Stat Decreases

#1NisNamanArhatPosted 1/19/2014 7:48:45 AM
I forgot that before Dawn of Souls, certain stats decrease when you increase others that are considered opposite. With this in mind, is it possible to max out all stats, or will decreased stats be equal to increased stats?
#2NisNamanArhat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 7:56:22 AM
I also just read that equipping weapons gives penalty to the Intelligence and Spirit stats, prior to the Dawn of Souls version. Well it makes the game challenging.

Origins may just be the hardest version. While it doesn't have Soul of Rebirth, which requires me to max out Minwu and Josef and Ricard, and equip the latter two with Masamunes in preparation, at least it does have Yoshitaka Amano's artwork.
#3silktailPosted 1/19/2014 11:09:37 AM
certain stats decrease when you increase others that are considered opposite. With this in mind, is it possible to max out all stats, or will decreased stats be equal to increased stats?

You can only gain 1 point in a stat per battle and when you gain the relevant stats then there is only a chance that the other stat will decrease (by 1).

Otherwise the relevant stats are:
Spirit gains can cause Strength to decrease.
Strength gains can cause Intelligence to decrease.
Intelligence gains can cause Endurance to decrease.

Note that you could raise stats in a particular order, so you don't decrease the stats you have already max'ed.

I also just read that equipping weapons gives penalty to the Intelligence and Spirit stats, prior to the Dawn of Souls version.

The magic penalty for weapons (& shields,) had been removed by the FF:Origins version.
I hear it was still in the WonderSwan Color version though.

Note: This magic penalty effects the Intellegence/Spirit bonus to spell accuracy and thus the number of hits. (Rather than the stats themselves.)

Origins may just be the hardest version.

After the original? Or just counting western releases of the game?
---
#4NisNamanArhat(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2014 6:34:21 PM
I wasn't really thinking about the original, so just the western versions.

From the GBA version, the leveling system has been simplified, and the Masamune can be won in the Memory Game.

I haven't played the PSP/iOS version so I wouldn't know, but I heard that the difficulty level is much lower than Origins'.

Spirit, Strength, and Intelligence, got it. Thanks.
#5Duke DarkwoodPosted 1/28/2014 10:38:21 PM
I don't have Dawn of Souls, but I believe the PSP version is directly based on it. (For FF1, I was told that the fifth bonus dungeon was PSP-exclusive. I do not know if anything in FF2 PSP is such.) The biggest change being graphics polishing for the bigger screen. Can't say anything at all about the iOS versions; I will assume until told otherwise that they are based on the GBA/PSP versions.

The thing is, unlike FF1, where I find the GBA/PSP changes to just kill any sort of challenge (90% of that is from the MP issue alone), FF2's PSP version is nowhere near as drastic in its changes. It really only seems to take the sadistic edge off of some things. (Plus, it fixes the cancel glitch, so if one were the kind to abuse that, they'd have the challenge notched up a bit, there.)

Changes I can list to its mechanics:

1:- Lower skill ranks require fewer points per level to attain, rising as you progress until finally being 100/level at rank 13. (I consider this just "streamlining" - as the formulas are mostly unchanged - see item 2 for the one change - it just means the early levels come fast, BUT the "fight ranks" will inhibit growth past a certain point - and the highest levels are fully as strict as originally.)

2: The spell XP formula got a 2x coefficient to number of casts. Still means less skill XP for spells than for weapons, but reduces the gap.

3: Stat increases now have no drawback (the subject of this thread, heh.)

4: Every X battles (I forget the number), you're guaranteed a HP increase. (This can come back to bite you when enemies start doing proportional damage.) The HP increase is still based on your.... what was it, Stamina stat?..., which still only grows under the old rules, so it is not necessarily a BIG increase.

5: Equipment no longer penalizes Spirit (also as mentioned in this thread).

In my opinion, #1 and #2 just streamline matters to reduce grind; the "skill vs. enemy rank" mechanic will keep things mostly balanced. #3 takes the sting out of one of the things that most frustrated players. #4 and #5 were probably plain unnecessary, though. (But still not as bad as FF1 having MP.)

Although, that minigame-granted Masamune was pretty unnecessary. But one can just ignore the minigame.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#6silktailPosted 1/29/2014 6:13:45 PM
For FF1, I was told that the fifth bonus dungeon was PSP-exclusive. I do not know if anything in FF2 PSP is such.

They put in some Ancient Labyrinth dungeons in the PSP version and some new character specific weapons as the reward for completing them.

5: Equipment no longer penalizes Spirit (also as mentioned in this thread).

It's only Weapons & Shields that have no magic penalty so far. (Which effects the spell accuracy bonus from Intelligence & Spirit.)

I.e. All other equipment still has their normal magic penalties.

#4 and #5 were probably plain unnecessary, though. (But still not as bad as FF1 having MP.)

The Auto-HP growth was mostly so people didn't have to beat up their characters to gain more HP.
(They didn't have to in the first place, and I think they still do so anyway.)

The magic penalty removal was to give magic users more freedom to choose their weapons. (And not have the worry of swapping weapons mid-battle, when they cast or attack.)
---