FF2 PSP question about the Superbosses

#1BAEx10Posted 1/18/2014 12:15:35 PM
Im playing FF2 on PSP (I'm posting this on that board as well) and I don't understand how to fight Phrekyos and Deumion. According to FFWiki you can fight the easiest version if you learn less than 4 key terms. I don't get how that is possible.

So when is the very earliest you can fight Phrekyos? (I plan on obtaining and leveling up my spells very early so I can fight Phrekyos and get the weapons)

Any help would be much appreciated!
#2silktailPosted 1/18/2014 8:01:07 PM
I haven't played the PSP version, but from what I've heard you can get a character's weapons before they leave the party (for good*).

Meanwhile you can learn brand new key-words in the Labyrinth itself.
So I imagine you would have enough key-words to get Minwu's weapon, soon after he joins you.

* Note: Some characters join you, leave you, join you later, and then leave for good. I think you can get their weapon on the second occasion.
---
#3BAEx10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 1:38:07 AM
I've almost finished the game before but I don't get how it can be possible to enter all the labyrinths and fight Phrekyos with only 4 or less terms learned. I just want to know how and when I can fight him as early as possible. Unless its a thing you can do only on a NG+?
#4silktailPosted 1/19/2014 10:24:09 AM
I don't get how it can be possible to enter all the labyrinths and fight Phrekyos with only 4 or less terms learned.

As I mentioned above, I think it's a case of learning 4 key-words from the main game. Using those key-words to access areas in the labyrinth and learning new key-words in those areas.
(So you don't advance the main game and lose the 4th character).

E.g. You start with 4, learn say 6 more key-words in the Labyrinth. Which would give you enough to fight Phrekyos. (Note that I don't know the actual amounts gained/needed.)
---
#5BAEx10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 10:38:37 AM
silktail posted...
I don't get how it can be possible to enter all the labyrinths and fight Phrekyos with only 4 or less terms learned.

As I mentioned above, I think it's a case of learning 4 key-words from the main game. Using those key-words to access areas in the labyrinth and learning new key-words in those areas.
(So you don't advance the main game and lose the 4th character).

E.g. You start with 4, learn say 6 more key-words in the Labyrinth. Which would give you enough to fight Phrekyos. (Note that I don't know the actual amounts gained/needed.)
---

Ok, I get that part. But in order to fight Phrekyos you have to go to all 4 labyrinths right? And in order to go through all four you have to keep going through the main game. I don't know, this whole thing is rather confusing and the guides aren't really helping me. I just want to fight Phrekyos when he has only 800 HP, which is his level 1 form.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Phrekyos
#6silktailPosted 1/19/2014 11:29:05 AM
BAEx10 posted...
And in order to go through all four you have to keep going through the main game.

You do? I thought the dungeons were in the areas around Poft and Bafsk.

If so then you can easily access them once you have the canoe. And Minwu gives you that when he joins.

Or is there another restriction, besides the key-words?
---
#7BAEx10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 12:45:11 PM
silktail posted...
BAEx10 posted...
And in order to go through all four you have to keep going through the main game.

You do? I thought the dungeons were in the areas around Poft and Bafsk.

If so then you can easily access them once you have the canoe. And Minwu gives you that when he joins.

Or is there another restriction, besides the key-words?
---

Well each labyrinth requires a certain amount of keywords to complete. For example:
1st Labyrinth needs 4 words. (Im pretty sure this is how many are needed for each labyrinth)
2nd Labyrinth needs 7 words.
3rd Labyrinth needs 11 words.

So if I have to go through all the Labyrinths in order to fight the super bosses, Im pretty sure I'd have to have 11+ words. Which makes a Level 1 Phrekyos impossible to encounter...
#8silktailPosted 1/19/2014 2:23:02 PM
Im pretty sure I'd have to have 11+ words. Which makes a Level 1 Phrekyos impossible to encounter.

Well the FAQs for the PSP version seem to say that; the first 4 main-game key-words will let you learn another 7 keywords from the Labyrinth areas.

So it look like you would have 11 in total. (Although you can learn a 5th main-game key-word with Minwu in the party, so maybe it's 12?.)

I'm afraid I don't see anything about Phrekyos' level though.
---
#9BAEx10(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2014 5:46:20 AM
silktail posted...
Im pretty sure I'd have to have 11+ words. Which makes a Level 1 Phrekyos impossible to encounter.

Well the FAQs for the PSP version seem to say that; the first 4 main-game key-words will let you learn another 7 keywords from the Labyrinth areas.

So it look like you would have 11 in total. (Although you can learn a 5th main-game key-word with Minwu in the party, so maybe it's 12?.)

I'm afraid I don't see anything about Phrekyos' level though.
---

Well I'm going to start a new file soon and see if I can fight him without learning more than 4 words. This whole thing is confusing, but thanks for the help. If I still can't kill him then Ill just wait till end game.