Any way to get rid of trash you have already accumulated in a landfill?

#1gibberishishPosted 8/13/2009 1:53:15 AM
I am irritated by the decrease in land value caused by my small landfill zone. Is there anything I can do about it? I built a recycling center and started exporting a ton of trash but still the efficiency of my landfill is down to zero and the game is prompting me to zone MORE landfill. Is there any way to do away with it (without employing any out-of-game dls, cheats, etc.)?? I don't want to build an incinerator if it is not going to solve my problem, as that is sure to bring land value down further.
#2ZeusthagodPosted 8/13/2009 5:32:48 AM
Build a Waste to Energy plant to get rid of your trash and demolish the road that goes to the landfill. Without road access the landfill will eventually clear up and you can dezone it.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
Lakers 2009 NBA Champions!
#3Person0123452Posted 8/13/2009 7:13:10 AM
If you don't want an incinerator, export the trash. All of it. The landfill should eventually dry up. If not, destroy the roads leading to it. Beware though, the last 4 blocks of landfill take a long time to dissapear, and even if the city registers 0 trash they may still be there, but they do eventually dissapear. But make sure you are getting rid of all of your trash, the export thing will limit how much you can send based on the recievers capacity, so thehigehst value may not equal all of your trash.
#4gibberishish(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2009 9:37:56 PM
Thanks, fellas. Any estimate as to how long either of these methods will take? I just ate up a good 15 years on each method and didn't notice a change.

And another question, if you can spare your know-how...at about what population would you recommend building an airport or landing strip?
#5SuperGamerDPosted 8/15/2009 4:17:54 AM
The landfill contents decompose, and when the 'fill is not in use, all of its contents will eventually disappear for all intents and purposes.

Airport construction is only really necessary if you have a fairly large commercial sector that is growing, and increasingly high-end. You could have a huge industrial city and not need an airport, or a slum-ish city with vast expanses of low-end commercial districts and also not need an airport. I can't put an exact number on it, but you, or maybe just me, can just tell. Thinking about 6 plus large blocks of middle to high end business zones. City population of no less than 35,000-50,000. We're not talkin' 'bout strips for crop dusters.
#6ZeusthagodPosted 8/17/2009 7:17:58 PM
I would hold off building an airport until your Sims actually demand one unless your city just has large cash reserves. Like the above poster said, it's dependent on commercial sector size and not your actual city population.

Also don't bother building a landing strip unless you don't plan on your commercial sector getting much larger than it already is. Just go ahead and build the small municipal airport.
---
A wise man told me "don't argue with fools"
Lakers 2009 NBA Champions!