This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on the game, playing for the first time since 2003

#1MajinBalthierPosted 4/23/2013 5:17:01 PM
Back then, I got roughly 60% of the way through the story. I think I ran into a wall with Rub Out or maybe the junkyard shootout.

I'm just doing the main story, but if this were ten years ago (when I had more free time), I'd do everything.

The only problem I have with it: I have three missions left to beat the game. I thought I was just about done, but then I learned that to unlock the last mission, I need to own six properties. What does this mean? Well, there are 12ish properties in the game that you can buy, all of which are mega-expensive and require money farming. Some of them also have missions attached to them, as in you need to do one or more missions to acquire the property (in addition to buying it in the first place).

I'll find out which six are the easiest to get, but what this means is that the "goalpost has been moved" as it were. I really don't like it when a game yanks the finish line away when you think you're gonna cross it. Wind Waker does that too. This is just another Triforce/Artifact hunt type deal to draw out the length of a game, and I don't like it. Don't even know where to start with the property hunt. Then again... the game is so good that in a way I can't complain about being "forced" to play it for longer. I guess I was just hoping to get it finished today.

Ya know, I think I have found my "favorite game-type". Open-world games with "missions" or "quests" (same thing, really) that you can undertake in whatever order you find them, more or less. I particularly like GTA's way of having a bunch of missions (in a certain order) tied to a particular NPC that serves as a hub. Games like this also mean you can explore on your own at will. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are like this and I really enjoyed those games too. Of course, Elder Scrolls is the same way, which is why I've been so willing to play those.

In any case, I didn't really like GTA3 back in the day but VC is considerably superior. Between that and my new-found liking of this type of game, I'd say I made the right call by waiting ten years to play VC for real.

I like it so much that I'd be willing to play San Andreas (supposedly the best in the series), GTA4, and GTA5 at some point too.
---
www.coronajumper.com - The greatest retro gaming blog on the internet.
#2ChristopheePosted 4/24/2013 5:19:25 AM
To be fair, if you didn't have to do any of the assets, then the storyline would be really short. Plus the second last mission would make no sense (you'll see when you get there).

There are nine assets which will generate money when you complete them. Two of them are required, and then you choose five of the other seven.

Required assets
Protection Ring (complete the 3 'V' missions at the Vercetti mansion)
Print Works (purchase the property and complete the 2 missions)

Complete any 5 of these 7 assets
Malibu Club (purchase the property and complete the 4 missions)
Film Studio (purchase the property and complete the 4 missions)
Kaufman Cabs (purchase the property and complete the 3 missions)
Boatyard (purchase the property and complete the mission by entering one of the boats)
Ice Cream Factory (purchase the property and complete the mission by entering the Mr Whoopee)
Sunshine Autos (purchase the property and complete the first car delivery list)
Pole Position Club (purchase the property and spend $300 on a stripper in the back room)

So if you want to get to the end as quickly as possible, I would suggest skipping the Malibu Club and the Film Studios, as they have the most missions. The missions are pretty fun though.
---
Christophee Cougars: 313 Fantasy NFL Second Place (2010) & Third Place (2008 & 2011)
#3Mr HangmanPosted 4/24/2013 7:50:03 PM
Why are you so interested in the "main" missions, but not the rest? They're part of the game too, you should want to finish them just as much. And you only have to do a little of the side missions to have well over enough money to buy all the properties.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#4toocool24Posted 5/21/2013 2:40:41 PM
This is my fav GTA. I love the 80's music and theme. The actors voicing this game, especially Ray Liotta voicing Tommy V. Tommy is my fav main character of the GTA series. Tommy is a BEAST!!!
---
2008 World Series Champions : Philadelphia Phillies
#5blanePosted 5/29/2013 2:02:55 AM
Yep.

It's a close call between SA and VC, but I also give the edge to VC. It introduced helicopters which was just "WOW!" for me back then.
---
* Ka-tet of Wordslingers | MoFaT
#6iron_defensePosted 6/9/2013 2:14:48 AM
Christophee posted...
Required assets
Protection Ring (complete the 3 'V' missions at the Vercetti mansion)
Print Works (purchase the property and complete the 2 missions)

I thought the Mailbu was required.
---
I think it's only fair that we throw monopoly money at strippers with fake boobs.