melee and ranged combat

#1chrisjfinlayPosted 5/11/2008 11:33:24 AM
chances are this could be answered by reading manuals, but i hate electronic PDFs and seeing as the Universe box only comes with a paper manual for Gothic 3, it can work it up it's ass :P

Melee combat. I'm trying to figure out the pattern for how it actually works, but I'm drawing a blank amidst the button mashing. Weapon drawn, holding down action... press forward to swing? I'm not too sure just what I'm doing, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ranged combat: At the start of the game I found a bow, and some arrows. I aimed at a wolf sitting still, and from what I could tell of the arrows trail, I scored a hit. Yet the wolf's health meter didn't go down. What's going on? (I could see myself missing as it started moving, but I'm sure I was hitting it before...)
---
GFAQS: Where old memes come to die in a flaming ball of unfunny.
As usual, Finlay brings the awesome. - Larry Csonka
#2NinjaInACanPosted 5/11/2008 11:50:50 AM
Melee combat. I'm trying to figure out the pattern for how it actually works, but I'm drawing a blank amidst the button mashing. Weapon drawn, holding down action... press forward to swing? I'm not too sure just what I'm doing, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

If you're using Gothic 1 controls(this is set inthe options menu), your attacks are like this:

Pressing action+Right does a swing to the right. Pressing action+left does a swing to the left. Combining these(left-swing, then right-swing, then left-swing, then right-swing) with effective timing allows you to do this continuously.

Pressing action+forward does a forward attack. You can do this multiple times(twice to start) if you time this well. As you increase your weapon skill you will be able to perform more and different attacks in this manner.

pressing back+attack blocks.

If you're not using Gothic 1 controls, there are separate buttons for attack, left attack, right attack, and block. Everything else is the same. If you're going to use primarily melee, I would definitely suggest NOT using Gothic 1 controls, as melee is hard enough as it is without the disadvantages of using Gothic 1 controls.

Ranged combat: At the start of the game I found a bow, and some arrows. I aimed at a wolf sitting still, and from what I could tell of the arrows trail, I scored a hit. Yet the wolf's health meter didn't go down. What's going on? (I could see myself missing as it started moving, but I'm sure I was hitting it before...)

Not all shots hit when using ranged weapons. As your skill with ranged weapons(bows and x-bow skills) increases, you'll see a better chance to hit. Your chance to hit is also based on the enemy, as well as the enemy's attack pattern.

---
the burning destroyer argosy rictus DeTH antics languish stairway.
#3chrisjfinlay(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2008 4:20:59 AM
Cheers for the reply. Looking at your description of melee it all makes sense, so I can't see why you think it's a disadvantage for melee fighters..?
---
GFAQS: Where old memes come to die in a flaming ball of unfunny.
As usual, Finlay brings the awesome. - Larry Csonka
#4NinjaInACanPosted 5/12/2008 7:57:14 AM
Cheers for the reply. Looking at your description of melee it all makes sense, so I can't see why you think it's a disadvantage for melee fighters..?

Gothic 1 controls are a disadvantage for melee fighters because of the slight pause between attacking and moving that doesn't exist when not using Gothic 1 controls.

Try making a forwards attack with G1 controls(while not running), then immediately try moving.
Do the same without G1 controls enabled. You should see a small but crucial difference.

Or if you mean melee in general as opposed to ranged, it's because you have to fight groups of three to five enemies at a time in mid-to-late-game, and often, multi-enemy encounters are very difficult.
---
the burning destroyer argosy rictus DeTH antics languish stairway.