a long time since the last time I heard it. Almost as much time as GAME OVER YEEEEEAAAHH!

Now going to MT transmission, it will take a while, but you'll notice an improvement in your times and a feeling of freedom when shifting. I started using MT when I was 5 but I didn't use it for real until 12 or so (it WILL take a while, you see?)
---
OFFICIAL DEFENDER ICE LANCE IN THE PANTS member.
Real Silverados drift men.
#22YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2008 2:51:57 PM
I got the ride height down to 113 and the spring rate to 4.0 (front) and 5.5 in the back (it seems to corner better that way) although I vary it depending on the track,is that good?
and Iīm looking at the limited slips, I think Iīll go with a 1.5, what do you believe?

oh, I see, in my country second hand is used for used stuff, like used when you buy an used car for example
Iīve been playing around a little bit (havenīt played that much yesterday and today) with MT but I canīt seem to get the hang of it, will it really hurt my driving using AT? (also, the gear regulates how fast the shifts are made, it doesnīt do anything when Iīm going MT right? )

so far Iīve won the FF championship and got the Mazda6 concept, now Iīm gonna get an used RX-5 Miata to use in the FR and convertible cups, any advice for those?

I tried the first race of the clubman thing but I got destroyed, the A spec points were like 153 (this measures your car against the competition right?) and lost by around a minute, guess Iīll have to wait to enter that tournie
---
"WHAT? HOW?! Did he use that cleverly placed plaga removal chair?! I can't believe it!"- The nOOb Avenger in Saddler
#23YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2008 2:52:59 PM
sorry for the double post, one more thing, should I get a spoiler? whatīs a good downforce setting?
---
"WHAT? HOW?! Did he use that cleverly placed plaga removal chair?! I can't believe it!"- The nOOb Avenger in Saddler
#24Han_the_DragonPosted 12/6/2008 3:10:43 PM
No need for spoilers unless you are going for extreme times, they don't help all that much in FF cars and low power cars.

Also that Mazda6 isn't a bad car (probably easier to drive then your car, at least at sock).

As for a FR car I would get a TVR Griffin 500 (it's almost always 15.555Cr. used IIRC) it's much better and also I don't think the MX-5 is good enough for the FR Challenge and it will also need some tuning for the Spider and Roadster, so the TVR is a better option...

---
"Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, dying times here!"
My GT4/TT Album: www.photobucket.com/albums/l227/Han_the_Dragon/
#25KaZoooPosted 12/6/2008 5:02:55 PM
To supplement people's posts, not argue with them:

The TVR Griffith will take you somewhere if you can drive it. It much ends up faster than it's replacement, the Tamora, and the evolution of it's replacement, the T350c - assuming you would modify all three. The MX-5 is nice, but you'll know that the TVR is so much of a better deal.

Spoilers aren't going to help an FF car much except under corner entry. That could be helpful, but the biggest problem with FF's is the torque steer and exit traction, which a spoiler can't help.

Your settings are a bit off, but don't take that as an insult. Experimentation is great when beginning the game, Ideally the springs would have to start in accordance to holding with the weight balance. The Prelude is front heavy so the spring rate would ideally be greater in the front.

The reason you feel better with a stiffer rear is because of of the many 'principles' of suspension tuning, that a car will oversteer with a stiffer rear. Once your driving technique is refined, you'll find that you don't need that setup anymore, and will want to build speed another way. But like I said, you're doing nothing wrong as a beginner. Experimentation is a great step, and with a game where you won't suffer from doing things wrong, it's awesome.

The 1.5 is going to be making the car a bit harder to steer. A 1-way is better to it helps with traction. If you buy a full customize LSD, then set the initial and accel values all the way up, you'll have a twitchier ride that oversteers under exit. I myself perfer to do that with my FF cars.
---
bring your friends girl friend out, buy her a bottle of champagne, **** her out, and take pictures. problem solved.-r4X0r
#26YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2008 6:10:50 PM
10-4, no spoiler then (unless it looks really good on the car hehe=P)

I liked the feel of the Mazda6 (although the Prelude is better right now due to tuning, I tried a few courses and got up to 12 seconds less in each lap) but it doesnīt have any specific drivetrain, so I canīt use it for any of my currently available challenges, Iīm keeping it for later use

and thanks for the advice about the TVR, I donīt have one available to buy yet in the used showrooms, but I donīt have the money either so Iīll look later when I do

with the springs in this position I pretty much donīt have to brake on some of the wider corners, do you believe I could get a better boost in speed if I lowered a little the rear springs and upped the front ones? If it does I could just brake a little more and make up for it with the extra speed

Iīm doing the sunday cup again to get some money and then either sell the autobianchi or use it for the K-cup, this is a nice opportunity to try new setting, so Iīll strat tweaking it and see what nets me the best results, and when Iīm done Iīm taking a break from the Prelude and going after the FR challenge

---
#27YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2008 5:46:45 PM
okay, update time!

the TVR Griffin was unavailable at the time (it was 20.550 Cr so I had to run some more races, and when I finally went to buy it the line up changed) so I got a Honda S2000 for a little extra money (around 28000 Cr.) got a racing chip, weight reduction, racing exhaust and later a suspension (made some tweaks here, stiffer springs on the front than on the back, shock absorvers at 7 and camber angle higher on the front to help cornering and lower on the rear to have better acceleration/speed...hope that made sense)

so, I won the FR and Spider & Roadster challenge and sold the price car from the last (Chrysler something) for 10000Cr (couldnīt be used in challenges so it lacked any real use at the moment) and got a Acura NSX 97ī (which I hear is a great car, at least in real life) for the MR challenge, and a racing chip for it

any advice for me? what are some good suspension settings for a MR car?
---
#28KaZoooPosted 12/7/2008 6:36:47 PM
The Acura NSX is actually the worst of the NSX's. You can get somewhere with it, but eh. Tuning an MR car is a bit different, let alone driving one. You have to realize the engine is in the middle, which will perhaps make the car more rear heavy. But if I remember right, the NSX is still a 50/50 balanced car. Nonetheless, I advise the rear to be a bit stiffer anyway when you buy upgraded suspension.

The drive will be different, as you will experience "snap oversteer" or sometimes referred to as "lift off oversteer". When you're of the throttle and then steering, the car will rotate rather quick. Best way to overcome this is to brake in a straight line (well, you should always be doing that.). But like I said, the NSX is exceptionally weight biased so the effect isn't going to be too big. Overall, this car will handle so much better.

---
bring your friends girl friend out, buy her a bottle of champagne, **** her out, and take pictures. problem solved.-r4X0r
#29YO456(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2008 6:21:05 PM
I though they were all pretty much equal he

anyway, won the MR challenge, now looking for a good 4WD, maybe an Audi TT? tried it on arcade mode and liked how it handled (although it was on a dirt track) for the K cup,I think Iīll use the Autobianchi with a few upgrades, thereīs not many cars I like to choose from here

also, I tried the first and second special conditions race and got my ass handed to me royally, and I mean REALLY badly, any tips, or should I finish the beginner and first pro challenges before?
---
#30KaZoooPosted 12/10/2008 9:28:39 PM
The major AWDs to consider are the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution ("Evo" for short) and Subaru Impreza Sti. I'm not saying that as some ricer Japanese car whore, but those two stand out as AWD cars. The newer Evo's have remarkable handling among the AWD cars. They're easier to turn hard with and have a lighter feel. Most will say the Evoltuion VI (6) TME is the best one in the GSR trim. The Impreza Sti is a more solid-feeling car. In this game it's noted for it's above-average acceleration, and in fact holds the record for fastest non-race car drag time. What one has the other lacks and you will quickly notice the big contrast.

But I'm not saying those are the only worthwhile AWD's. The Audi TT is alright but falls short of those two. The only other unique AWD experience I can point out is the Skyline GT-R and it's many many variants. The AWD was designed mainly for road and has FR-like handling at some times, meaning it's not the ideal choice for a rally car.

The special condition races are easy to dominate once you're familiar with the courses. Grand Canyon on Hard difficulty is one of the only real challenges.
---