Fists and Masamune

#1NisNamanArhatPosted 1/15/2014 10:31:20 PM
I saw three copies of Final Fantasy Origins at a store in the area where I'm living. I'm interested in picking up a copy. There are also five copies of Chrono Cross.

I don't remember where I got this piece of information, but up to Origins, Bare Hands are the most powerful weapons in Final Fantasy II, next to the Masamune. Can anyone confirm or update this?
#2silktailPosted 1/16/2014 9:54:14 AM
Bare Hands are the most powerful weapons in Final Fantasy II, next to the Masamune. Can anyone confirm or update this?

Lv.16 Fists are the second most powerful 2-handed weapon (2 hands wielding 1 weapon), after the Masamune (the most powerful).

However:
- Using a shield reduces their Attack Power by more than when you use a shield with a single-handed weapon.

- Dual-wielding weapons (one in each hand) will do attacks with both weapons in FF:Origins (unlike the Famicom original). This may do more damage than a 2-handed weapon.
(I don't know how the attack power stat is shown for this in FF:Origins. It probably adds both values together.)

Note: The Attack Power of Fists is boosted by their skill level. As well as getting the normal number of hits that weapons get from their skill level.
I think Lv.13 Fists is slightly stronger than 2-handed Excalibur, so that is when they become the 2nd most powerful 2-handed weapon in FF:Origins.
---
#3NisNamanArhat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 6:53:43 PM
Thanks.

It's a given that one must level up Fists in order to make them effective. It's what I did in Dawn of Souls.

I also raised Shields to max level in order to raise Agility and Evade and Magic Defense. When you max out Evade and Magic Defense, you no longer have to wear Armor or Shields, until you get the Masamune, you could just go commando with maxed out Fists.

If I'm going to use Ultima, I'll also have to max out other Weapons for the caster, along with maxing out magic slots and maxing out their levels as well. For the rest, just max out Fists, Swords for the Masamune, Shields, and essential spells.

Don't you mean Dual-wielding Excaliburs? I never knew of a setup where you could use a sword with two hands, unless you mean if you leave the secondary hand empty. Of course, one can't win multiple Excaliburs in the Memory Game. That's for Masamunes.

When I played Dawn of Souls, when I got Minwu, I would go to Mysidia in sequence-break and max out my characters, thus making the rest of the game easier. Of course, the tedious leveling system was grating.
#4silktailPosted 1/17/2014 12:47:13 PM
NisNamanArhat posted...
Don't you mean Dual-wielding Excaliburs? I never knew of a setup where you could use a sword with two hands, unless you mean if you leave the secondary hand empty.

Holding a weapon in one hand and leaving the other empty, is how you use a weapon 2-handed in FF2.

Doing so will add more strength to that one weapon (than having something in the second hand), so it gives that weapon a higher Attack Power.

In the original Famicom version this was the best way to do the most damage. But that changed when Dual-wielded weapons were made to attack with both weapons (in the remakes).

Note: Fists are the most powerful early game weapon, but are harder to maintain (levels) as you get better weapons.
Duel-wielding (In the remakes) will eventually win out over Lv.16 Fists too.

Of course, one can't win multiple Excaliburs in the Memory Game. That's for Masamunes.

Well you can get Excalibur drops from the Iron Giants in the original (& remakes).

Meanwhile the Snowcraft game only appeared in the remakes and only had a Masamune prize in Dawn of Souls (& later).

When I played Dawn of Souls, when I got Minwu, I would go to Mysidia in sequence-break and max out my characters, thus making the rest of the game easier. Of course, the tedious leveling system was grating.

Depends if you prefer to play a fun challenging* game. Or a very easy & somewhat boring game. ;)

* I say "challenging", but using shields/etc for Evasion% really makes it a fairly easy game anyway.
---
#5NisNamanArhat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 4:52:18 PM
Thanks.

I didn't know Iron Giants drops Excaliburs. Or that Masamunes were available as prizes in Dawn of Souls and later.

Well, I guess I'll raise Fists to 16, like I have done in Dawn of Souls, and Swords to 16 as well, to compare between maxed out Fists and dual-wielded Excaliburs. The leveling system in Origins is harder than in Dawn of Souls. For something to be leveled up, it has to be used 100 times each level, compared to increments starting from a much lower number in Dawn of Souls.

You're right. Dual-wielded weapons have the inherent advantage of hitting twice, compared to fists hitting only once.