Stunt Boat Challenge (PC version)

#1KnuttjobPosted 5/13/2008 3:17:47 PM
I recall having trouble with this Mission the first time I played the game, but once I got the hang of how the boat handled and took corners I recall that I did it fairly easily.

Now it's a real...Pain!

I hit the first checkpoint then the second, then hit the ramp to jump the golf course and pick up the third checkpoint which is in midair above the golf course. But for some reason I can never get enough speed to clear the fairway and I always end up sliding to a stop on dry land.

If I jump out and push the boat into the water I run out of time with about 5 checkpoints to go.

I tried using the 'airship' cheat as I hit the ramp and that gives me the air I need to clear the golf course, but I have to enter the 'airship' cheat again straight away or the boat skips about too much.

By using the 'airship' cheat I can pick up the third checkpoint without marooning myself, and while before I would run out of time with 5 checkpoints to go, now I run out of time with 3, or even just 2 checkpoints to go. Very frustrating. I tried entering the cheat to speed things up, but that speeds up the clock as well, so not only do I still run out of time, now I run out of it even faster :D

I'm not sure why this Mission is giving me so much trouble. It seems like the boat is just not physically fast enough to complete this Mission but as I completed it when I first got the game, that just doesn't seem right. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
#2alext_bPosted 5/13/2008 4:23:32 PM
First of all, cheating only makes this mission harder......it did for me anyway. Secondly, the boat on the left is faster. Thirdly, with or without cheats you need a ton of practice to make it through. By the time I managed to finish it I had the whole course and the checkpoints memorized by heart so I was always ready for the twists and turns. Hope you get through it.
#3bhamvPosted 5/13/2008 10:09:50 PM
He's talking about Stunt Boat Challenge, not Checkpoint Charlie.

If you're landing too far inland to slide naturally into the water, I can only assume you're not picking up enough speed beforehand. Try to line up with the ramp as far ahead as possible, so you have a long stretch of water to accelerate in. Then floor it.
#4Metroidude477Posted 5/14/2008 5:59:30 AM
Wow, well if you suck at this mission then wait till you do checkpoint charlie. That was pure hell, i beat it on my 10000th try with 1 second left on the clock, sorry....
---
Metroidude477
MPH FC: 2664-1282-0389
#5Knuttjob(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2008 11:00:13 AM
Good Lord that took a long time! I finally just completed it. As usual, the boat wouldn't clear the small island at the third checkpoint but I found if I held down the Accelerator key that about half the time the boat would have enough momentum to slide into the water, but it wasn't always a sure thing. Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't.

I kept at it and a couple of times I ran out of time between the second-to-last and final checkpoint, so I started clipping the checkpoints where if I had to make a right turn after a particular checkpoint, I'd go through that checkpoint on it's rightmost edge, and vice versa where a left turn was required.

By clipping the checkpoints I must have saved a second or two, because I literally ran out of time just as I hit the final checkpoint and it surprised the hell out of me (and was a huge relief, too) when I passed the mission. Finally! :D

Cheats weren't needed, just luck in clearing the island (or at least being able to slide back into the water), and some precise driving to clip the checkpoints without actually missing them.
#6SteveCrookPosted 5/16/2008 11:19:41 PM
>
> I'm not sure why this Mission is giving me so much trouble. It seems like the
> boat is just not physically fast enough to complete this Mission but as I
> completed it when I first got the game, that just doesn't seem right. Does
> anyone have any tips or suggestions?
>

It is fast enough, but only just. Every time you hit the bank along the river that loses you a second or two. And if you miss a target or a jump or land badly after a jump (you can land sideways) or take a wrong turning you may as well give up.

I rarely finish it with more than 3 seconds left on the clock, often less

As for jumping over the golf course, I think the weather helps (or hinders)

Steve
#7BymanjPosted 5/25/2008 6:35:43 AM
I don't understand. Is there a key to go fast? What is the accelerate key, cuz I can't pickup speed at all, my motors are barely running, what's the accelerate key? the default one, please reply
#8SteveCrookPosted 5/25/2008 8:43:57 AM
>
> I don't understand. Is there a key to go fast? What is the accelerate key, cuz I
> can't pickup speed at all, my motors are barely running, what's the accelerate
> key? the default one, please reply
>

Just the normal key to make any vehicle go forwards.
I have it set to use the Up Arrow key but you can configure it to whichever key you prefer

Steve