The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who busted the deal? *Spoilers*

#1marthoglyPosted 7/3/2013 10:36:51 AM
Both Cortez and Lance, in different cutscenes, comment that Diaz ambushed the deal at the start of the game, killed Vic and got the money and the yayo. What clues lead them to that? That story point is vague, and no matter how many times I play VC, I can't understand it.

Also, when Tommy calls Sonny to tell him that the deal was ambushed, we see Sonny in front of packages of cocaine, implying that the busted the deal.

What really happened?
---
Legend of Dragoon:what I exactly want from an RPG
#2ChristopheePosted 7/4/2013 6:14:50 AM
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I think the majority view is that it was Sonny.
---
Christophee Cougars: 313 Fantasy NFL Second Place (2010) & Third Place (2008 & 2011)
#3marthogly(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2013 7:34:18 AM
Christophee posted...
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I think the majority view is that it was Sonny.

It's a major plot point, and it's a shame R* left it ambiguous.

There is another parameter in the subject. Shortly after Tommy kills Leo, he receives a phone call by an unknown man, who tells him that they found a buyer for ''Diaz' merchandize''. I think it's implied, that this merc, is actually Tommy's merc who Leo stole and gave to Diaz. Also, in the first phone mission, Mr. Black refers to some ''out of towners'' that Leo helped to take care of, and he probably refers to Tommy and the others.

But again, there is nothing definitive.
---
Legend of Dragoon:what I exactly want from an RPG
#4Shiranui777Posted 7/22/2013 1:32:53 PM
Diaz was Mr. Coke.

Leo's buddy said on the phone "we have a buyer for Diaz's merchandise." Kent Paul said he was looking really happy lately, probably because he just got a crap load of things to sell off as well as a lot of money. Deal just got ambushed, guy very happy, calls it Diaz's merchandise.

Lance said about Diaz "If we know Diaz is the one who messed up our deal then why in the hell are we running errands for him?!"

It was clearly said Diaz was the guy who did it. Cortez said "it would seem our recent problem was a result of the loose tongue of my trusted collegue Gonzalez" Gonzalez was Cortez's (who helped Rosenburg set up the deal at the start) right hand and he ratted out a deal was happening. Diaz was arrogant and probably not the type to like competition.

All the evidence points to Diaz one of the biggest coke players in VC, wouldn't make much sense to be anyone but him. Sonny wouldn't exactly set up his own deal.
---
Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777Shiranui777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIws86ZLyk why i lost faith in humanity
#5glusertyPosted 7/26/2013 4:54:48 AM
I once commented on a thread on IMDB.com about this subject as well, when one poster was VERY committed to the fact that Sonny busted the deal. Honesty, I couldn't completely disagree with him, since Sonny then could have Tommy do some of the Forelli families dirty work down there (the gamer isn't given any specifics if Tommy thinks he is there for one quick deal, or there for extended business. My guess in that scenario is that the gunman were instructed not to kill Tommy, so Sonny can have his hooks into Tommy).
However, I subscribe to the theory that Diaz busted the deal, since it's mentioned by other characters early on (as mentioned, Cortez and Lance). There is a small hole in the theory though, if one tries to tie in the two "Vice City" game together when it comes to Diaz and Lance, since Diaz and Lance act like they are unfamiliar with each other in "Vice City", but in "Vice City Stories" they strike up a partnership.
I don't know, I can talk myself into either theory, but Rockstar Games themselves seem to hold onto the storyline that it was a Diaz ambush (also the fact that Diaz had Cortez's right hand man Gonzalez in his pocket). In the end, I agree with the fact that this plotline was left somewhat ambiguous.
#6DonVito1990Posted 8/23/2013 7:01:11 AM
i tink it wuz diaz my face is melting
#7FooFightersFanPosted 9/4/2013 11:55:28 AM
Isn't it possible that Diaz is working for Sonny? Sonny seems to be very on top of the situation. Maybe he intends for Tommy to weaken Diaz and then they can both be taken out or something.

I always assumed that Sonny set it up or pulled some strings or something but Diaz's men were the ones executing the plan. I guess I never thought too much about it though.
#8LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 9/4/2013 6:08:53 PM
FooFightersFan posted...
Isn't it possible that Diaz is working for Sonny? Sonny seems to be very on top of the situation. Maybe he intends for Tommy to weaken Diaz and then they can both be taken out or something.

I always assumed that Sonny set it up or pulled some strings or something but Diaz's men were the ones executing the plan. I guess I never thought too much about it though.

That's possible, but it seems too logical that it's Sonny, ultimately at least. Tommy isn't someone you'd send to do a drug deal, or even a thousand deals. It's obvious, in hindsight, that Sonny's comment about "turning Tommy loose in VC" implied that Sonny would, arrange Tommy's "difficulties," and give him the motivation needed for him to take over. hen Sonny could off Tommy and take over the empire he built.

Diaz would be a likely culprit for carrying out the actual attack, although Sonny might very well have orchestrated the whole thing. I guess it depends on the extent of Sonny's connections in VC and how much he knew, though. But Sonny's motivation to give Tommy a reason for revenge is just too great, especially considering how profitable it ended up.

One big reason pointing to Sonny as the ultimate orchestrater of the bust, though, is how Lance all of a sudden begins insisting that Diaz did it. True, he might've done some investigating and concluded that himself, but from the very first mention of Diaz as being the culprit, he's just... too sure of himself. He knows for a fact that Diaz did it. And given his later...dealings with Sonny, its just too likely that Sonny fed him that information to set him (and by extension, Tommy) against Diaz to usurp his empire, counting on Tommy's ruthlessness (and desire for revenge over the drug deal) to win him the victory. Of course, I doubt Lance knew the truth about Sonny's involvement, given that his brother was killed in the attack, but that's hardly surprising.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#9FooFightersFanPosted 9/5/2013 5:54:24 AM
I wonder if Rockstar knew how much debate they would cause over a seemingly simple plot event!

What always got me was that Sonny called Tommy pretty much right after the deal went bad, and he had the pile of drugs sitting in his office as he was making the call. Rockstar doesn't just haphazardly throw things together, they plan out what objects to put in every scene so that things fit together.

In any case, Tommy comes out on top and that's all that matters!
#10phobia881Posted 9/22/2013 2:51:23 PM(edited)
I always assumed it was Sonny due to the drugs on the table during that phone call
---
last.fm/user/bobo9390