Tips for newcomers (and for the vets too)

#1ShadesElfenPosted 12/15/2012 5:56:08 PM
Been a long time since I last played Shenmue, but started playing it again on a whim.
decided to share some of the general tricks i know.

1)BUY ANYTHING at the very start of the game, lighters, capsule toys anything, it will help very soon

2)Use the soft reset trick (hold Back and Start for a few seconds) after saving infront of any gambling place (best is warehouses in Fortunes Pier)

3)for the vets : duck racing help : if you did the lengthy sidequest to get to this and you got your own duck, did you know you can see your ducks stats by holding X,A,B and the right trigger from after you pay to when the race starts? it also shows you how much your duck Improves at the end of the race (will edit this one as my ducks stats stopped going up, don't know yet if you can only raise them a certain amount per day)

4)Leaf catching, the best method i have found to catch leaves (and more then one) is to look straight up and wait until you see a group of three or four close together, follow them until you see them blur and go for it :P best I did was catch 2 leaves and the duck feather at once (was only aiming for the feather)

5)Book airing, I've found that holding the trigger between quarter to quarter and a half down works best as this gives a bit of room between QTEs and allows you to finish (if you dont drop any) between 10:55-11-25

If you want some more tips, please leave a message
#2osiris605Posted 12/18/2012 10:06:03 AM
ShadesElfen posted...
Been a long time since I last played Shenmue, but started playing it again on a whim.
decided to share some of the general tricks i know.

1)BUY ANYTHING at the very start of the game, lighters, capsule toys anything, it will help very soon

2)Use the soft reset trick (hold Back and Start for a few seconds) after saving infront of any gambling place (best is warehouses in Fortunes Pier)

3)for the vets : duck racing help : if you did the lengthy sidequest to get to this and you got your own duck, did you know you can see your ducks stats by holding X,A,B and the right trigger from after you pay to when the race starts? it also shows you how much your duck Improves at the end of the race (will edit this one as my ducks stats stopped going up, don't know yet if you can only raise them a certain amount per day)

4)Leaf catching, the best method i have found to catch leaves (and more then one) is to look straight up and wait until you see a group of three or four close together, follow them until you see them blur and go for it :P best I did was catch 2 leaves and the duck feather at once (was only aiming for the feather)

5)Book airing, I've found that holding the trigger between quarter to quarter and a half down works best as this gives a bit of room between QTEs and allows you to finish (if you dont drop any) between 10:55-11-25

If you want some more tips, please leave a message

Good stuff. I'm still skeptic about catching more than one leaf. I haven't been able to do that yet.
#3ShadesElfen(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 6:43:01 PM
I think (but am not sure) that you cannot catch more then one leaf at a time until after you do the leaf catching part of the story.

Don't hold me to that though, as when I do it as part of the story I just make a point of catching 1 at a time.

I've been using the save-gamble save/reset trick to fund my new-found obsession of capsule toys. :/

really should advance the story so I have access to the fighter that you just have to catch to win, so I can practice Ryu's moves to perfection.

ah well, maybe one day SEGA might give us Shenmue III.... maybe... hopefully... please?